K1200RS Windshield Suggestions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2012, 9:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1200RS Windshield Suggestions

Howdy,

I've been a member of many other forums for many years and am super glad to be here. Recently bought a 2002 K1200RS with 27K. I got turned onto the bike with my dads 2001 K1200RS Dakar. I need a new windshield as mine is scuffed up and aged. I've been looking all around and it looks like I've only got 2 options:

1) Stock OEM
2) or Ztechnik

I really wanted a Aeroflow but they don't have the mounting hardware anymore.

I can't stand the idea of paying full price for an OEM windshield and Ztechnik seems like too high a price.

Do I need to bite the bullet and spend full price or are there any other options? I haven't seen any used ones in good shape for sale on any forums.

**This is the only missing piece in my perfect puzzle**

Thanks in advance,

Choppstyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2012, 10:47 pm
Veteran

Actually you have 3 choices....

1-Stock OEM
2-Comfort OEM
3-Aftermarket.

Keep your eyes on FleaBay, I picked a pretty good stock one there for not much money and also picked a Comfort from a member on another forum for even less money.

And there also, but all that stuff seems to come up more in the winter: http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 4:49 pm
Noob

company called parabellum makes a shield called super tourer. comes in 2 sizes. 6" higher and 6" wider or 8"higher and 6" wider. depends on what youre looking for though. dont know if you just want another stock shield or if youre looking for something w/ more protection. within a few weeks i'll be buying one of the shields i mentioned so i could let you know how it is

Honda Nighthawk-50mph+raccoon=totaled
1986 Honda Magna V45-sold to a tween for his 1st bike=future totaled bike
1999 BMW K1200RS DAKAR-I'm 23 years old and this thing will probably be running after I'm dead, it is a Beamer. Love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 4:13 pm
Enthusiast

Is it for wind protection of cosmetics? My stock screen has not been on since I got the S-bike. But the stock is so low that I was never looking 'through' it and if one ever did it would be too distorted to be of use. So, after mine got cosmetically challenged by some brake fluid, I buffed the top the front a bit and then used a flat black spray on the back side (metallic black bike). Looks great and holds up well, esp since bugs and stones hit the other side not the paint I sprayed. If you scuff it, just respray....You could do any color or pattern.
I had a spare set of hardware last fall I sent it to a fella back east as he found the same situation as you that Aeroflow no longer makes the mounting kit. Good luck with your endeavors.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:22 pm
Noob

I have the stock hight windshield, it never did provide much protection. I have a friend with a Kawasaki 1100 with a small windshield, his provided even less protection. He bought a "Laminar Lip", I was so impressed with the change, I bought one. I still look over the top of the windshield, but I don't get anywhere near the buffeting or bugs, especially at highway speeds. I don't know enough about aerodynamics to tell you how it works, but it does, and very well! I ran through a swarm of may-flies the other night , normally this is a ride stopping experience while you clean your face-shield. I had only one bug splatter! I love this thing! They go up and over!

Kevin
Great Falls, MT

Y2K BMW K1200RS "Flying Taxi"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 9:57 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for all your input. Im going to to go for a new-ish stock shield with the laminar lip upgrade. I had a laminar lip on my r1200gs and liked it............

Thank you,

Choppastyle
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppastyle
Howdy,

I've been a member of many other forums for many years and am super glad to be here. Recently bought a 2002 K1200RS with 27K. I got turned onto the bike with my dads 2001 K1200RS Dakar. I need a new windshield as mine is scuffed up and aged. I've been looking all around and it looks like I've only got 2 options:

1) Stock OEM
2) or Ztechnik

I really wanted a Aeroflow but they don't have the mounting hardware anymore.

I can't stand the idea of paying full price for an OEM windshield and Ztechnik seems like too high a price.

Do I need to bite the bullet and spend full price or are there any other options? I haven't seen any used ones in good shape for sale on any forums.

**This is the only missing piece in my perfect puzzle**

Thanks in advance,

Choppstyle
I just removed my Aeroflow Touring and installed the BMW Comfort shield. I also removed the bar backs as I believe the bike handles better stock. I'll post back after 500 miles or so. The way I feel today it seems like I may be selling the Aeroflow shield and hardware. I liked the Aeroflow, but it blocked too much wind for my tastes.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick2000
I just removed my Aeroflow Touring and installed the BMW Comfort shield. I also removed the bar backs as I believe the bike handles better stock. I'll post back after 500 miles or so. The way I feel today it seems like I may be selling the Aeroflow shield and hardware. I liked the Aeroflow, but it blocked too much wind for my tastes.
I now have over 1400 miles on the BMW touring shield . Barbacks also removed. This set up works best for me as I like a sportier position and a bit of wind. I do not notice the buffeting so much , but I do wear earplugs and I ride naked bikes frequently. I may regret it this winter, but the Aeroflow is now for sale in the classifieds.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2012, 9:53 am
Noob

I have a stock windshield in good used condition(a few light scratches). I'll sell it to you for $100. I have the same bike as your dad. I bought this windshield online as it said 2001(late model). I figured out when it got here that late model meant that it didn't fit as there was a redesign mid-year . Anyway if you're still looking for a solution I'd be happy to help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode