Slight vibration in the bike whlie leaning right - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2012, 6:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

Slight vibration in the bike whlie leaning right

I have a 2003 with 35k on it. I'm getting a slight vibration, more like a hum, in the bike while leaning just a little to the right. I can feel it mostly through the handle bars. I changed tires and front wheel bearings without a solution. My next thing is the rear end bearings. Anyone have a this and a fix?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2012, 9:05 am
Veteran

Maybe not a fix, but the swingarm bearing, the one on the right. There are 2 very small holes in the carrier/nut, you should be able to see them. Them holes,if you have the manual are to insert a "pin tool" and push the bearing out of the carrier.

You can just remove the big nut without tearing the bike apart, just have to hold the rear end steady and probably disconnect the shock to keep things lined up for reinstallation.

Well what happens is that water gets in there and corrodes the bearing. Just the race in one spot in my case but yours could be worse. Mr. Fliyinkiwi.....???? Hang on....he'll be here.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 4:30 am
Addict

Yes Pierre, I hear you
Don't really think thats the cause of the problem however. A vibration thats more like a hum is a little vague to work on. The R/H swing arm bearing would generally tend to seize once water has entered it and with such high torque settings when reassembling the swing arm, coupled with very little rotational movement, I doubt there is any margin for movement except possibly when at acute lean angles. I had no indication there was any problem with that swing arm bearing until I pulled it apart, and even then it was only my curiosity that sent me looking under the bearing seal after it spun rough on my finger. I would suggest that by far the majority of our bikes have a stuffed R/H swing arm bearing and no one knows about it.
I would be looking at final drive issues like the pivot bearings or crown wheel bearing. Usual test of grabbing the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and giving it a good back and forth wrench. Then repeat at 3 and 6 o'clock. You will need to rotate the wheel and repeat several times to be sure.
My gut feeling however is the final drive area as the condition is only apparent leaning to the right, and our bikes have a single sided swing arm. If the problem occurred leaning both ways other possibilities could be the cause like toasted suspension

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 2:56 pm
Veteran

Plenty to check down/back there if there is a vibration. Just figured one of them on my bike, had to take the bags off to find smoothness again at 4,500-5,000 RPMs.Nothing mechanical so quite a relief.

Back to the swingarm bearing, mine wasn't all packed up with crud & rust and did have some play.Easy enough to see doing the wheel shakes...not the pivot bearings or RD bearing but play at the swingarm/frame. Thinking the previous mechanic had also effed-up like some other stuff, I reinstalled the bearing/cap as is and preloaded properly to remove that play.Then rode without problems for 2 years.

Had to go back in there following Richard's misadventures with that bearing, and found the race spotted from corrosion.

Could that have caused vibrations....not that I was aware the first year, but I was also dealing with a bad driveshaft, may have been hard to tell which was which. Driveshaft however.....will definitely vibrate, just that you may have to go real fast to find out. Around 200 Km/hr.....if it is not real bad yet. Probably lower speeds if it does have much wear.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2012, 5:46 pm
Enthusiast

bearings

My at the frame bearings did not feel bad ,and no rust spots but they had the usual notch that wears because of the limited travel the roller has to move in it's job . The bearing kits run less than $30 (all balls racing) and they say it is a available in stock size at a bearing supply co. Those on the final drive are BMW only and go bad too . Remove the tire and bottom of the shock and the torque bar , and you can feel it's preload (or lack of ) and notches. it's a great way to measure your install preload too .

Last edited by joesflashdog; Sep 7th, 2012 at 5:50 pm. Reason: spelling add

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode