My last 2 months and 2,600 miles on my 2002 K1200rs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2012, 1:35 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

My last 2 months and 2,600 miles on my 2002 K1200rs

Just wanted to report back on my experiences so far as a new K1200rs owner, 2002 K1200rs total miles on speedo 29,600 and climbing!

After 2600 miles I feel very comfortable at the helm of this old girl, she has been running flawlessly since my purchase, with the only repair needed so far was the headlight bulb which I'm glad I did it with an experienced mechanic watching me, so I didn't break anything as the wire bail seems pretty frail. I am blessed with living on the front range of the rocky mountains so my fun rides are on some awesome twisties, and I gotta say, this old girl handles those pretty well, although I think I could be a bit more aggressive with different tires (I have the Metzler tourings on her now)

I am riding daily to work 34 miles round trip mostly on the highway, my gas mileage flunctuates with my throttle use but close to the 40 mpg many of you have posted.

I had my first experience with smoke coming out of the muffler after sitting on the side stand for a few days, It still freaked me out, but luckily I had read a post that discusses this so I knew it wasn't a major problem. I had her sitting for a week when I was deployed for hurricane Issac and this time I put her up on the center stand, and when I came home and went for my first ride, not a puff of smoke!

I had an issue with the oil sight glass yesterday, I hadn't checked it my last couple rides( 100 miles each) so I was checking tires and oil as I will be doing 140 miles a day for a few days, and it looked like I had no oil in the sight glass, once again a slight freakout, so I added a little oil through my funnel and couldn't see the oil come up. I stopped adding and decided to start the engine. I ran the engine for a few minutes, and I could see oil in the sight glass, now up 2/3's instead of half. I don't know if it was the shadow, my flashlight being too bright or what, but that was the first time I had an issue seeing oil in the sight glass.

My wife followed me home a couple weeks ago and was not happy with the tail light/brake lights and wants me to add something more visible. I was looking at the pirates lair and saw a couple options, I road with some friends last week and one guy has a R1 and when he puts the breaks on they flash for a bit then stay on. Sure seems to grab your attention.

The past post where I read to use spray silicone on the windshield..... awesome advice, it really does buff up nice and hide some of those scratches.

wondering how long the battery should last? The previous owner had her for 4 years, never replaced the battery and kept it on a tender, I keep my bike on a tender and so far no issues, but do I wait for failure, or should I think of replacing over the winter? I'm leaning toward a new battery.

No complaints or buyers remorse from this guy, I'm sure when I take the tupperware off in another month or so and start taking care of maintenance and repairs, I may have some other things to say!

Thanks for all the well informed and excellent advice, it has really helped.

mrbill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Billsk1200rs.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	13828  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2012, 7:11 am
Addict

Congrats on your new ride. That mileage is about the start for everything loosening up and running sweet!

Quote:
the only repair needed so far was the headlight bulb which I'm glad I did it with an experienced mechanic watching me
Earth ground wire is a common problem in there. Next time you have the nose off, check or replace it with a higher gauge wire.

Quote:
I had an issue with the oil sight glass yesterday, I hadn't checked it my last couple rides( 100 miles each) so I was checking tires and oil as I will be doing 140 miles a day for a few days, and it looked like I had no oil in the sight glass, once again a slight freakout, so I added a little oil through my funnel and couldn't see the oil come up. I stopped adding and decided to start the engine. I ran the engine for a few minutes, and I could see oil in the sight glass, now up 2/3's instead of half. I don't know if it was the shadow, my flashlight being too bright or what, but that was the first time I had an issue seeing oil in the sight glass.
Common issue. As the bike gets older the plexiglass goes yellow. Also be aware that if the bike has been running it can take half an hour or more for most of the oil to drop down and come up to the level (on level ground on center stand). I have the biggest problem with new oil. It is so clear that it is easy to not spot the meniscus and over fill. I use a turkey baster to pull the excess back out. But now I have learned to put say 2/3rds of the new oil in, run the motor a few seconds so it blackens, leave 1/2 hour then top up.

Quote:
wondering how long the battery should last? The previous owner had her for 4 years, never replaced the battery and kept it on a tender, I keep my bike on a tender and so far no issues, but do I wait for failure, or should I think of replacing over the winter? I'm leaning toward a new battery.
You could get 5 years. But with 24 hour tendering you will not spot the battery declining just on daily commutes. However, leave the battery off the tender a week this Winter and you may find your battery is dead or cranks too slow. Look at the Odyseey replacement. You pay a little more but cranking is fast in cold weather and they hold their charge longer.

Check your fuel line quick disconnects. If you have them and they are black plastic, replace with metal as soon as possible.

Safe riding - Vox

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 4:38 am
Addict

Congrats on the new ride. My bike, identical to yours in age, model and colour has recently turned ten. Second battery now, and it's 5 years old, a gel oem unit, and still holds its charge very well. I left the tender off accidently for a month and when I put the tender back on, it showed a full charge almost immediately. I replaced my first battery at the 5 year mark as the centre cells were leaking through the breathers, however this battery seems fine so will keep it a while longer, but will switch to Odyssey when time, as they are available here now for my bike.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 6:18 am

Enjoy the ride! I also have the identical bike which I bought 2 years ago. We share one major drawback; the riding season is too short where we live! I'm on Canada's east coast, so probably have a similar season to where you are. Very envious of those who can ride all year...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2012, 9:43 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Vox!

I appreciate your feedback and advice! Especially with the oil issue, that really scared me. I like the idea of using the turkey baster to get the level right, I'll try that tonight when I get home, I guess I better buy my personal turkey baster! LOL.

I have new metal disconnects to put on when I start doing maintenance and pulling off the tupperware, gonna keep riding until the weather turns

I just bought the lite-blazer to put on so my wife is happier, but not sure if this bike has the Can-bus set up or not? I'll do some research later today.

And finally for crowinthehouse, we don't mention this to everyone but we have many days in the 40's and 50's all winter, so there are very few days that I can't ride. I already have my winter gear out, and I Love those heated grips!

later,
mrbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Congrats on your new ride. That mileage is about the start for everything loosening up and running sweet!

Earth ground wire is a common problem in there. Next time you have the nose off, check or replace it with a higher gauge wire.

Common issue. As the bike gets older the plexiglass goes yellow. Also be aware that if the bike has been running it can take half an hour or more for most of the oil to drop down and come up to the level (on level ground on center stand). I have the biggest problem with new oil. It is so clear that it is easy to not spot the meniscus and over fill. I use a turkey baster to pull the excess back out. But now I have learned to put say 2/3rds of the new oil in, run the motor a few seconds so it blackens, leave 1/2 hour then top up.

You could get 5 years. But with 24 hour tendering you will not spot the battery declining just on daily commutes. However, leave the battery off the tender a week this Winter and you may find your battery is dead or cranks too slow. Look at the Odyseey replacement. You pay a little more but cranking is fast in cold weather and they hold their charge longer.

Check your fuel line quick disconnects. If you have them and they are black plastic, replace with metal as soon as possible.

Safe riding - Vox
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2012, 12:02 am
Addict

No can-bus on these models I would not wait on the QD's as you are literally playing with fire here. Change them asap as they can let go anytime.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2012, 10:46 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Kiwi, the plastic ones have already been replaced and hard couplers installed. I bought the new stainless expensive ones to put in since I plan on owning this bike a long time!

mrbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
No can-bus on these models I would not wait on the QD's as you are literally playing with fire here. Change them asap as they can let go anytime.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2012, 5:12 pm
Enthusiast

Ft Collins riding

I envy your locale. I've ridden through Ft. Collins and then on up the pass several times - always East to West.

Heck in Chicago I have to ride for hours to get to roads that are 1/20 what you have in your backyard!

Some of use here have done the HID conversion on the low beam with amazing results. Search the forum for specifics - I was happy I'd done this before my 2011 Colorado trip - it gets DARK on those twisties and the extra lumens come in handy. Easy to do and worth the $40 or so it costs.

Ride safe!

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2012, 11:22 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer01
I envy your locale. I've ridden through Ft. Collins and then on up the pass several times - always East to West.

Heck in Chicago I have to ride for hours to get to roads that are 1/20 what you have in your backyard!

Some of use here have done the HID conversion on the low beam with amazing results. Search the forum for specifics - I was happy I'd done this before my 2011 Colorado trip - it gets DARK on those twisties and the extra lumens come in handy. Easy to do and worth the $40 or so it costs.

Ride safe!
Thanks for the info on the HID, I did see some stuff on that and I think your right, that's a good return for the safety value it gives me.

Yes I am very blessed where we live, I can ride a round trip of 50 miles from my garage and get more twisties then a man should be allowed in one ride

mrbill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode