To back rest or not to back rest - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2012, 8:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

To back rest or not to back rest

Hi all, Iím new to the forum (nob), and I have recently purchased a 2006 K 1200 GT.
WOW! What a bike, power, handling, just thrilling, but my ass hurt so bad after 30 minutes I went up to Ojai and had Bill make me a seat.
Ass fixed, now Iím having a bit of back pain, most likely from not being used to the completely different positioning compared to my special construction 96ci S&S. BTY I go the K12 so I could take a ride longer than 40 minutes without shaking my fillings out.
So here are the Questions: Would a back rest/support be helpful, or just get in the way.
Part 2: Does anyone have a lead on a used one?

TommyG
2006 K 1200 GT
2002 special construction Ultima frame and S&S 96" evo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2012, 4:36 am
Addict

The only backrest I have is for a rear pillion and that is fixed to my top case.

You have just bought the bike and the forward lean riding position is something of a Baptism of Fire which can be learned over several weeks. Perhaps it is a little early, but I would ride the bike as is for some weeks and see how your body adjusts. It is probably not a rider backrest you need but longer arms or the bars brought back some.

I rode my bike a couple of months and still made a decision to add bar risers. Even so, I think these bikes are designed for Germans with long arms, whereas the Jap bikes are the other way around. If you are doing real high speed Sport rides, then you will be nicely 'tucked in' with the oem setup. I do a lot of city/town riding and decided to add barbacks which give me a more upright ride position for the many stops I have to make, but I can still hunker low if I want to. I lowered the rider pegs an inch and that also made a difference. But everybody has different needs from the ergos.

If you start changing the bars and peg positions, be prepared to think about the screen height too. Change one thing and others come into the frame and even then you will not make a Hardley out if it, but you will be a damn sight quicker.

I came to a simple conclusion as I was passing most of the cruisers that you can improve the rider comfort and take longer to get places at 60 mph, or get the body used to the K bike and get to places in a shorter time on long rides, even when factoring in the gas stops and off bike stretching excercises. I find a huge difference maintaining a sustained high speed on a longer trip compared to riding lower speeds and taking longer. When the rain comes on I am glad it will not take me long to get to my next stop.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2012, 6:50 pm

Back Rest

Welcome Tommy G;
There is no doubt in any one's mind about the comfort factor of our seats; there is none! However, it is not caused by a lack of back support, generally. The material is just plain HARD. I have taken two coast-to-coast trips ( on an 07 and 08) covering almost 18K miles and not suffered from aback pain.
Part of my solution to better comfort is to move around a lot. Also, I have the bars set in the middle adjustment setting that is a compromise for my riding style. That is, full forward for canyon carving and full back for leisurely touring. I do neither full time, but about 70/30 and this setting helps the back significantly. It is an acquired and developed process.
One of the reasons I have not redesigned my seat is that I do move a lot in the saddle. Most of the saddles I have seen have fat sections to help with the comfort factor, but restrict movement. There are always compromises on these compromise bikes. If we could only morph each into the ideal scoot at the right time, life would be grand.
Good luck on the adjustment. Just as a passing, try a rolled up bedroll to see if this hlps, then look for Bak-Up.
Ride well and safe.
EJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2012, 10:44 pm
Noob

Mayer makes a great seat but Corbin wins hands down in my opinion. Sell the Mayer, get yourself a corbin and you can plant a backrest in the corbin. I'm not even sure there is a driver's backrest option with any seats other than the RDL or Corbin.

Thank you,

Choppastyle
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 4:20 am
Addict

I took my stock RS seat to a seat upholsterer and had MediGel pads fitted for rider and pillion. They replaced the cover with a pretty close match to the oem.

This takes out the hardness and suspension jarring without raising the seat height and is a cheaper option if it works for you than a complete remade seat. Seat height is the biggest issue here and you are unlikely to want to go higher. The only issue I have now is the oem foam profile pushes your butt forwards towards the gas tank, which is fine for the standard low bars setup across the tank riding. But if you start moving the bars back, I think you either want no slope on the seat or slightly negative towards the rear. On seat comfort we seem to have gone backwards from the old days of the BSA's with the individual sprung seats, cycle style.

One day I may get a scrap RS seat and experiment with small inflatable inserts each about 2 inches diameter embedded in the seat foam and an alternative stretchable cover. Even a microprocessor to set up custom profile shapes and remember them. Or I could just tie on a lump of sprung bed mattress with bungies!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 8:30 am
Addict

bar risers may help aswell ,they did for me quite a bit

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2012, 11:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I'm in heaven

Hi All, and thank you for your input.
I just got back from my first 500 mi. ride with the new seat. Iím in heaven.
I found a used driverís back support and Iím installing it tomorrow. I will be taking another ride next week and will post the results.
BTW, I live in Los Angeles and would love to find some likeminded BMW nutís to do some riding with.
If you have any suggestions as to linking up with others for local rides please let me know.
Cheers.

TommyG
2006 K 1200 GT
2002 special construction Ultima frame and S&S 96" evo.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2012, 11:32 am

I am 6'3", 230 lbs and use the bar risers and lowered pegs. I would also recommend a good kidney protector belt. It really helps my posture and back on long days whether on slab or dirt. I have several and wear them for other activities like skiing. Looking forward to hear how your adaptations work for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode