Tire longevity not miles - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2012, 10:31 am Thread Starter
Rookie
 
mrbill812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fort Collins , Colorado, USA
Posts: 44
Tire longevity not miles

Well just got off my first fall morning ride on my K1200rs with the temp around 38 degrees F, and it was a joy of a ride, compared to my old naked SV650! As long as it's dry, I can easily make it down in the 20's I think.

I know this site has plenty of opinions and suggestions on tires for my K1200rs so I won't start that but I do have a question on my current tires.

when I bought the bike it came with Metzler 880's. I still have plenty of tread left and I've gotten use to the feel of the tires as they are not as sticky in the twisties as tires I've used in the past on my SV650, but no problems as of yet and my daily riding is on the highway so I do want longevity as I can't afford to put tires on every 5k.

The current tires were replaced at 22,867 and I'm @ 30,400. I'm not so concerned with the mileage as much as the year they were put on the bike. The tires were replaced 7/27/07 so it's now of course 10/04/2012 so the tires are over 5 years old. That's the part that concerns me.

I haven't done any research on the Metzler website yet, but I wouldn't run my truck tires any longer then 5 years, (many cager tires have a "born on" date) so that's my only concern with these. I don't know if motorcycle tires are date sensitive or not? And from my point of view, if you ride a bike regularly like I do, you would never hit the 5 year time frame.

My thoughts are with colder temperatures coming around the corner or already here, As long as my tread and wear bars are ok I should be safe until the spring. Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
mrbill
mrbill812 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:12 am
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newport, Wales, United Kingdom
Posts: 273
I just recently had this very conversation with a tyre supplier and he said that the 5 year rule applied to all tyres. I would examine the tyres carefully for any cracking etc, also the tyre will have a date code, they could have been a couple of years old when put on.

880's ? Blimey,although Metzler still make the 880 they only list it these days for cruisers and much older bikes, think the Z6 or Z8 are theyre current recommendation, though again personally I wouldnt put a Metzler on a CG125.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
Special-K is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2012, 1:31 pm
Addict
 
flyingkiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Port Macquarie, NSW, Australia
Posts: 415
Why would you want to take the risk? A few hundred for fresh tires is cheap insurance and peace of mind on the road

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
flyingkiwi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2012, 2:58 pm
Veteran
 
BAK04GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Meredith, NH, USA
Posts: 1,511
The norm is 6 years if tire is loose and unused and is not maintained, warped, stored in a dark and climate controlled area and 10 years if mounted (RMA) , maintained proper air pressure and used in normal non extreme climates, exception would be tire cracking or any other visual indication of weather or impact damage. Use nitrogen if there is any chance the tire will be in service for long periods of time to prevent any additional possible degrading of the rubber from within from oil saturated air or contamination from air compressors and help maintain proper tire pressure and prevent excessive swings from heat cycles.

Last edited by BAK04GT; Oct 4th, 2012 at 3:48 pm.
BAK04GT is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2012, 2:15 pm Thread Starter
Rookie
 
mrbill812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fort Collins , Colorado, USA
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
Why would you want to take the risk? A few hundred for fresh tires is cheap insurance and peace of mind on the road

Thanks guys for the info and input.... Kiwi what risks are you talking about? If the tires are in good condition, I keep them properly aired are these tires at anymore risk of blowing then any other? Trust me I don't mind spending the money especially for safety, heck that's what I get paid to do! But like everything there is a balance. I'm very familiar with trailering tires and truck tires, I just wasn't sure how motorcycle tires faired or are manufactured, but I am already looking for replacements. If the previous owner hadn't put the tire replacement date and mileage in the back of the Clymers manual, I probably wouldn't have paid any attention to the date they were mounted and hence there wouldn't be this discussion

My intent is to make it well into retirement which starts in 3 years!

mrbill
mrbill812 is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2012, 2:48 pm
Member
 
Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: , Wild Rose Country, Canada
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill812
... I've gotten use to the feel of the tires as they are not as sticky in the twisties as tires I've used in the past on my SV650 ...
I have no experience with your tires whatsoever but it is a giant mistake to compare the feel of any tire on your Beemer to the SV650. The Suzy has a 250+ lb. advantage over the K12 and that has a huge impact on traction. You just can't make that comparison. It's not apples and oranges, it's apples and giraffes.
Yoda is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2012, 3:28 pm Thread Starter
Rookie
 
mrbill812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fort Collins , Colorado, USA
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
I have no experience with your tires whatsoever but it is a giant mistake to compare the feel of any tire on your Beemer to the SV650. The Suzy has a 250+ lb. advantage over the K12 and that has a huge impact on traction. You just can't make that comparison. It's not apples and oranges, it's apples and giraffes.
Thanks Yoda, point well taken. What I was really trying to get across is that it is obvious that the Metzler's on my K1200 are built for miles not dual compound for hard leaning in the twisties, as I've had on my SV. Your absolutley right, no comparison of rides between these two PERIOD! Bad example on my part.

thanks,
mrbill
mrbill812 is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2012, 6:19 pm
Veteran
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Burton, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,782
I see you are going by the installation date. May not correspond with the date of manufacture of them tires. Look up the date code on the tires, should be next to the DOT info. 4 digits in a "box". The first 2s are the week of manufacture, the last 2s are the year.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
H96669 is online now  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2012, 11:27 pm
Addict
 
flyingkiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Port Macquarie, NSW, Australia
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill812
Thanks guys for the info and input.... Kiwi what risks are you talking about? If the tires are in good condition, I keep them properly aired are these tires at anymore risk of blowing then any other? Trust me I don't mind spending the money especially for safety, heck that's what I get paid to do! But like everything there is a balance. I'm very familiar with trailering tires and truck tires, I just wasn't sure how motorcycle tires faired or are manufactured, but I am already looking for replacements. If the previous owner hadn't put the tire replacement date and mileage in the back of the Clymers manual, I probably wouldn't have paid any attention to the date they were mounted and hence there wouldn't be this discussion

My intent is to make it well into retirement which starts in 3 years!

mrbill
Hey mrbill, there may not be any risks, but I believe as a tire ages, especially with out much use, the compound will possibly harden, and while general riding is probably fine, I would be more concerned in the wet where you want all the tire compound to work as it's designed to do. I was merely stating my personal preference to have fresh rubber on my ride as an insurance policy to ensure I have everything in my favour. I only run third party insurance so if the spill is my fault I'm out of pocket. Ensuring my tires are in the best condition possible is part of my personal insurance policy if that makes sense.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
flyingkiwi is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2012, 8:39 am Thread Starter
Rookie
 
mrbill812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fort Collins , Colorado, USA
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
Hey mrbill, there may not be any risks, but I believe as a tire ages, especially with out much use, the compound will possibly harden, and while general riding is probably fine, I would be more concerned in the wet where you want all the tire compound to work as it's designed to do. I was merely stating my personal preference to have fresh rubber on my ride as an insurance policy to ensure I have everything in my favour. I only run third party insurance so if the spill is my fault I'm out of pocket. Ensuring my tires are in the best condition possible is part of my personal insurance policy if that makes sense.
I agree with you Kiwi, I'm not one for taking chances with rubber on any of my vehicles. My idea of a good riding day has nothing to do with sitting on the side of the road (or in it) with a bad tire.

My preference for real riding is fresh rubber. For the next few months riding will be intermittent so I was just pre-planning for the spring when I saw the tire installation date in the Clymers. What I wasn't thinking about was that these already hard tires as you stated could be harder due to age, that is something to mull over. I don't plan to take it out in the snow during the winter, and our roads in Colorado are dangerous anyway for bikes due to the sand that tends to stay on the corners, which doesn't matter what kind of tires you have on! (winter and early spring)

I'm guessing your bike insurance most be pretty expensive if your only carrying what we call liability insurance in Colorado. I think I pay less then $350 a year for full coverage with $100 deductable, so that's cheap in my book for this beauty!

mrbill
mrbill812 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A ride tale Arr2Kay Bike Talk 8 Dec 1st, 2010 2:42 am
How many miles on average per tire? taxswami K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 21 Jul 22nd, 2007 9:35 am
Uneven tire wear AZARCONE1 Bike Talk 1 Aug 10th, 2006 3:14 pm
Emergency tire repair - tips and suggestions? jeffdean Technical, Repair and Maintenance 8 Mar 23rd, 2006 10:14 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome