Turn Signal pods pop off as advertised! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 8:37 am Thread Starter
Noob

Turn Signal pods pop off as advertised!

Parked bike in shopping centre parking lot on side stand. Only running in to do a couple of things. 20mins later came out, bike lying on its right side with turn signal pod lying beside it. I guess some A-Hole wanted to sit on the bike and lost it due to its weight. Didn't even bother to try and put it back up. Scratches on the lower part of the fairing.

So that answers my question of whether the pods will actually come off in a fall. The little tab broke off - is that a critical piece to keep the pod on? So far after popping it back on to its 'pins' it hasn't come off again.

Note to self - keep the bags on. They did a good job protecting the rest of the bike from hitting the pavement.

The Speed Limit of Life is not on a sign post, it's in your Heart!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2000 K1200RS (Arctic Silver/Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 9:02 pm
Addict

that sucks ,hope it works out

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 5:09 am
Addict

I found a kid sitting on my saddle once when the bike was parked on the sidestand. The father was bouncing it up and down like my bike was some kind of baby therapy toy!

Since then I fitted my bike alarm which has a trembler sensor and scares the hell out of any kid touching the bike.

I do not have a problem with the pods now and they are on and off quite a lot when I need to remove the plastics.

It is still nice to think that if you hit a truck mirror whilst lane splitting they will come off first. The oem fixing arrangement is one of BMW's worst designs.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...highlight=pods

Check out your sidestand for slop in the bushes and the lean angle. Never park the bike on the sidestand on an uphill slope unless you engage 1st gear.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Sep 2nd, 2012 at 5:15 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 10:09 am
Veteran

I never looked at the "pods" on the early K1200RSs, but I remember all too well the ones on the K100RSs. We used to put a safety line on them so they wouldn't hit the ground in case someone bumped them in a parking lot.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 6:45 am
Rookie

My bike tipped over on the lawn, popped the lft pod and broke a couple of the tabs. It's held on with velcro and the remaining tabs. That was 3yrs ago holds fine.....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:58 pm
Enthusiast

Magnet signal pod Fix

I had seen this fix on this site and put the neodymium magnets on studs ( flat 1/4 20 screws) put on the pods in place of the stock " spring baskets" and JB weld the magnets in place on the pods and the place on the bike they fit to .I have had no problems with my "pods" since . There are a good assortment of sizes on ebay . They pods want to jump on my 2000 k1200rs now !
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 7:37 pm
Noob

Pods

I think Pirates Lair has safety wires for the pods.
I'm new to the RS but I'm nervous about the side stand and the near vertical angle when using it. I mostly use the center stand.
I gotta say though, I love this bike.

01 K1200RS
72 R75/5
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2012, 7:52 am
Noob

Having had my 2001 KRS about 1 1/2 weeks I have only used my side stand to dismount before I put her on the center stand. It just doesn't feel that stable to me on the side stand. But I'm coming off a KLR so am loving having a center stand.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2012, 8:51 am
Addict

There have been some posts about the lean angle and riders seem to come up with different answers for their bikes. You have to look down at the curb angles as the road surface falls away or does not fall away.

I sawed off the oem foot and made a larger foot welded to some tube that just slid over the oem side stand tube. I then leaned the bike to what I wanted on the sidestand, marked and drilled a hole and put in a cotter pin. I have never changed the position although I found the lean increasing a bit which was due to wear in the sidestand bushes. There is a lot of slop in the bush and pin even new, so I shimmed out my stand pivot pin and added a grease nipple.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sidestand2 small.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	13965  

Last edited by voxmagna; Nov 5th, 2012 at 4:24 am. Reason: add photo
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 4:25 pm

Re: sidestand

I cut 5/8" out of my stand, pressed in a smaller steel sleeve and re-welded. No more tips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode