Seeking opinions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2012, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

Seeking opinions

This may be a matter of personal preference, so I thought I ask others' opinions. My '03 GT has about 92 K on it. I have kept up maintenance and recently installed Wilbers struts and a hyperpro steering damper. Could be my imagination, but the steering still is 'looser' than I prefer. It is not slop or free play--the front wheel just turns easier than I like, as in a lack of friction. Anybody else feel this way? Is there an easy adjustment to add friction to give it more of a 'new' feel? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2012, 5:47 am
Addict

Could be tires? Have you changed your front tire lately as some tires will give a quicker turn in than others. The steering damper should not hinder slight or slow turning in any way as you risk going tires up on a slow tight maneuver like a u turn in a car park. That is why, if you wrench your steering from one side to the other from centre (while on the centre stand) you will notice an amount of free play before the damper takes up. With a quality unit the increase in resistance is progressively greater as you force the bars around, while with the oem unit the resistance is constant, once it takes up the dead space. If this did not occur, subtle changes in direction would be difficult while on the move. If the oil is too heavy in the damper, It will slow down the steering so much it becomes dangerous. I have rebuilt the oem damper with new seals as it was leaking, and it is a very simple wobble stopper. Nothing fancy at all, and no match for a quality progressive damper. That said, this is not a true sports bike with fickle front end stability - quite the opposite, so the oem unit suffices as its main purpose is to minimize damage during a major event such as a flat front tire induced tank slapper.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2012, 1:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
Could be tires? Have you changed your front tire lately as some tires will give a quicker turn in than others. The steering damper should not hinder slight or slow turning in any way as you risk going tires up on a slow tight maneuver like a u turn in a car park. That is why, if you wrench your steering from one side to the other from centre (while on the centre stand) you will notice an amount of free play before the damper takes up. With a quality unit the increase in resistance is progressively greater as you force the bars around, while with the oem unit the resistance is constant, once it takes up the dead space. If this did not occur, subtle changes in direction would be difficult while on the move. If the oil is too heavy in the damper, It will slow down the steering so much it becomes dangerous. I have rebuilt the oem damper with new seals as it was leaking, and it is a very simple wobble stopper. Nothing fancy at all, and no match for a quality progressive damper. That said, this is not a true sports bike with fickle front end stability - quite the opposite, so the oem unit suffices as its main purpose is to minimize damage during a major event such as a flat front tire induced tank slapper.
Thanks for the ideas, but no change in this issue with old vs new tires. The other funny thing is that I installed the constant resistance vs progressive damper. Maybe I'm just being fussy. I don't think it's a safety problem, I just prefer a different "feel."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2012, 2:23 pm
Veteran

Did you do the sag checks with them new shocks? Front end may be a little high and the rear low compared to them OEMs. That would certainly change the feeling in the steering.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2012, 2:48 pm
Addict

When I rebuilt my damper it felt strange and although I'd used 5W oil it felt too stiff during tight low speed turns however within a week or two I'd forgotten all about it. Give it some time and revisit if you're still not happy. Mr Begin has raised a good point about sag levels. If the shocks and damper were installed at the same time, this may be the cause and effect. Sag tests are very important to get the most out of your new investments. Many riders set and forget these measurements, but a shock deteriorates and needs to be checked for sag from time to time. I check my Ohlins each winter with the annual service

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode