a new "smell" on my 2002 K1200RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2012, 11:36 am Thread Starter
Rookie

a new "smell" on my 2002 K1200RS

Hey folks, just a quick note. I'm noticing a smell that really reminds me of burning rubber, like a tire etc.. when I stop after riding for a bit. I rode this girl all through the hot Colorado summer with +95 F days and haven't noticed this smell until recently now that the temps are dropping. I've looked around for anything touching the muffler, but haven't noticed any thing at least on the surface. Am I getting over sensititve or is this a sign of something you guys have been through.

Thanks in advance, this group rocks!
mrbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2012, 4:48 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill812
Hey folks, just a quick note. I'm noticing a smell that really reminds me of burning rubber, like a tire etc.. when I stop after riding for a bit. I rode this girl all through the hot Colorado summer with +95 F days and haven't noticed this smell until recently now that the temps are dropping. I've looked around for anything touching the muffler, but haven't noticed any thing at least on the surface. Am I getting over sensititve or is this a sign of something you guys have been through.

mrbill
Smells of all sorts I get now and then...I always chalk it up to crap on the exhaust. I have had the rubber/ electrical smell but nothin ever came of it. the next time you take your fairings off check the header pipes. I have had road stuff burn up on them.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Noob

I've smelled it also

Having only put 1600 miles on my new to me K 1200 GT, I have smelled it also. I actually rode it about 200 miles today to take care of some family business. I smelled it when I got back home and have smelled it before. I also chalk it up to the foot getting too close to the exhaust. Bike is running great, so I haven't thought about it much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 2:15 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salthawk
Having only put 1600 miles on my new to me K 1200 GT, I have smelled it also. I actually rode it about 200 miles today to take care of some family business. I smelled it when I got back home and have smelled it before. I also chalk it up to the foot getting too close to the exhaust. Bike is running great, so I haven't thought about it much.
I'm in the same boat, the bike is running great, but I did realize that I had too much oil in it and last night I finally had time to pull some out with my electric oil pump I use for winterizing and changing oil in my boat, which worked great until one of the plastic fittings failed and I got hot beemer oil all over

I'll take close look at the headers etc. when I get the tupperware off in a few weeks. I'm not going to sweat it at this point, ride while I can!

thanks,
mrbill
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 11:18 pm
Enthusiast

Smell

The emissions canister that is under your seat over the front of your rear fender has the final rubber hose line that lets your fuel tank vent ,,, and that rubber hose is long enough to let it get on the catalectic convertor of your exhaust system , a thought .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2012, 6:05 am
Addict

Stank!

Well I was in this boat for a little while and here's what I found. One day I was getting ready for a ride and noticed my left inner pant leg was burned up.It had multiple holes in it so I traced my behaviors and found this. Since my shock/springs were worn slap out, and the angle of my normal parking spot, I had to slide off the bike holding it up and make sure it didn't tip over to the right because the bike was standing too straight up from the wore out suspension. This sliding action would cause my left inner pant leg to just brush my exhaust lightly and it would burn them, leaving an ugly burnt black residue on the cat. I have since installed Ohlins suspension and got into the habit of keeping my left foot on the peg as I dismount, like getting off a horse. So check you britches for holes...Lol!

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jim S.
[/COLOR] * Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2012, 6:15 pm
Enthusiast

Yep, synth pants could be a problem, but I am betting it is just the stuff on the road being kicked up and sticking to and burning on the exhaust. I definitely can tell as we go into fall when I have ridden in areas where pine or cedar is falling onto the road more, especially after a rain, etc. Doesn't matter which bike, catches my attention at first, but by now it is 'oh, yeah, road crap on the exhaust.'

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2012, 11:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill812

mrbill
Mine smells different after most long distance rides.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 3:25 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks guys, I will check out the rubber hose under the seat as my shocks are at the 30k mark so maybe that is an issue. I don't wear synthetic pants so I'm ok on that one, but I'll be something got up in there (converter area) from the road and I just cant see it yet.

As always much appreciated,

mrbill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode