Just purchased a 2002 K1200RS, 27k miles - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 8:51 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Just purchased a 2002 K1200RS, 27k miles

I'm really excited about this bike, moving up from a Jap naked 650 to this machine. Got my test ride yesterday, love the ergo, larger windshield and over all feel of the bike. I was worried about the weight, but that didn't seem to really play into my ride. I think it will moving it into it's new home in my garage!

My independent BMW repair shop did a pre-purchase inspection for me and came up with 3 minor things. Oil weeping from timing cover, he says this is common, light oil showing at the transmission, not dripping (yet) and a stiff throttle.

He also said my brake fluid was 4% water? And that should be replaced very soon as replacing the ABS is much more costly then the fluid replacement. ($260)

I'm hoping to learn to tinker with my own bike, and I think I'll start with the throttle and oil change after the shop replaces my brake fluid. I've read somewhere that the stiff throttle is an easy fix? Can anyone guide me where to look to find the procedure?

Thanks,
mrbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 11:26 am
Noob

Here's a thread from i-bmw that you may find helpful. Stiff Throttle
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 11:51 am
Veteran

Throttle, the mechanism at the grip may be full of crap. Yep....happened to me and it was an easy fix.

I had the "others" also, Timing cover and Tranny weep, not so easy them fixes but they can be ignored for a while. I did until the winter....!

I said weep for the tranny. A large leak I would not ignore, there is a BMW bulletin that says "Gear Oil" leaking out of the tranny will go down the driveshaft and degrade the rubber dampener built into said driveshaft. Now specifically K-bike that bulletin but still applies to the Ks.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 12:03 pm
Addict

Throttle, if you are used to Jap bikes the BMW seems to need a Gorilla grip or a big German with long strong arms. I went for the Gunsmoke modification 1 week after riding the bike and would never go back to stock.

You may have cruise (?) and there may be more to think about keeping the cable friction down, but this gives you an idea:

http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling...ing/index.html

Oil leaks are tedious. The timing cover leak is a perennial but can be done fairly easily taking a lot of care. Leaks from the transmission seal however are much more work and if too bad will get to the clutch.

You need to clean up and wipe off oil first then start riding the bike some miles. Always best to put in a couple of K miles before doing anything. That gives you time to ride the best of the weather keeping an eye on things and put a plan together for later. Then you can do most of the jobs in one downtime session rather than firefight each issue separately.

Did you buy from the independent BMW shop or private? If you bought from the shop I would be surprised at them selling a bike without fluids including brake fluid replaced? If they just did an inspection on a Private purchase then they seem to have come up with some good points.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Jul 8th, 2012 at 12:09 pm.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 3:31 pm
Addict

The throttle thing may be, as some suggest, either crap between the grip and bar or a lack of manly wrist muscles. Do wrist curls to get manly muscles. Otherwise, carefully disassemble the grip (watch out for the wiring for the heated grip!!!), clean it up with WD-40 and rags, lubricate it with Boeshield (Teflon grease in a liquid carrier), and re-assemble it. To reset the throttle position sensor, turn on the ignition and turn the throttle to full throttle and back (do not just let it snap back) three times, turn off the ignition, all done.

The oil weeps should be tracked by cleaning the area (go with WD-40 as a solvent) and looking to see how long it takes for a track to show up, If it's in a hurry, not so good. If it takes a few weeks of active riding... meh... clean it up and watch it.

4% water in the brake fluid?!? At the very least, have the fluid drained, the system flushed, and re-filled. I'd want to know what the fluid looks like as it comes out (clean or cloudy or ...horrors... with lumps in it). Frankly, this is something that makes me wonder how straight up the inspecting tech or the dealer is. This should have raised some red flags if it's for real. And it makes me wonder if it is for real. I'm just sayin'...

Finally, REPLACE THE QUICK DISCONNECTS ! ! ! There are two quick disconnect fittings (one for the feed and on for the return) fuel lines between the tank and engine. BMW used plastic parts that fail (there are QD's that have failed, and the rest will fail) and recall was issued to change to metal QD's. Unfortunately, not all bikes were set up with metal QD's. Look through the tupperware on the right side, over the crankcase, and you'll see at least one of the two QD's. If you see silver metal parts, you're probably good to go (check them both!). If you see white plastic parts, ground the bike until they're replaced. Failures can result in gas pouring out of the line with the damaged QD. If you're lucky, it's "only" a gas spill, if not...

See Beemer Boneyard for replacements.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection with BMW Motorrad or Beemer Boneyard save as a customer. Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included. Some assembly required.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 9:27 pm

+1 on getting the fuel disconnects replaced ASAP.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2012, 12:01 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the tips!

I appreciate your comments, I'm sure I'll be here often as I learn the ins and outs of this bike.

The current owner already took care of the fuel tank (quick connects) it sounds like they are no longer quick connects so I will find out how it was repaired once I get into working on the bike.

I rode the bike about 25 miles, and personally, I didn't have an issue with the throttle, although it was obviously different then my sv650, this was just something that came up on the inspection, and the owner mentioned it also. Since it does have cruise control, probably a moot point for the time being. It may keep me from grabbing too much throttle as I get use to the bike.

The BMW mechanic is independent and I paid to have a pre-purchase inspection knowing there are some quirks with the k1200. Beemers and More in Fort Collins is a trusted repair facility and I have had them taking care of my last 2 rides on major items that I didn't trust myself to work on.

My plan is to have the brake fluid service done right after I get the bike next week, and keep a watch on the other leaks as I enjoy the rest of the riding season. I'll probably go ahead and replace the coolant as I'm sure this is original also.

I'll be planning my late fall maintenance and service items and bugging you all regulary as I start working on this beauty.

thanks again!

mrbill
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2012, 2:54 am
Addict

As long as the throttle is behaving well (no hangups, etc.), "if it ain't broke..." Have fun doing those wrist curls...

If the plastic QD's are gone, you're good to roll, but... the tank has to come off for any number of reasons, hence the QD's. In addition to simplifying breaking the fuel lines, they also close off the lines when the lines are broken. With that in mind, get a set and put them in after running the tank down.

On the brake fluid, the concern is whether or not the ABS system is suffering from water or moisture-induced corrosion. Given what the brakes do to improve your riding experience (small bit of humor that), it strikes me as prudent to confirm nothing adverse has happened or might happen.

Finally, if you're into DIY, invest in a Clymer service manual for the bike.

Past that, go get some miles on the rascal - that's what it's there for!

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2012, 10:38 am
Veteran

I see SV650 before. You'll like the K1200RS. Much better bike on them bad roads we have up here. I know that for sure, found a SV650 dead roadside last week, lots of scratches and broken plastics and that wasn't even in one of the bad curves with huge dips in the middle that could send a light bike flying off the road. Lucky him,otherwise I may have met the ambulance again up there.

The other SV650 or similar who tought he was a little Rossi as I followed him for a while saturday, don't know never saw him again after I passed him.

Watch that throttle..... but yeah with the extra "cruise push cable" you can shut it down somehow if it does stick.Mind you if it does stick when the cruise is engaged, it may not release when applying the brakes or not "resume" if you crank up for passing and will keep accelerating. If in 4th gear hang on... Happened to me and wasn't much fun until I did a quick roadside repair with WD40. Got home a couple days later and removed the little cover under the controls, that exposes the pulleys/cable mechanism and no need to remove the grip for a better lube job with Teflon. Last winter however I pulled the grip out and cleaned the gritty OEM lube out of there.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2012, 11:08 am

I'm just over the "hills" and to the west in Utardia.....my 2 cents....

Deal with the brakes ASAP....the servo ABS units are finicky and if neglected, will break down....replacement is expensive......

Otherwise, ride and enjoy.......this isn't a Jap bike nor a 650cc lightweight so you will notice slow speeds are more work but the more you can open up, the better the ride........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode