Picking up new 2001 k/rs Thursday - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 8:29 am Thread Starter
Noob

Picking up new 2001 k/rs Thursday

Hi all, first post here as I have been lurking a little while trying to figure out my next bike. I just sold my 06 KLR and am moving into new territory, a new to me 2001 K1200RS which I pick up in Yonkers this Thursday.

I will be taking the train up from central Virginia, subway to Yonkers, then the bike south to Virginia Thursday and Friday. I am pretty excited. The bike has 32k on the clock, was originally from Connecticut and Massachusetts, is silver and blue zebra and has a nice Corbin saddle. Any chance anyone knows this bike?

I am a little worried about its history but so far it all seems to check out.

Anyway, cheers to this forum and I look forward to learning from this bunch.

Last edited by Lakerider; Oct 23rd, 2012 at 1:07 pm. Reason: should have put bike year on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 9:40 pm
Addict

Good pick,you will enjoy this fine motorcycle.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2012, 3:32 am
Addict

Photos are mandatory. Congrats on your new ride, and welcome to the forum

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2012, 5:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

455 miles and she's home

Hmm, I haven't posted pictures to this forum yet so not quite sure how.......

Picked up the K/RS in Yonkers, NY on Thursday--did the ol' rail and ride. Timing worked out perfectly for a change. Got on Amtrak in Charlottesville, VA at 7 AM after dropping off my daughter for her school, early-morning bus-trip to Jamestown. Very smooth and leisurely ride to New York's Penn Station where we arrived early. I took the subway to Yonkers and was met by a lovely Irish gentleman who likes to buy and sell motorcycles among other things.

Well, I'd say I got a pretty nice deal. I checked her over, loaded the bags (has system cases) strapped on the extra windshield he gave me, and left within one hour of getting there. I decided not to go down toward Manhattan and the Jersey Turnpike, rather I went for the wide Hudson River and the Tapenzee Bridge and south-west from there. I busted out 122 miles to Bethlehem, PA as it was getting dark and misty and I thought it best to go ahead and get a room instead of pushing 300+ more miles at dark. So far, I had only been on the slab, something I rarely did on the KLR this jet replaced.

So, first riding impressions: a bit awkward at slow speeds since I am used to a big front wheeled enduro but as soon as I pointed her onto the freeway and blasted out of the exit ramp, wow. I was trying to play if very cool working the different bmw-style blinkers and keep my speed close-ish to legal and keep my eyes peeled and I quickly realized that trip digs is possible without a thought. OK, the riding position on this one is a bit terrible. I am 6'1" and was cramped up like a race-horse jockey, not an ideal position for the long haul. And, the particular windshield was great for slower and warm weather driving but I was definitely in the buffet zone for high speed city evacuation. Corbin seat very nice, very firm, but could have been dished out so that I was so close to the raised pegs. I have got to see how I can lower those puppies.

Looking forward to getting it all cleaned up and looking underneath to see everything. Need or want owners manual, repair book(s), a few new tools (suggestions), and more time in the saddle. Occasional box of rocks but not much at idle. Seems perhaps a bit when fan turns on but not sure there. Love the sound, smoothness, gear box very smooth. All in all I was very pleased with the bike. She seems very solid and gave me zero issues on way home.

More later and I'll figure out how to post. do I insert the link or just get my file size small enough to attach?

Thanks all!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 10:36 am
Veteran

Rider's Manual and Maintenance Instructions...there are 2 booklets....were still available last time I checked. Around $20.00 each.But flip the seat over first and look in the little storage compartment build into the seat.

Look there and save that link if only to look up parts:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

I tried to find my link to a proper manual at Tradebit,(09-01) that is one that is indexed and has good pics. Hum.....not there anymore. There are others offering PDFs of the manual but if not indexed that you can search them or go to the right chapter through a PDF reader, that's a lot of wasted time.

Get a Clymer but also the BMW manual somewhere, they can complete each others very well.

My quick way for pics....send pics up to my Photohost, then on here click the little yellow sun/mountain icon at the top of the reply box, then copy/paste the link from the photohost in there.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 11:13 am
Enthusiast

Honeymoon

Lakerider

I was going to respond to your original post and stopped.

You have now discovered all that I was going to tell you seeing that you were coming off a KLR.

Me, I owned a 2004 K1200GT (basically an RS) from 2004 - 2007. Bought it new.
Traded it in on something or another...

Anyway, this August I sold my 2011 GS Adventure. Went out and bought a 2012 650 Vstrom.. zero down 0 % interest for 5 years. Took $6,000 of the sale $ and bought a 2003 K1200GT off of Craigslist in NJ. About a month ago. Grey Hounded it to NJ, rode it back to Cleveland. 460 miles. I'm very familiar with the GT from my past experience.

Personally, I don't much care for it as a day in day out ride. Pretty heavy just to muscle around in the garage. I'm going use it for highway travel primarily. If I go slab for any distance, this will be the bike. Not something I'd chose to hop on to go up to the Post Office and back.

That all being said, I like the bike.
Had to be pruned to taste though.

For me, bar backs are an essential add on. They are available for the RS, but they are different than those for the GT.

Also, on the GT the footpeg plates have 2 positions. Down and forward is the one for me as opposed to the up and back (sport bike like) setting.
I'm sure that aftermarket footpeg relocaters are available for the RS as well, positioning them even lower.
Lastly, the stock screen on a 2002-2005 RS is WAY NOT GOOD for me. Too much wind noise. For that matter the stock screen on the GT is Not Good either. The bike that I just purchased has the stock GT screen with a Laminar Lip accessory attached. It's surprisingly good.
Not as good as the Aeroflow Tall Touring screen that I had on my 2004 GT back in the day, but much better than stock.

So now that the reality of your new bike is setting in... you can prune it to taste. Lots of good used stuff available. new parts out there too.

Here are some pic of my 2004, from back in 2005. The Aeroflow is on it...probably the risers too.

My new 2 me 2003 is Grey Green. It has risers as well. Just lowered the footpegs yesterday.

Dmilan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008_edited.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	620.4 KB
ID:	13948   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	606.2 KB
ID:	13949  

Last edited by DMilan; Oct 27th, 2012 at 12:10 pm.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 1:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Let's see if this works. 2001 K1200RS from pick-up trip.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 1:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Both these pics are from iPhone. The dark shot is in front of the hotel in Bethlehem, PA--a very nice little town--on the first night after jetting out of NYC. The gas station shot is second fill up where I took pictures of odo and pump so I could later do some mileage tabulations. I got about 42 mpg on the slab moving pretty quickly. I imagine it could be so much better if I wasn't speed passing the trucks avoiding my secret fear of re-tread decapitation, which wouldn't be good.

I'll try right away and move the pegs around as I was def in racer position, which is something I just aint used to is all. I did get an aeroflow windshield with some homemade brackets so I'll have to try that too. No original stuff in the tool kit zone under the seat but I did score a few good tools left there.

I had a hard time driving my car after being on the bike a few days. I wanted to climb onto the roof and ride it. I am happy though. It is the cheapest Porsche I could imagine.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 3:03 pm
Enthusiast

Beautifull

I always liked that color combo.
Also like the 2003/4 white and blue Zebra.

I read that the bike came with a second screen.
Hope the Aeroflow works for you.

I'd buy an Aeroflow for my new /used 2003 GT if they still made them.

They have, or can make the plastic, but not the mounting hardware....

Enjoy
dmilan
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 5:50 pm
Noob

I purchased a 01 KRS in May of this year with 21,000 miles on the clock. I found that the riding position caused my knees to talk back to me also, so I purchased a lowering kit from Beemerboneyard. In addition, I found that using a left over Airhawk air seat helped raise me up just high enough to keep my knees from talking back... I've done one 1400 mile and one 1100 mile trip now with her, and find I like her better with each adventure.... I've been getting around 41 mpg; highest has been 45 mpg, but I was really taking it easy that day.... I've managed to break 30,000 miles since May, and performed all the 24,000 mile maintenance myself, including the valve check....
On question, do you have any issue with downshifting to 1st after coming to a stop, if you don't downshift while still moving? That's my only issue with the bike so far, and not sure if it's something to worry about or not....

Oh, BTW, my bike came with the bar backs already installed, so with the combination of the bar backs, Airhawk, and lowered pegs, I find the bike quite comfortable, but I'm only 5'11' so you have a little more height to work around....
Good luck with your new toy, I think you will come to enjoy it a lot, once you get used to her.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode