Annual Service...How Mandatory and What Are Folks Paying? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
View Poll Results: Do you adhere to the Owner's Manual recommended service intervals?
I get my bike in for service EXACTLY as defined in the manual 44 32.84%
I attempt to make it in for scheduled service but sometimes I go over on mileage or skip services 25 18.66%
I do my own work and follow the manual's guidelines 40 29.85%
I do my own work and use common sense and/or previously gained knowledge 22 16.42%
Manual? Service Intervals? 3 2.24%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2006, 4:05 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Annual Service...How Mandatory and What Are Folks Paying?

My '02 K12RS with 19K miles is about due for her annual service. I just had the 'major' 18K service done this last summer. This particular service is the 2nd year, annual as defined in the owner's manual:

-Brake Fluid Change (Wheel and Control Circuit)
-Clutch Fluid Change
-Coolant Change

I am the original owner and have religiously stuck to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. For the first time now I am considering skipping this annual service. I don't get to put LOTS of miles on the bike each year due to a rigorous work schedule (maybe 4-5K) and wonder just how big a deal it is to stick to the letter of the manufacturer's (expensive) schedule?

My local (Idaho) dealer wants $165 for this job. Besides your thoughts on the importance of getting this work done annually/bi-annually I'm also curious as to what others across the country are paying.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2006, 8:50 pm

Annual Service

Sounds like a bargain. I paid $300 in VA for a 12K (w/o brake service & coolant change).
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2006, 9:03 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

The 12K is a completely different service and includes considerably more than the just the annual brake, clutch and coolant changing I have outlined. The two are apples and oranges. Check in your owners manual.

BTW...I think you got the bargain. My 12K was $500+ almost two years ago.

Last edited by oneydee; Jan 22nd, 2006 at 12:14 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 1:09 am
Enthusiast

12K service in Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneydee
The 12K is a completely different service and includes considerably more than the just the annual brake, clutch and coolant changing I have outlined. The two are apples and oranges. Check in your owners manual.

BTW...I think you got the bargain. My 12K was $500+ almost two years ago.
OK, found the receipt for 12k service (odometer at 11,342miles) paid $461.44
Here's the rest of the story....
Maybe my dealer cut me a little slack because I throw money for my mistakes. I dropped my bike at a gas station and scratched the right side panel and bought a new one. I still have the old one. I tried touch up paint but it's not close enough a match so I bit the bullet and bought new side panel and nose (no other damage). Leg of 300+mi. trip to northern WI and Upper MI.
Yet again....
Dropped it in the heated garage (I was going to move it in the morning but thought I'd save myself the time of having to move the bike to get my beemer out for work). Stupid tired mistake, slick soled shoes on concrete floor covered in talc like dust from all the vehicles in the garage). Needless to say I got myself in an awkward position walking it backwarks to put it behind my beemer and damn if I didn't F*ck the pooch manuevering a sharp right hand turn in reverse and the thing was leaning just a bit too far to the right and being that I was on the left could not prevent gravity from sucking that 650+lb baby-blue bad boy down. DAMN! snapped the brake lever in half, bent the right peg and scratched another panel. Bought replacements.
So now I have 2 scratched panels and a nose. F*ck it! Dumped more money into it for some piaa's, dual fiaam horns, autoswitch, upper hand guards, LED Brake! Light, Nav II Plus, auxillary power socket, power socket in brace behind spedo and steel braided brake & clutch lines. I'll be adding smoked sport screen and thinking about getting rims chromed, possibly going to get RB Racing upgraded injectors, exhaust and maybe RAM air snorkel (don't like the asymetrical look, would prefer centered under kydney openings as oblong oval between the piaa's). Hell, it's only money

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:20 am
Rookie

maintance

OK This is what I do every year in jan. I change brake and clutch fluid, every two years I change the trany & rear drive oil I chang my oil at 3000 miles, the air and fuel filters and check my valve clearance on the third year I find that the brake pads go about 35k and not much more, and I drain and service the coolant when I'm in that system. The wear strip at 40k Ive got 67k on my 98 and had no prodlems with program lots of luck Cody
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 2:13 pm

Thumbs up Maintenance

Hi guys:

I've had my K1200RS for only a year or so, so it has had only one "annual" service. I took it in to Mick Vallantine in Seattle (http://www.vmwmotorcycles.com/). This guy does service mainly on BMWs. He even services the cop bikes. Very reasonable fees.

Anyway, I let him do an "annual" on the K-bike last fall. Since the bike is a '98 with about 40,000 miles on it, and it had a couple months left on an extended warranty, I asked him to check over just about everything.

I should state here that up till then I had always had all dealer service done at Ride West BMW in Seattle, but, because their service dood told me that they would not just poke around for things that "might" go wrong, they would fix stuff that I told them to, I figured that I needed to take this bike elsewhere.

We discussed it and agreed that he probably didn't need to check the valves, as that had been done the previous year by Ride West BMW. OK. He changed out the brake and clutch fluids, and changed the tranny and final drive lubes during the course of checking things out. I was outta there for about a hunnert fifty bux.

I've had a wonderful R1150GS since August 2000. Last summer, while on the Nez Perce Rally, I finally decided on the perfect name for that bike. It was just after making it over the pass at Elk Summit, that I decided she deserved the name, "Good Motorcycle." Since new on this bike I have changed engine oil every 3,000 mi, adjusted valves every 6,000, and changed air filter, spark plugs, tranny and final drive lubes every 12,000. I have changed the alternator belt once, at around 42,000 miles. Yeah, those are supposed to be changed at 36K, I know. Now I know. I have always taken the GS into Ride West for "annual" service, which I have always thought of as a sort of Quality Assurance measure. This "annual" consisted mainly of changing clutch and brake fluids, synching the throttle bodies, and checking for faults on the "Moby Dick." In '05 I got new throttle cables. Prices keep going up. It's getting over two hunnert bux for the basic job.

Last week I took the GS over to see Mick for the annual service. I asked him how much money I needed to bring when I came to pick up the bike after the brake/clutch/throttle sync/Moby "annual" and he said a hunnert bux would do it. I asked him if he needed to pull the gas tank for anything, and he said no, not unless I wanted him to change out the alternator belt and the fuel filter. Hmm. The bike needs a new fuel filter, and a new belt would not hurt a bit, considering where I'll be with that bike next summer... "How much?", I ask. He told me an extra hunnert fifty. I was out of there for $240. COOL!

I am looking forward to the next regular oil change on either the K or the GS, as I now have a new Handy Lift in my garage!! I actually enjoy doing the standard, easy stuff, but I take the machine in to Mick for what I view as more complicated stuff.

Seeya
ATB
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 2:16 pm
Veteran

service

Just paid $718 and I did the oil/filter and plugs. Contacted the fatherland, they had BMW in OZ contact me. Still paid the dough though. I have a detailed list of their service, most of it is sheer bullshit. Will fax you a copy if you like.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 6:01 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Papilio...scan it and post here. I'd be interested to learn just what you paid so much dough for. Freakin' highway robbery!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 6:33 am

Just got my annual done..

I just got my annual done a month or two ago. I remember paying over 300. That was combined 12k and annual without any fluid changes or the plugs. I do all that myself.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 9:14 am

12K and Annual Service Costs

Just had the 12K and annual service done on my '03 GT - came to about $750 (this included the brake and clutch system flushes).

The 12K service alone (parts & labor) was $555.

The brake and clutch flush was $196.

At the same time, the pivot bearings had to be replaced in the final drive, along with reshimming the final drive - to the tune of $400 (not covered by the warranty). After a few months (and a letter to BMW customer service), BMW coughed up the $400 to cover the final drive work.

Isn't amazing how there's about a 2X variation in service costs, depending on the dealer? Seems BMW has a little work to do to standardize services costs....

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode