Rear Caliper Bleeder Leak - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2012, 2:09 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Rear Caliper Bleeder Leak

I installed speed bleeders last brake fluid change on 03 GT. The rear caliper bleeder leaked (more like seeped) about a drop or two after a couple hundred miles. I continuted to tighten the speed bleeder a few more times until I felt uncomfortable about turning it further. I removed and polished the bleeder seat, no help, the speed bleeder continued to leak.

I misplaced the original bleeder so I bought a new "standard" bleeder from the BMW dealer and installed. This bleeder leaks too in spite of several tightens. Same deal, about a drop after a few hundred miles - the inside of the rubber cap is wet, so I feel confident that the bleeder is the leak.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2012, 4:39 am
Addict

There will always be a drop of fluid left behind inside the bleed nipple. After opening the bleeded nipple and closing, I would dry that out with some paper tissue and a cocktail stick. Then see if the fluid is still coming through. It is not the odo mileage that is important, but how often you use the brake!

If you hold your foot down on the pedal you should not have to wait long to see fluid if the nipple is leaking. Check it is coming from the nipple and not the threads.

First time around when you fitted the non-oem part you could have damaged the taper seat at the bottom of the slave caliper and/or the thread. There is no easy fix I would suggest here for that.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2012, 1:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
There will always be a drop of fluid left behind inside the bleed nipple. .
Agree...that is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2012, 2:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the replies. Agree that the miles don't matter, but time standing on the brake. In time more than a drop ends up spattered on the wheel - so I don't think it's leftovers. I do think the seat surface in the caliper was damaged by the speed bleeder.

The author of the brake bleed procedure posted on this site had the same leaking problem with a speed bleeder on the rear caliper - but wisely abandoned it for the stock bleeder instead of continued tightening. Found a used caliper at beemerboneyard for a reasonable price, so I got it. Expensive lesson.

K1200RS/GT Classic owners beware of the incompatibility of Speed Bleeder on the rear caliper. I have them installed at every other bleed point without issue.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2012, 6:09 pm
Addict

I have always puzzled over why people seem so smitten with those things. I have always worked with 'standard' bleed nipples on every vehicle.

Although I have a hand vacuum bleeder, most of the time I use a long length of silicone tube which reaches the floor and my capture pot. The end of the tube is blocked off and I put a 1/2" long slit in it with my scalpel. Procedure is a belt and braces 'manual bleed' - squeeze brake/clutch lever/pedal, slightly open bleed screw, drain out some fluid, close nipple, release lever/pedal. If things are not going well with trapped air, I bring out the vacuum bleeder.

I find this pretty speedy and I am using the oem compatible bleed nipples - so what am I missing out on? Ah I know, my oem bleed nipples look brown and tarnished, instead of bright red alochrome!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode