Cruise Control Failure - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2012, 8:04 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Cruise Control Failure

I was in the middle of my 2nd Iron Butt and was using the cruise control quite a bit. After a while the cruise control would shut off and althought I turned the switch off and on several times the Cruise Control would not work. After each fill up, I would start the bike up and the Cruise control would work for a little while. I could use it briefly 2-3 minutes to give my hand a rest, but I wouldn't rely on it and wanted to use it sparlingly (sp?) between fuel stops.

Has anyone experience problems similiar to this?

Thanks,

2003 K1200GT 12,000 miles on it.

Honda S90 - 16
Kawasaki 175
BSA GoldStar
Honda 550
Kawasaki Vulcan
Harley Wide Glide
Harley Electric Glide Classic
Harley Night Train-Current
BMW K1200GT-Current
my wife said STOP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2012, 8:18 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-Mike
I was in the middle of my 2nd Iron Butt and was using the cruise control quite a bit. After a while the cruise control would shut off and althought I turned the switch off and on several times the Cruise Control would not work. After each fill up, I would start the bike up and the Cruise control would work for a little while. I could use it briefly 2-3 minutes to give my hand a rest, but I wouldn't rely on it and wanted to use it sparlingly (sp?) between fuel stops.

Has anyone experience problems similiar to this?

Thanks,

2003 K1200GT 12,000 miles on it.
The cruise-control has many micro-switches controlling its behavior - you are not the only one having problem with it.

There is hope. Last year I made a PDF file and a VIDEO tutorial to helps others.
See this link on YouTube - preferably viewed on a large screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ov3-...=youtu.be&hd=1

Just below the video, in the remark section, you will see a link to download a PDF file with text and pictures - this is a summary of the diagnostic steps.

Let me know how it goes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2012, 11:58 pm
Rookie

Thankyou John
That was a good video
Do you think that BMW improved the cruise control on the 2006 ,7,8, K12gt?
I have just despatched the funds for mine(07) to San Francisco, I think by the time I hit the Coast 3-4 weeks from now, it,ll be too late to come much further North ? How late do you ride, or can you ride over your way
Stuart

Best Rgds
Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 6:34 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarth44
Thankyou John
That was a good video
I have just despatched the funds for mine(07) to San Francisco, I think by the time I hit the Coast 3-4 weeks from now, it,ll be too late to come much further North ? How late do you ride, or can you ride over your way
Stuart
About the cruise on the newer K1200GT or K1300GT:
I did a short road test and frankly I was more concerned on noting differences in engine, handling, suspension, brakes.... the cruise-control was not something I tested much on the newer models. When I look at the parts catalog, I see roughly the same components.

The main issue with our cruise-control (2001 to 2005 models) has never been reliability of the cuise-unit, this is pretty much bulletproof. All problems are related to the micro-switches implementation AND the fact that they decided to implement a complex mechanism to shut the cruise when the throttle is forced forward. Like a cruise-control on a car, they could have limited the cruise shutdown to the brake(s) and clutch activation.

About you trip on the west coast:
Riding north 950 miles from San-Francisco will land you in Vancouver (Canada). A fantastic ride where you can follow the west coast. Vancouver and surroundings have very good mild weather until mid-october. Going east from Vancouver (toward Calgary, Toronto, Montreal) can be more problematic as you approach mid-September - it depends on the year. There is no snow until a bit later (in general) but it can get pretty cold over the mountains (between Vancouver and Calgary) ans also in the prairies (east of Calgary).

Where I live, near Monteal, we can ride until the end-of-October. Mornings can be chilly (35 to 50 F , 2 to 10 Celcius) and freezing point can be reached during the night beginning aound mid-October.

Please keep us posted on your trip.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)

Last edited by sailor; Aug 22nd, 2012 at 6:39 am.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 11:08 am
Veteran

Quote:
Thankyou John
That was a good video
Stuart
I have ridden across from the east to the west a few times late september, usually fine as long as you stay in the midwest. Even HOT. The Coast can be iffy from the morning fog, lots of times won't burn off til mid-day if it does.Not a lot of fun riding in the "pea soup"......That's a good Canadian term for fog.

Weird weather in Western Canada this year, I am quite a ways North now looking at the clouds building up toward the coast,already turned back and rode away from it a couple days ago, may just do that again today and head south across the border.Couple days and a 1000 miles.......maybe I should get going.

Keep in touch......I may be riding Vancouver to central BC early October back from work,quite a few higher passes between there and and there......shouldn't be a problem depending on the weather, I doubt it will snow by then.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 3:59 pm
Rookie

thanks Men
Seeing as there have been whole decades passing since I rode what gear is best to ride in up there, I know its off topic, but all the help I can get would really be appreciated

Best Rgds
Stuart
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 4:18 am
Addict

Quote:
thanks Men
Seeing as there have been whole decades passing since I rode what gear is best to ride in up there, I know its off topic, but all the help I can get would really be appreciated
Hey Stuarth, greetings from across the ditch. What are you riding and how long have you had it? I bought mine new in Sydney in 02 and shipped it to Kiwi in 04. Done heaps of riding around the Gold and Sunshine hinterlands over the years as I lived in Noosa for a time. Great roads and great climate for riding. We have to put up with winter down here

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:52 am
Veteran

Quote:
thanks Men
Best place to check on equipment and some advice would be on the ADVRider forum, in the equipment thread, LOTS there.....maybe too much sometimes.

Lots of choices on equipments in the US, not all good. Nope you do not have to pay the exorbitant BMW prices to stay warm & dry.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 3:56 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
Hey Stuarth, greetings from across the ditch. What are you riding and how long have you had it? I bought mine new in Sydney in 02 and shipped it to Kiwi in 04. Done heaps of riding around the Gold and Sunshine hinterlands over the years as I lived in Noosa for a time. Great roads and great climate for riding. We have to put up with winter down here
Hi Mate
Well I lived near AK most of my life see my details here, Waimauku near Muriwai but moved here 12 years ago
I have never ridden a bike here,I find he Police to be Brutal and totally unforgiving, if I bought the 07 gt here my licence would last about a day
Often in Eu on Autobahn I sit on 140km/h in a car, but I simply understand that on a bike I have to wrap it on.
I bought this one unseen, I trusted the man and still do, he keeps it stored and insured
I dunno where I will go, IF I could get across Mexico with no bullwet holes I like to go south
I live in Buderim. Roos are a problem, like deer are in USA in early morning and evening When I go south inland I often have to slow the car to a cral with horn on to get thje wallabys off the road. Cheers Stu

Best Rgds
Stuart
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 3:59 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
Best place to check on equipment and some advice would be on the ADVRider forum, in the equipment thread, LOTS there.....maybe too much sometimes.

Lots of choices on equipments in the US, not all good. Nope you do not have to pay the exorbitant BMW prices to stay warm & dry.
THANKS
I am not a Badge guy
I,ll have a look,

Best Rgds
Stuart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode