K12rs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2012, 1:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K12rs

I just purchased a 2000 K12RS, 29 500k's. Runs smooth but very, very heavy on fuel. Filled up yesterday, did 105 k's, filled again today and it took 13.5 liters! WTF??? Surely this cannot be normal. Also when I started it this morning, it smoked quite heavily for a minute or two and then it was normal. Topend seems to be around 210 - 220. I sold my Blackbird and already I regret it, if this is what I'm going to get from the RS. What do I look for to solve this problem? I'm desparate as I would like to do a lot of travelling but with the price of fuel in RSA this will make it a financial killer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2012, 3:10 pm
Veteran

Are you saying 210-220 Km/hr top speed? Then there is something wrong with it. Unless that is one of them kW limited ones???? 72 kW vs ours at 96kW???

Burning lots of gas at high speeds that's for sure but yours seems pretty bad.

Smoke on start up is somewhat normal for them, helps if you lean the bike to the right and keep it there for a few seconds before/as you shut down and use the side stand. That way oil doesn't find its way into the cylinders but drains towards the sump.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2012, 3:38 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deonv
I just purchased a 2000 K12RS, 29 500k's. Runs smooth but very, very heavy on fuel. Filled up yesterday, did 105 k's, filled again today and it took 13.5 liters! WTF??? Surely this cannot be normal. Also when I started it this morning, it smoked quite heavily for a minute or two and then it was normal. Topend seems to be around 210 - 220. I sold my Blackbird and already I regret it, if this is what I'm going to get from the RS. What do I look for to solve this problem? I'm desparate as I would like to do a lot of travelling but with the price of fuel in RSA this will make it a financial killer.
Other than a fuel leak, the 2 most common causes of vey high fuel consumption are:

1) Defective Oxygen-Sensor (BOSCH): this is located in the 1st third of the exhaust. It can be checked either by the BMW dealer's test system OR a GS-911. The GS-911 is a 3rd party diagnostic and faults reader for BMW motorcycles.

2) Defective engine temperature sensor (BOSCH): this one feeds the correct info to the ECU (Electronic fuel management) to adjust fuel mixture. In general, when it is defective, the bike does not run well (performance wise). The dealer and a GS-911 are also usefull to test if this sensor is giving correct info. If you are handy with a Multi-Meter, you can do a quick check of resistance when engine is cold and also when hot. See this link for pictures - make sure you read text attached to each picture.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1014897...eratureSensor#

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2012, 8:49 pm
Enthusiast

my 2001 RS gets 42 to 45 miles per gallon, I am not sure of your metric KPG figures. Park your bike on the center stand as much as possible to stop oil from getting into cylinders and causing smoke at start up

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 6:09 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
my 2001 RS gets 42 to 45 miles per gallon, I am not sure of your metric KPG figures. Park your bike on the center stand as much as possible to stop oil from getting into cylinders and causing smoke at start up
Mike,
I assume the original poster is either from Europe or Canada where fuel comsumpion is published as "How many liters per 100 Km". The value he has published are way over the normal for the K1200RS - unless he is keeping the engine in the 7000 to 8000 RPM range all the time ;-)

Over the last 10 years, I got "6 to 6.5 liters per 100 Km". This corresponds roughly to 38 - 42 miles per US gallons. This is also the average value(s) published on many K1200RS forums over the years. If you ride very conservative on the highway (at 60 mph or 100 Km/H), you can get 10% better.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 7:00 am
Enthusiast

Personally the first and easiest thing to check would be the air filter, if thats clogged the MPG or KmLt will go through the roof. I imagine RSA can be dusty?

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 12:20 pm

Poor Fuel Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deonv
44mpg Fully laden with Pillion, full panniers, and top box. Which is about 6.6l to 100km
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 1:17 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special-K
Personally the first and easiest thing to check would be the air filter, if thats clogged the MPG or KmLt will go through the roof. I imagine RSA can be dusty?
Tim,
For an engine with carburettors, you are right that the air-filter would be the 1st and easiest thing to check.

BUT the K1200RS is fuel-injected; thus the fuel-management system with the help of the oxygen sensor will compensate (up to a point) for a clogged air-filter. Performance will be less, but the fuel consumption should not double as he has mentioned.

This being said, I have seen motorcycle having little critter nest in the air-filter after a long storage period - so this is not impossible and should be checked. Unfortunately the K1200RS air-filter is not easy to check (and clean) for a beginner who is not comfortable wrenching on this bike.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 1:54 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
Tim,
For an engine with carburettors, you are right that the air-filter would be the 1st and easiest thing to check.

BUT the K1200RS is fuel-injected; thus the fuel-management system with the help of the oxygen sensor will compensate (up to a point) for a clogged air-filter. Performance will be less, but the fuel consumption should not double as he has mentioned.

This being said, I have seen motorcycle having little critter nest in the air-filter after a long storage period - so this is not impossible and should be checked. Unfortunately the K1200RS air-filter is not easy to check (and clean) for a beginner who is not comfortable wrenching on this bike.

Yep forgot about that, I stand corrected, I'll get me coat

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode