First Pillion Ride Out - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

First Pillion Ride Out

Hi
Here is a quick rundown of my First Pillion Ride Out: Managed to get 10 mile ride out in between the rain showers on Sunday. The bike was sure footed, easy to steer, and handled the extra weight (hope the wife doesnít read this) of the pillion without fuss. Acceleration seemed unaffected, although I didnít really open her up! Although this was only my second ride on the bike I found it much easier, and more confidence inspiring to ride with a pillion than my ZX9R which I have owned for over 3 years.
I have found the distance to the handle bars a little bit too long for me, I have now put them as far back as I can on the standard settings. Hopefully this should be okay, if not I have a pair of extenders at the ready.
Next job is to replace the front brake pads. Has anyone got any tips/pointers on how to do this?
Thanks in advance
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 4:26 pm
Enthusiast

I believe youve got the early calipers marked Brembo on the outside?

If so pretty straight forward, remove caliper, remove R clip from pad pin then the pins knock out from the rear of the caliper to the front, they can get corroded in and you can, like I did end up destroying the pin but they are available from the likes of Motorworks.

Good idea to clean the pistons up while the pads are out but be careful, the pistons on these calipers are not steel but in fact a ceramic compound and you can crack them if not careful, though again complete Piston and seal kits are available at not too bad a price from motorworks

FA407 is the EBC pad no though my fav pads on these were Carbonne Lorraine.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 5:21 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special-K
I believe youve got the early calipers marked Brembo on the outside?

If so pretty straight forward, remove caliper, remove R clip from pad pin then the pins knock out from the rear of the caliper to the front, they can get corroded in and you can, like I did end up destroying the pin but they are available from the likes of Motorworks.

Good idea to clean the pistons up while the pads are out but be careful, the pistons on these calipers are not steel but in fact a ceramic compound and you can crack them if not careful, though again complete Piston and seal kits are available at not too bad a price from motorworks

FA407 is the EBC pad no though my fav pads on these were Carbonne Lorraine.

I think they may be Polymer Plastics them pistons, not ceramic if I judge by an earlier Brembo caliper that I have here.

Irrelevant but for the fact some told me you could not have pistons made out of "polymer plastics' . They have been around for quite a long time.

Mr. OP. stay away from the HH style brake pads, they do not work well with BMW rotors and will eat them up. Carbonne Lorraine are great, from my shade tree mechanic tests, very similar in composition to the BMW/Brembos.

But yes, clean them pistons otherwise I'd have to post pics of dirty ones and say again that pushing dirty pistons back toward the seals may just cause binding and overheated rotors. Lots of that happening all over the forums, always seems to coincide with "quick" pad replacements without cleaning the pistons.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode