Updated process Bleeding ABS III Integral K1200 gt - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2012, 10:12 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Updated process Bleeding ABS III Integral 2004 K1200 gt

With bulletin BMW #34 002 06 (019) of April 2006 they changed required interval for flushing brakes and also method for bleeding the Control Circuits (the tougher process of bleeding )

I did a lot of searching and looked at forums and found 2 very good papers.
A) BMW Integral ABS Systems Flushing and Bleeding 101 from Dana Hager and Charles Gilman and
B) K1200RS/GT Brake bleeding from Gary Hollinger

Some comments/questions...
1) On paper A) at the beginning it talks about Right Front Caliper/Clutch Filler adapter. The picture shows a Brembo caliper which I believe is used in ABS 2 systems (not the integral) so the bleeding in those systems is different and easier? The newer ABS III Integral system have the BMW Calipers (as he shows later in his paper)

2) Paper A) shows different method to bleed the Front and rear WHEEL CIRCUIT than Paper B) . I guess Paper A) From Hager and Gilman is for another model or post 2005 year of K1200?

3) if we follow Gary's paper we would have to modify his front and rear CONTROL Circuit method by only flushing what he shows as F3 Front Control Circuit and R3 rear control Circuit.

Just wanting to double check my assumptions before starting the process
Attached Files
File Type: pdf drain fluids k1200rs.pdf (590.9 KB, 527 views)
File Type: pdf 34 002 06 (019) - Brake fluid intervals.pdf (88.5 KB, 339 views)
File Type: pdf service_abs3 but check new fluid interval .pdf (1.34 MB, 376 views)

Last edited by mayojuaf; Jun 10th, 2012 at 1:46 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2012, 8:30 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayojuaf
With bulletin BMW #34 002 06 (019) of April 2006 they changed required interval for flushing brakes and also method for bleeding the Control Circuits (the tougher process of bleeding )

I did a lot of searching and looked at forums and found 2 very good papers.
A) BMW Integral ABS Systems Flushing and Bleeding 101 from Dana Hager and Charles Gilman and
B) K1200RS/GT Brake bleeding from Gary Hollinger

Some comments/questions...
1) On paper A) at the beginning it talks about Right Front Caliper/Clutch Filler adapter. The picture shows a Brembo caliper which I believe is used in ABS 2 systems (not the integral) so the bleeding in those systems is different and easier? The newer ABS III Integral system have the BMW Calipers (as he shows later in his paper)

2) Paper A) shows different method to bleed the Front and rear WHEEL CIRCUIT than Paper B) . I guess Paper A) From Hager and Gilman is for another model or post 2005 year of K1200?

3) if we follow Gary's paper we would have to modify his front and rear CONTROL Circuit method by only flushing what he shows as F3 Front Control Circuit and R3 rear control Circuit.

Just wanting to double check my assumptions before starting the process
I would suggest that you continue with the full procedure and ignore the Service-Bulletin - let me explain:

I do all my maintenance since my 2002 (K1200RS was bought new in 2002). For the first 5 years, I did the whole complete procedure (all bleed points of the ABS-Modulator for the control-circuit). Around 2007 or 2008, I learned about the so-called "simplified" procedure and began with that regime for 4 years.

About 6 months ago, someone who I respect told me that he had to do a full procedure because he had replaced his brake hoses. He was shocked at the dirty brake fluid that came out from some of the bleed points on the ABS-Unit. He confirmed that he had done like me and had used the "simplified" procedure for the last 4 years. At that point, I decided to do a full bleed procedure on mine and got the same dirty fluid out of my unit.

We both had done our maintenance for the last 9 or 10 years and we both had never seen fluid as dirty coming out of the ABS-Unit. Either it is just a fluke and they all do that as they get old (the ABS-unit) or is is based on the fact the "simplified" procedure leaves some old fluid behind. Based on this experidence, you should decide what you want to do with your bike....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode