new prospect for bmw k1200gt - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2012, 3:50 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

new prospect for bmw k1200gt

Big place this so forgive if I am posting in wrong area
There is some urgency
I am really ancienne, but strong and fit have not been on a bike since 82 was a Bol D,Or , heap of the proverbial
Yesterday I hopped on sons Aprilia and discovered that I just had to wring its neck
Anyways, I am really keen on a K1200GT, it has 20k miles one owner ex condition
So being a wise old Owl I decised to research
I came across so much flak written abt this bike, the niggles re clutches, cam drives, switches , that really I am starting to wonder
I know the seller is honest, I FEEL it and he will answer any questiosn truthfully
Really I am asking, what is the concsensus generally abt this bike?
Moving on I see that things hardly improved with the 13
Any pointers in the direction of surveys may help, I read all the reviews when the bike was tested new alonside the Concours, Yamaha and Honda, but then they WERE all new
thanks mean and woman
Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2012, 3:55 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

neglected to say bike is in Ca, would not own bike here, 100km/h max, people ride like a sack of spuds in a procession Police are brutal and unforgiving
Mostly will be in USA and then into Germany for 4 months year
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2012, 6:56 pm
Addict

find one that has had the update's and quirks worked out and you'll be fine ,it's a machine ,every machine has quirk's ,also the people that do have quirk's and bad one's tend to be very loud about it ,ritefully so t but there is also alot of people here that have good ride's and put many mile's on these k bike's and would buy another if had to like me i dont think know one can tell you how reliable a used bike is of any mfgr but bmw has been a good choice again for me so far and i'm on my 3rd one ...good luck

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2012, 9:48 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes-ss
find one that has had the update's and quirks worked out and you'll be fine ,it's a machine ,every machine has quirk's ,also the people that do have quirk's and bad one's tend to be very loud about it ,ritefully so t but there is also alot of people here that have good ride's and put many mile's on these k bike's and would buy another if had to like me i dont think know one can tell you how reliable a used bike is of any mfgr but bmw has been a good choice again for me so far and i'm on my 3rd one ...good luck
thanks, bit like sorting out which stocks to buy, listen learn, but choice is ones own and nobody else to blame if one makes the wrong choice

Best Rgds
Stuart
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2012, 10:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarth44
thanks, bit like sorting out which stocks to buy, listen learn, but choice is ones own and nobody else to blame if one makes the wrong choice
I like the analogy.....diversification, my pals......each bike to it's own purpose.....

When I skied > 80 days per season, I had 20 pairs of skis and often took 2-3 pair to the slopes on any given day. I was not afraid to switch to another pair after the early runs. Being the cheapskate that I admit to being.......I never bought one pair new but picked them up a season old from others that chased the latest and greatest.

Old habits are ingrained and I run the K12, R1150GS, 990 Adv and 690 Rallye these days, but each to it's specific purpose. Life has been berry, berry good to me.......

And so I say: Get the bike and ignore the flack....what works for you is all that counts...ride safe and enjoy.....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2012, 7:40 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFidel
I like the analogy.....diversification, my pals......each bike to it's own purpose.....

When I skied > 80 days per season, I had 20 pairs of skis and often took 2-3 pair to the slopes on any given day. I was not afraid to switch to another pair after the early runs. Being the cheapskate that I admit to being.......I never bought one pair new but picked them up a season old from others that chased the latest and greatest.

Old habits are ingrained and I run the K12, R1150GS, 990 Adv and 690 Rallye these days, but each to it's specific purpose. Life has been berry, berry good to me.......

And so I say: Get the bike and ignore the flack....what works for you is all that counts...ride safe and enjoy.....
But I don.t ski

Best Rgds
Stuart
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2012, 1:57 am Thread Starter
Rookie

ah well tomorrow I will make the plunge, 2007, first reg early 08, 20k mile clicks, immac, with all the gear 9500

Best Rgds
Stuart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode