HID and Modulation - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2012, 8:48 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

HID and Modulation

I know modulation ( turning on then off quickly ) won't work for a HID . I want to put a HID in the low beam so what bulb size is it I'm looking for a H7 ? As well as a low beam HID ,, I want to modulate my add on 35watt units and or the high beam , so help ,,, Do I need that H7 BULB HID SET . then add a modulator , and can any-one point me to a good reasonably priced modulator ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2012, 9:28 pm
Addict

Forget the modulator, period. Honest.

It won't work with the HID - no way, no how. Once you see the HID lit up, you'll get that it's consistently more obvious than the H7 halogen bulb that was in there.

Past that, headlight modulators are one of the most f***ed up ideas ever. And to have high beams up full time... not legal in some places, annoying in the rest.

What part of "Don't Do It" is hard to follow?

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 4:56 am
Addict

......Just as he said!

When you put in a 35 watt low beam HID, it will wash out your 35 watt auxiliary tungstens as far as light on the road goes. If you go higher in HID color up to 6K, then the HID will not match the existing tungsten colors anyway.

Modulating seems to be something you do on motorcycles to make up for the poor visibility of tungsten lights. HID is definitely a lot more noticeable than any flashing tungsten.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:01 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

HID and modulator

I was miss read .Please read my first post again .I don't want to modulate a HID . I'm curios about modulating my add on tungsten 35watt axillary lights and or the remaining stock hi beam . What I am asking about is it a H7 BULB HID unit to buy to put in the low beam ? ,,, like I said I know a HID can not be modulated . I might modulate another set of 50watt LED lights as another add . I might modulate the add on 50 wat units and the 35 watt tungsten axillary lights ( they are similar to PIIA lights) So that is a H7 bulb HID kit I need for the low beam( 35watt) HID ?

Last edited by joesflashdog; Aug 2nd, 2012 at 10:02 am. Reason: add to
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:08 am
Addict

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...ghlight=tuning

50 watts in a led lamp is a lot of watts, so those units must be quite expensive? I would not stick a third party modulator on an expensive high power led lamp unless the lamp manufacturer said it was ok. High power led lamps are not just a lot of led chips in a lamp housing. They have quite sophistocated current and voltage stabilization circuitry to maintain their peak light output. Plenty inside to go 'pop'.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Aug 2nd, 2012 at 10:13 am.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:02 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

cheap led light

Oh theses 12 volt DC LED's I have bought one today $15 and and might go ahead and buy another , they are under-water lights in a black houseing ( claimed 50 watt ) that look similar to a add on motorcycle (axillary) lights .I might need to change the bracket position if I do use them on the bike . I have a spa 7ft x 9ft 4ft deep that the present 12volt flood light has had a internal intermiten short in since it was new that I could use them in .If put on the bike would be mostly be for people to see me in the day-time ,but I will have to see them work befor installing on the BMW.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 12:26 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Where did you buy the lights?
Might be a reaonable priced option, to "Motorcycle specific lights"

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 1:17 pm
Addict

I would not be surprised if they only work under water because that is how they cool them. Beam width and accuracy is not a problem in a spa, but it is when you are an oncoming motorist.

A 50 watt led lamp designed to work continuously in free air up to ambient temperatures of 40 degrees C and at a voltage of 14.5 volts may be a different kind of product and have the word 'automotive' on the box.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 1:53 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

led

Thanks for the input Vox but they are for landscaping , wall washing , flush ground mount witch could get hotter than a bike , or, under a waterfall ,or under water . I have a waterfall in the spa about a 12 ft drop about 40 gallons a minute or so variable flow , when I first turned it on it shot out over the spa that sticks up out of the floor 18 inches , so a additional level ledge was made + the control valve.So if it doesn't work out either way on the bike or in the spa , I can send it back and get my $ back - shipping . It's called a brighty white light . I have filters for red + blue under water and that make a spectaculare reflection on the rock-wall waterfall. and for day-time ( mostly use )

Last edited by joesflashdog; Aug 2nd, 2012 at 1:58 pm.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 7:39 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesflashdog
I was miss read .Please read my first post again .I don't want to modulate a HID . I'm curios about modulating my add on tungsten 35watt axillary lights and or the remaining stock hi beam . [...]
I got that. Do Not Modulate Anything, Period. End Of Story.

Seriously, it's a waste of time and money: it beats the heck out of anything with a filament (the repeated change in temperature flexes the filament excessively), and creates confusion (is he dipping the lights to tell me something or what?).

Not only that, but if you watch most bikes coming down the road towards you, there's enough unevenness in the road to create some flickering or change in intensity without adding more pieces waiting to fail some day. And, when you stop, there's no blink-blink-blink which may mean nothing or may mean I want to tell you that... you go first or your muffler's falling off or you're being chased by zombies.

Honest. Modulators are a sign of mental deficiency on the part of the rider.

Any questions?

- - - -

I assume the concern is being seen. That's why there's lots of "hurt my eyes" hi-viz gear. It covers 360į, it works 24/7, and doesn't need batteries or fragile electronics. Past that, all you can do is assume every driver around you is blind, on crack, and hates you; ride accordingly,

ADDED: And, yes, my avatar was shot before hi-viz gear was even on the market.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode