left heated grip not working - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2012, 7:01 am Thread Starter
Noob

left heated grip not working

Right one is super hot like it should be. Left hand grip isn't working at all. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Choppastyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2012, 8:07 am
Veteran

After much riding in the fall thinking I'd have to repair the heating wire inside mine, I found it disconnected.

Connectors should be hiding in the loom running along the right hand side tube, sort of just below the instruments. No locks on them connectors.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2012, 5:18 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppastyle
Right one is super hot like it should be. Left hand grip isn't working at all. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Choppastyle
Troubleshooting this stuff can be frustrating sometimes - so you need to structure your steps and have a logical plan of attack:

1) Since one is working, we start with the assumption that the handlebar switch is OK and that the fuse is OK (only 1 fuse for both).

2) Each side (Left and right) has a simple 2 wires connectors that leads into a 4 wires WHITE PLASTIC connector behind the fork (see attached picture).

Unless you have very small hands, you will need to remove the front fairing and 1 or both side fairing to test the Voltage and Resistance at the connector.

3) With the ignition OFF, using an OhmMeter, compare the resistance of each wire pairs (Left and Right) - you should unplug each pair from the big White connector so that you are reading the resistance leading to the heating element only. BMW has not documented the value in OHMS, but for a working Heated-grip the resistance is fairly low. When the element is shorting or one of the wire broken between connector and Grips, teh resistance is very high or infinite. Compare the good working side resistance with the other side - they should be close when all is OK.

4) If you could not conclude a defective grip in the test above, you should now test for voltage at the WHITE connector for each side (each pair of wires). With Ignition ON and the Heated-grip switch at HIGH, you should read close to 12 volts for each side. If I remember (not 100% sure), when the heated-grip is set to LOW, you will get a lower voltage (approx 6 volts). Watch your time as you work with the Heated-grips ON as you may drain your battery - 5 min should be OK.

If you have found a problem in step 3 (most common cause) you might be able to repair by removing the rubber only and checking if one of the wires is cut inside the grip-tube. You can buy 1 side only from your BMW dealer, but it is not cheap (approx $110 each) - you get the "heated-tube + rubber + wires" as an assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Heated_grips_connector_from_left_side.JPG
Views:	682
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	13713  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2012, 6:13 pm
Veteran

Another change....

Mine is a 2003 and doesn't have the 4 wire connector where the other 2s go in. Two 2 wires connectors coming out of the harness and 2 coming from the grips. May make checking out the voltage/Ohms easier in confined place if the OP's bike is like mine. But sure did make shrink sealing them easier,so they don't disconnect anymore.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2012, 5:15 am
Addict

Is the L/H grip damaged on the end indicating the possibility of damage to the wires within?

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 8:54 am Thread Starter
Noob

Yes I pulled the grip and the wires are cut.....I twisted them together for a quick test and still nothing.....looks like I'm gonna have to pull the fairings off again and do an ohms/voltage test.

I'll keep ya'll posted on the results.

Thank you,

Choppastyle
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 3:54 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppastyle
Yes I pulled the grip and the wires are cut.....I twisted them together for a quick test and still nothing.....looks like I'm gonna have to pull the fairings off again and do an ohms/voltage test.

I'll keep ya'll posted on the results.

Thank you,

Choppastyle
I have a simple 12V light on the end of a pin tester which just checks for current. The black wire carries the current, with the light at full strength for high, and dimmed when on low. A very basic but effective way to check if there is power to the grip

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode