Lock cylinder removal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2012, 5:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Lock cylinder removal

I bought a lightly-used tail bag with locking base plate for my '03 RS. It only has one key, which of course doesn't match my bike. I'm curious as to whether I'd be better off getting a spare key, or re-keying to match my bike.
I looked at the lock mechanism, and I'm not sure how to remove the cylinder. It appears that two pins hold the outer casing of the lock cylinder, and they are a press fit. What's the trick for getting the lock cylinder out (if that's the recommended course of action)?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Veteran

If it is like the side bags and most locks, should be a very small hole around the lock? latch? area that you insert a pin in to release it.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2012, 9:08 pm Thread Starter
Noob

OK, I found a small hole in the side of the lock casing. I put a paper clip in, but felt no type of release. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2012, 9:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Success!

You were correct. I got the cylinder out with a little fiddling. Thanks!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2012, 7:04 am
Veteran

Good...sorry I keep getting cut off on this Internet, could not edit my post after checking the manual. Nothing in there for the rack but for the bags it is "put key in the On position" then push in the hole to release. But you already got it.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
Good...sorry I keep getting cut off on this Internet, could not edit my post after checking the manual. Nothing in there for the rack but for the bags it is "put key in the On position" then push in the hole to release. But you already got it.

Any pics available? I was told by my local stealer that my side case could not be re-keyed...

I would really like to see this info.....thanks.......

Edit: Side case instructions simply states ..... Push the tumbler with a small screw driver

it's not working for me.....

Last edited by InFidel; Jul 29th, 2012 at 1:30 pm.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Found a description....no pics....it was so easy I'm flabergasted.....

Quote:
Nov 11th, 2007, 8:04 am 54089093 54089093 is offline Enthusiast Join Date: Aug 2004 Location: , , Posts: 274 System Case Locks There's no need to disassemble the case to remove the lock cylinder. Remove the bag from the bike and put it on a bench or table so you can see what you're doing. Stand or sit on the "bike" side of the case. Below the handles you'll see a slot in the plastic and a round hole toward the front of the slot. Turn the lock cylinder to align the key with this hole. Then, with a dental pick or heavy paper clip, probe this hole until you can "feel" the bottom tumbler on the cylinder. When you feel it, push against it with the pick while pulling gently on the key-the cylinder will pull out. Removng one tumbler-I think the second- will allow you to remove the key from the bag wihout locking it. The easy way to fidd out which it is is to remove the first tumbler temporarily and set it aside, then by process of elimination remove the other tumblers alternately until you find the correct one. Then put the first tumbler back in the cylinder and reinstall the cylinder and enjoy your new found freedom!
This trick waas developed by The CHP for their R1100/1150RT Police bikes.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2012, 9:00 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFidel
Found a description....no pics....it was so easy I'm flabergasted.....

This trick waas developed by The CHP for their R1100/1150RT Police bikes.
I have the full procedure to do that,with pics I think. Being able to remove the key without locking the bag, may save my locking tabs from further damages and constant fiddling with the keys. Involves filing the tabs that stick out in one position, but looks like on my bike, I'd have to file or modify way more of them than the OP of the procedure I have.He only had to do one side, I'd have to do tabs on both sides.

I know a good locksmith, may be time to call in some favors from way back....!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode