Shock experiences - comments? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 11:15 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Shock experiences - comments?

Learned gents (and ladies, if we have any!).

I've found some spare cash and am now looking at replacing my badly worn out shocks on my K1200RS (98).

I've pretty much decided to go for a Wilburs for the back - the local bloke apparently does different weight springs, and can tailor one for my weight (I'm tall and heavy), but I can't quite stretch the budget to one for the front as well.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hagon shocks for the front end? I've noted that some people think they don;t look so great - which doesn't concern me - but I'm looking for input regarding how well they perform/last.

Also, would it be worth me putting in some heavier weight oil for the forks? I know they don't have springs in them - but they do have some form of damping, correct? Would a heavier weight oil help with compression damping (my front end bottoms out fairly easily - although not as easily as the rear does!).

Any input welcomed.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2012, 12:10 am
Addict

Hey DaZZA, fastlarry has a set of Ohlins for sale here in the classifieds. 1300 USD is probably less in AUD and makes for an excellent buy depending on the age and mileage of them. Also, you could have them serviced and still be way in front. Changing the rear shock will make a difference, changing the front as well will make a HUGE improvement and greater than the sum of both shocks if that makes any sense.
A new front shock will benefit braking and steering and balance the bike while just replacing the rear will lift the rear to its optimum position while leaving the front end too sagged creating faster steering due to the steepened rake, but also create a greater likelihood of front end instability as well as a tendency to "fall" into courners.
Changing the fluid weight in the forks will be of zero benefit as they have no input on suspension. But changing the fork fluid generally is a good idea as it keeps moisture and contaminates out of the internals and prolongs seal life. BTW I paid NZD3500 for my Ohlins and even at that price I considered it a worthwhile investment as the next option was a new bike. I still love my RS. Also remember the shocks can be removed and sold separately when you want to upgrade the bike

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2012, 8:02 am
Veteran

Yes the oil in the forks has no effect at all...Its just there for lubrication of the fork tubes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2012, 9:49 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
BTW I paid NZD3500 for my Ohlins and even at that price I considered it a worthwhile investment as the next option was a new bike.
Eeeeek! That's a lot of Ice Cream....! Sorry....smilies not working from here today.

OK....I bloody hated that front shock, even at a low milleage it did show enough faults for me to replace it. All you have to do is hit a big dip in the middle of an S-curve as you are changing direction.Plenty of them around here.

Ohlins/Wilburs will take that in stride, not so the OEMs. BTW I have improved the front suspension on all my BMWs since 1985, most of them just about as soon as I bought them.This one had to wait a bit......only a year.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2012, 5:05 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
Yes the oil in the forks has no effect at all...Its just there for lubrication of the fork tubes.
Fair enough. I won't bother with trying to make it better, then. :-) Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode