Wobbly Handling - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2012, 12:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Wobbly Handling

I own a 2007 model K1200GT and have been very pleased with the bike thus far except for one thing; it seems imprecise, wobbly and maybe a bit unsteady. Not the rock-solid I read about. The tires (Bridgestone) still have acceptable tread and the dampening/preload is set correctly. It is a bit un-nerving the way the bike wobbles underneath me as I ride it through turns (left in particular). It just seems unsteady. Please advise. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2012, 1:50 pm
Rookie

It's prolly your tires or shocks.
Once a tire has over 6,000 miles it will loose it's handling, even if it has a lot of tread left.
A highly rated tire is the PR-3. When new it will make a bike handle better then when it was new. Even if your shocks are worn.
The next step is shocks.
If you have over 50,000 miles on the original shocks they are done.
A lot of people don't even get these numbers, they replace tires at 4,000 miles and shocks at 40,000.
I replace my tires at around 12,000 miles just because of the crappy handling.
My record was 22,000 miles and the cord was showing
If your bike is following the cracks in the freeway it's time.

03 KRS BLACK
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2012, 5:50 pm
Addict

i agree with the above ,tire's play a huge roll ,once i got my new tire's the bike was so much better ...good luck

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2012, 11:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgjkc1
I own a 2007 model K1200GT and have been very pleased with the bike thus far except for one thing; it seems imprecise, wobbly and maybe a bit unsteady. Not the rock-solid I read about. The tires (Bridgestone) still have acceptable tread and the dampening/preload is set correctly. It is a bit un-nerving the way the bike wobbles underneath me as I ride it through turns (left in particular). It just seems unsteady. Please advise. Thanks
Noticed your location. Are you experiencing this in wind? I've found the GT to be predictably unsteady in gusty winds. Over time it's no big deal.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2012, 7:09 am
Addict

Er, if anything, as tires wear in, they become a little less "twitchy" and responsive (the profile flattens out). First and foremost, check the air pressure. 36 PSI in the front, 42 PSI in the back is a good starting point (you could try 38/44, but not much more and no less than 36/42, the factory spec). Pressure checks must be done before riding the bike.

Past that, check for excessive play in the wheels (possible failed bearing?) and suspension. Unless there's been significant damage or the shocks are leaking, I'd think more about the bearings if checking tire pressure doesn't help. And, finally, are you carrying a lot of stuff in the bags? A lot of weight in the back could make the bike feel loose.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2012, 8:02 am
Throttle Jockey

This thread is in the wrong forum.

Some early new generation K bikes had front fork ball joint issues. I would check those also.

Last edited by rickd; Jun 1st, 2012 at 8:36 am.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2012, 5:01 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson
36 PSI in the front, 42 PSI in the back is a good starting point (you could try 38/44, but not much more and no less than 36/42, the factory spec). Pressure checks must be done before riding the bike.
Interesting thing about BMW recommended tire pressures. Why do they recommend the same high pressures whether solo or two up with maximum luggage? Most manufacturers including car manufacturers recommend a range of tire pressures depending on load. Admittedly when I was on stock shocks I ran 36/42 psi, and even 40/42psi to stop excessive understeer. With Ohlins I now run 34/36 and even 32/34 on a hot day at the track (sorry, rider training day ) and handling is superb with very neutral steering. Is BMW recommending high pressures to make up for inadequate oem suspension... Many have said this before me, but a suspension upgrade is potentially the best money you will ever throw at these bikes. And when you are done, put the old shocks back on and sell the upgrades on fleabay

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2012, 11:30 am
Noob

Quote:
Check the alignment see if it pulls to the right or left, on a good staright road at about 50 to 75 mph turn the cruise on and take you hands off the handle bars the bike should stay straight. Most if not all of these bikes BMW's pull to the right or left some are worse than others, this is not good.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2012, 3:22 pm
Addict

Quote:
Rereading your thread, I think you are on the wrong page. This is the classic brick page and I suspect you have a new gen model (2007 GT). Post on that forum and you will get answers to your specific model. Search scottsGT thread and have a (long) read of his handling issues as it may be similar to your handling issue. You will find it in the similar threads at the bottom of this page. Good luck and enjoy your bike. They are great machines

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2012, 8:29 pm
Addict

Um, er, yes... OP did say '07. NTL, the tire air pressure specs are right for an '07.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode