Newbie - Returning rider - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2012, 1:24 am Thread Starter
Noob

Newbie - Returning rider

Hello,
My name is Kevin. I recently purchased a 2000 K1200RS. I am not "new" to motorcycles, but it was a long time ago when last I had one. This is my first BMW and so far, I am in love. The bike was "dropped" by the last owner at low speed. Most of the damage was cosmetic, but the ABS system no longer works (flashing lights on the indicator panel). Any ideas where I should start looking? The bike runs good, and feels solid on the highway. The only other issue that I have noticed is the "noise" whine, and rattle at an idle (according to this forum, that seems to normal). I will probably have quite a few questions in the future, but for now, this is it... Thanks. It does not yet have fuel QD's. I am sure I will be adding those in the future. Thanks for all the help!

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2012, 5:53 am
Noob

failing start up diagnostics

first thing to look at is the rear brake pedal switch. if the pedal is bent and not coming in contact with the switch to completely close the circuit the diagnostics will fail and you will get a continuous flashing light. turn the ignition on, do not start the engine, and pull the rear brake pedal up with your foot. good chance if the switch closes the diagnostics light will stop the rapid flashing and continue with a much slower pulse. once the flashing light slows, start the engine and pull away, the light will stop flashing and turn off.
if the switch is defective, a continuity test will confirm the problem.

2004 k1200 gt
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2012, 2:46 pm
Addict

Um, if you have a continuously flashing ABS light, you do not have full braking. This bike is not safe to ride until the problem is sorted out.

AFAIK, there is no electrical connection between the brake pedal and the rear brake light switch. The pedal moves, it tugs on a spring going to the brake light switch. If the brake light isn't on even if the bike is running but going nowhere, it's not likely to be the brake switch. To be sure, if you can get the brake light to come on by activating the switch, then it's really not the switch. If the light won't come on, even if the pedal moves, that's not a good sign. But it could be a bad switch, it could be an open wire, it could be... many things.

Frankly, this is one I'd give to the BMW techs unless you're very good at sorting out BMW brake systems. Get it wrong and... only more so.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Noob

RB is right, don't ride the bike without fully functioning brakes.
if your bike was dropped by the previous owner, perhaps the brake pedal is bent and not making correct contact with the rear brake light switch.
from the clymer manual:
the rear brake light switch is mounted on the inside of the right front footpeg holder.
1. remove the seat and the right side cover (chapter 16)
2. trace the wiring harness from the switch to its harness connector and disconnect it.
3. check for continuity between the two terminals on the switch side connector. there should be continuity with the brake pedal applied and no continuity with the pedal released.

if your switch or the brake pedal alignment is the problem your solution will be minor. if it is something else, perhaps more complex. good luck, i hope it is a simple fix.

2004 k1200 gt
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2012, 8:13 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLago
Hello,
My name is Kevin. I recently purchased a 2000 K1200RS. I am not "new" to motorcycles, but it was a long time ago when last I had one. This is my first BMW and so far, I am in love. The bike was "dropped" by the last owner at low speed. Most of the damage was cosmetic, but the ABS system no longer works (flashing lights on the indicator panel). Any ideas where I should start looking? The bike runs good, and feels solid on the highway. The only other issue that I have noticed is the "noise" whine, and rattle at an idle (according to this forum, that seems to normal). I will probably have quite a few questions in the future, but for now, this is it... Thanks. It does not yet have fuel QD's. I am sure I will be adding those in the future. Thanks for all the help!

Kevin
You begin by saying that yours is a year 2000 model - in such case you have the simpler ABSII system. The more complicated Integral-ABS (IABS) is only installed in 2002 (USA export) or most 2001 and later for Europe and Canada.

Contrary to some earlier posting, I will say that with ABSII, when the warning lights are showing a fault , you still have full 100% braking capability - BUT you do not have the additional margin of the ABS function if you lock one of the wheel while braking.

Another particularity of ABSII (compare to IABS) is that a fault is permanent until the system is reset - thus you need to have a GS911 or go to the dealer to reset the fault. Even if the fault is not present anymore, the warning lights will continue to flash until the ABS fault is reset.

The ABSII system has fewer sensors and the internal self-check is more simple (no fuild level sensors). In most cases for ABSII, a fault is caused by either:
1) a low battery voltage
2) one of the wheel sensors is damaged
3) the gap of one of the wheel sensor is incorrect
(must be between 0.020 - 0.022 inch or 0.45 - 0.55 mm)

If you bike was dropped, I would start with item 2 and 3 above and have the dealer reset the fault. The front wheel sensor is more easily damaged during a fall.

Also, just in case some air was introduced in the system, I would also bleed both brakes sub-system (this is more simple on your ABSII system).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2012, 10:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for all the input. I did bleed the system, It dosen't seem to have any air in the system. The brake pedal switch seems to be working, but it is a little buggered. I think a trip to Missoula to have the dealer give it a once-over would probably be money well spent. Thanks again for the input and advice.

KEV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode