What a great bike - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 6:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

What a great bike

I have put 600 miles on my 2004 K1200GT since I bought it a week and a half ago. No buyers remorse here. It is supremely stable at speed. Confidence inspiring. Back roads, highway travel is a breeze. You get out and pass people on the highway, look down and bam your doing 100, doesn't feel much different than 60. You can really eat some miles on this bike.

I find it easy to drive around town also, you have to muscle it a bit in parking spots. One thing that I have noticed in "city" traffic is that the loud pipe of the Harley does make people aware of you. I have had two instances of being merged into and that has never happened to me before. It is something that I will note and adjust my riding style.

My 260 lb uncle visited this weekend, he was a triumph guy back in the day and he wanted to go for a ride so I handed him the key. He said no, "you drive". So I placed him on the back and took him on some country roads. Other than the obvious girth of the passenger, you would have never known.

My smile is wide and all I want to do is ride the thing. What a great bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 11:35 pm
Rookie

well you sound happy.I cant help but notice they are not selling well on Ebay of late
Hope you got a (deal) how many clicks has it got on the clock?

Best Rgds
Stuart
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 4:14 am
Addict

Welcome to the site and welcome to a great bike. Many of us here have been riding bricks for 10 or 15 years, and I still get an enormous grin after 10 years and 110,000km Lost of reading and maintenance advice here, and I am also interested how many miles on the clock?

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 8:38 am Thread Starter
Noob

Ticks on the clock

Thanks for the welcome. It had 6210 miles when I bought it for $6800. The guy had to move for work and obviously never rode it. In fact, he had let it sit so long that the gas had gummed up, ruined the fuel pump etc. He had just spent around $600 at the local dealer to get her back on the road. Receipt was included.

I think the economy as well as the buy new and just pay a monthly payment mentality makes used vehicles hard to sell. I am selling my Sportster at present and getting no bites. It is beautiful, well maintained and has all of the suspension and performance upgrades you would want. Haven't got a bite and 75% of the bikes around here are Harley.

Oh well, maybe I end up with two bikes for awhile... Don't tell the wife.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 4:06 pm
Rookie

sounds good, up in NY upper state dealers were asking, and getting over 10k for 05 12rt with 40k miles
I paid 9500 USA for mine with 20k miles but lots of extras 07 model first reg 08, I do not consider it a bargain , neither do I consider I paid too much I can always ship igt to Kiwiland where bikes afre expensive
So I reckon you got a deal and hope you feel happy after 50k miles

Best Rgds
Stuart
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 6:20 pm
Addict

Welcome to the site and enjoy your new bike.

Quote:
I have had two instances of being merged into and that has never happened to me before
Get yourself a Stebel Nautilus horn fitted and consider the HID low beam headlight upgrade to make yourself more visible. Also check if you have the plastic quick disconnects fitted in your fuel lines. If 'yes' replace them as soon as possible with metal alternatives. There is plenty of info here on the site to help you ride safe.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2012, 1:30 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Welcome to the site and enjoy your new bike.

Get yourself a Stebel Nautilus horn fitted and consider the HID low beam headlight upgrade to make yourself more visible. Also check if you have the plastic quick disconnects fitted in your fuel lines. If 'yes' replace them as soon as possible with metal alternatives. There is plenty of info here on the site to help you ride safe.
great advice, nothing , but nothing beats a good warning device

Best Rgds
Stuart
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2012, 8:59 am
Rookie

you sound like me, i bought my 2000 RS 4yrs ago and put 500mi on it in the 1st 2-3 days.

my 1st mod was the QDs, then I did the olin suspension(big improvement), then did HID low beems via pirates lair I_BMW.com

Bike had 17K and now 47K. It's just needed normal maintenece including 2 12K service.

Still makes me smile every time I ride it.

Great Bike!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2012, 9:13 pm
Rip
Noob

you did good

great bike great deal. you will be happy for a long time. bought my 04 gt in jan.2012 and couldn't be happier. as you might have read, chaange the qiuck disconnects, bemmerboneyard a good place to buy and make sure the brake fluid gets changed reguarly so no unnesecarry wear on the ABS components. Just my thoughts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2012, 9:14 pm
Rip
Noob

you did good

great bike great deal. you will be happy for a long time. bought my 04 gt in jan.2012 and couldn't be happier. as you might have read, change the quick disconnects, bemmerboneyard a good place to buy and make sure the brake fluid gets changed quick so no unnesecarry wear on the ABS components. Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode