'98 K1200rs re-routing fuel hoses? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 9:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

'98 K1200rs re-routing fuel hoses?

Has anyone ever routed their fuel hoses a different way? I would like to replace all the fuel hose, not using a quick disconnect, but brass barbed fittings, and want to avoid the 180 degree bends on the short hose pieces on the right side of the engine. I have 15 feet of top quality fuel injection hose, but didn't want to buy the expensive OEM hose. Is it possible, especially since the factory hoses also make a turn before the clamp to the fuel rail. By the way, my '98 doesn't have quick disconnects but appears to just have a plastic connector and clamps where the lines meet on the right side of the engine.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2012, 6:12 am
Addict

Nothing wrong with using the brass barbs, although the tank on my '98 is off so often my personal preference is for the metal QD's.

If you can find a better route I see nothing wrong with that either. But my impression is these bikes are like products that have been designed by a computer where optimal use is made of the space with thought about service operations (I exclude the clutch and O ring in that!) You would have to make sure that any alternative route will work when the plastics are on without rubbing or fouling. I went through a similar excercise with the water hoses, then found there was minimal clearance when the plastics were fitted.

The big advantage of using molded hoses is you can route the fuel lines in a very compact way - even though the oems are not cheap. If you really want to help yourself, buy the hoses tees and bends to replace the oem breather hose which rots out - biggest bang for the buck that mod.

Aftermarket straight fuel line hose of the same bore (8mm) will have re-enforcing in the rubber core and an outer woven sheath. That makes the hose bulky to do a tight 90 bend. A molded hose with just a reinforced core can give you the 8mm bore and tight bends in a smaller space.

I cannot see how you can avoid bends of some sort if you are going to use a straight hose and so I would still come back to a molded shaped hose with molded bends as being the best solution. There are firms who sell custom molded hose in short lengths with one elbow or bend for those who build kit cars. If you can do the job with one 90 bend, with the brass barbs as in line connectors to straight hose that might work better.

Post up some pics when you finish.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2012, 12:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1200rs re-routing fuel hose

Vox, looking at it again it seems like a very difficult problem, considering the very limited clearance. I might be able to rig something with 90 degree and u-shaped stainless steel connectors but it would introduced many new potential points of failure and still put strain on the fittings. I looked at routing one or both in front of the engine from the tank but seems like a bad idea and would still need some kind of 90 degree bends. Of course, I'd like to just replace all the oem hoses and be done with it. There are four including the u-shaped ones that connect to the tank Just didn't want to spend the $120 or so. I already ordered the OEM breather hose, and that price was painful enough. Still thinking but will probably order the BMW parts. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2012, 5:55 am
Addict

If you had posted sooner I would have said fabricate the breather hose, because their hose compound deteriates with the oil mist. Save the money on buying that new oem part which will suffer the same problem and take the hit on replacing the fuel lines with oem.

The fuel lines are pressurized to around 60psi, so you do not want to take chances with lots of joins or splices.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2012, 9:31 am Thread Starter
Noob

98 K1200RS fuel line/breather hose

Yes, the breather hose certainly deteriorated with one large hole and a connection slipped off. It was probably 14 years old, though. The air filter even had oil in it. If I'm Ok for a few years after all of this replacement (I'm doing the coolant hoses too) I'll be happy.
Thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2012, 2:42 pm
Addict

I did the same thing you want to do minus the barbed fittings. I replaced my hoses with a high quality fuel injection hose but retained the QD's and was able to properly bend the hoses so as not the restrict any flow from the tsnk to the rail.Just take your time and you will be using a little bit more hose since the bends must be more "rounded".....good luck. You will need some tie-wraps and an imagination.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode