Power To GPS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2012, 1:27 am Thread Starter

Power To GPS

Hello all,

I am planning on tapping (solder connection) into the front parking light line to get power up to my GPS. I purchased the Powerlet USB cable and it came with an inline 2amp fuse and ringed connectors to connect directly to the battery. My plan is to shorten 3' long Powerlet cable and toss the battery connectors and the inline fuse.
Any pitfalls with my logic here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2012, 9:01 am
Addict

You should be OK. Just be sure the connections are solid and waterproof. Also, be sure there are no loose wire runs waiting to snag the suspension or sit on something really hot.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2012, 3:38 pm

Frankly, I use the direct battery connection with the inline fuse and don't tap into the bikes harness. I see no disadvantage to this and it doesn't put any additional demand on the bikes wiring.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2012, 8:01 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFidel
Frankly, I use the direct battery connection with the inline fuse and don't tap into the bikes harness. I see no disadvantage to this and it doesn't put any additional demand on the bikes wiring.....
The only problem with a direct to battery connection is, you don't get the power switched off on the GPS when you shut off the ignition. Many are those who forget to shut off the accessory.! DEAD Battery

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2012, 9:00 pm

If it's a Garmin unit with an internal battery pack, shutting off the GPS will not prevent your bike's battery from becoming flat. Hook two batteries together, which is what you are doing with the GPS wired permanently hot, and in a week or less of non-riding you'll have a flat battery on the bike. Don't ask how I know this. The technical explanation of why this happens is, I'm sure, packed with fizzicks and IEE theory--but in practice, that's the way it works. Connect two batteries, leave 'em sit with no use nor input charging, and in a surprisingly short time you have dead batteries.

Best,

GTRider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode