throttle cables in a bad spot - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2012, 1:36 am Thread Starter
Noob

throttle cables in a bad spot

Well a few things wrong with it (in my opinion). First it runs right in front of the clock/gear indicator. Second when I turn handle bars to the left it pulls at the cable and revs to about 2k-2.5k rpms. Anyone ever had this issue and found a solution? Thanks.

Honda Nighthawk-50mph+raccoon=totaled
1986 Honda Magna V45-sold to a tween for his 1st bike=future totaled bike
1999 BMW K1200RS DAKAR-I'm 23 years old and this thing will probably be running after I'm dead, it is a Beamer. Love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2012, 8:38 am
Veteran

I don't think yours are routed properly. From the grip they go down and left right away and then back over the left rad. Then they are clipped in one very specific location on the fan housing. There is even, or should be, white/green tape on the cables which marks the location as to where they are clipped. Using plural here because the later bikes with CC have 2 cables but same should apply with yours.

Some of that is in the manuals, not sure if Clymer or BMW I can look later. I think I also have pics of them clips somewhere.

All bets are off if you have barbacks, them cables do not have much extra lenght to accomodate re-routing or such.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2012, 5:51 am
Addict

With barbacks my cables were in front of the clocks. For years I have had a small fine stainless steel spring drawing the throttle cable to the triple tree that works fine. It allows the cable to extend on full steering lock, but pulls it back nicely clear of the clocks in the center position.

Experiment with a rubber elastic band and you will get the idea.

There has to be slack in the cable to allow it to move. Using a tensioning device gives the best of both worlds.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode