HID Lights. Dipped beam conversion - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2013, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

HID Lights. Dipped beam conversion

Hi

I want to improve the lights on my 99 K1200RS. I would appreciate your opinions/advice on the following:

1) Am I correct in thinking that my bike does not have a canbus

2) Do I need a bike specific HID light such as this at 54: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1705729563...84.m1423.l2649

or is this one okay at half the price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H1-H3-H7-H...item1c22ba2653

I am thinking that a 4300k bulb is best, but should I go for 35w or 50/55w. I ride all year round in not so sunny(rainy) England.

All advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2013, 7:25 pm
Addict

Yes, you r correct-no Can-Bus. If your headlight bucket is the same as my 2004 KGT then you need an HID kit specifically for you bike. I bought mine from Pirates Lair. It is great(-Just the low beam (dipped beam). This kit included a seal that plugs into the back of the headlight bucket. Mine is held on by a wire that swings down and seals the back of bucket. Just need to drill a hole in the back to seal the new wires of the HID. Since your bike is designed for driving on the wrong side of the road ( ) there should be no other problems. Email them-nice folks and good service.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2013, 11:27 pm
Veteran

I bought a supposedely "Motorcycle specific" kit and hacked it so I did not have to drill through the cover and install the grommet. Removed the grommet and cut 2 small slots for the wires in the headlight housing then installed the cover over that.Actually worked better that way as I did the high beam also and was easier to install that bulb in without a grommet in the way.A lot less modding required that way to fit a high beam bulb into the OEM socket.

Been 3 years and all is fine and yes it is a 35WLo. But my high beam is a 55W and as both are on at the same time when on Hi beam, the low does show a little yellower against the high.

So no you probably don't need a "motorcycle specific" kit.I could fit anything on my bike as long as the bulbs are right. I see they don't have anything lower than 4300 Ks, I am pretty sure mine is lower than that and done so I did not get as much reflection against rain/fog or highway signs.

Sorry can't post pics from here otherwise I'd show what I did.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2013, 12:48 pm

I put a DDM HID low beam on my '03 GT. Very reasonably priced, easy installation and problem-free after 2 years' use. Lots of light. They have high beam kits as well but there's plenty light without one.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...-Kits-Lighting
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Enthusiast

Hid

I just yesterday purchased a DDM kit as in the prior post.
Have not received it yet.
Less than $40.00 USD delivered here in the U.S.

35 watt
4500k bulb

Should be well apart from any yellow cast, plenty WHITE... I don't want any Blue tint. I don't know, seems showy.

Like the Compact Florescent bulbs in my home/garage... Soft whites look too yellow, seem not bright enough. Daylight bulbs look right to me. Upper spectrum BRIGHT WHITE, good, bright, but a bit too blue, unnatural.

my .02
Dmilan
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Enthusiast

HID on RS

I managed to mount both high & low ballast on the headlight cover as well as not drilling through the cover . IT works great as well as 2 35 watt HID's on axillary lights ! + blue bottom LCD's + under fender red LED's , check it out .

Last edited by joesflashdog; Jan 10th, 2013 at 9:17 pm. Reason: typo
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 10:16 am
Addict

The OP is in UK so he may not be so familiar with the US brands and sellers.

Whilst there are plenty of kits out there, there are 2 types of configuration. One type has 4 components - A HID bulb and holder, an electronic ballast, the high voltage igniter and connecting cables.

My UK bought kit has the igniter and ballast all in the same weatherproof housing which is how they do it for oem on cars. But I can see having a separate igniter adds some space choices. With one HID kit I don't think it makes much difference for space, but integrated ballast and igniter units came along later in the development cycle.

There are many firms selling kits. These bikes use a H7 dip beam bulb. You can find the kits really cheap now on Fleabay, but you get what you pay for in build quality and reliability.

I bought four 35 watt kits from these people 5 years ago and all are still going strong with zero defects. I made a personal visit to their place. Choice is between 5K white and 6K white to a touch blue is yours. Mine are all 6K which gives exceptional daylight viz which I thought was important at the time. I have no probs with MOT's.

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7-motorcycl...rsion-kit.html

They may be more expensive than buying Chinese imports, but their ballast units are compact and well enclosed in a very good oem looking ali weatherproof housing. Lamp start times are good on a cold lamp at about 1/2 second and their interconnecting leads are of high quality necessary for the voltages.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2013, 5:05 am Thread Starter

Thanks

Hi

Thank you for all the info . I will let you know what I decide. Just for your information anything that comes to the UK from outside of the EU would attract 20% tax, so I will have to stay within the EU. This is quite frustrating as often items (Japanese motorcycles and ohlin shocks) are much cheaper in the States. Here is an example of how costly things are here in the UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ohlins-Mon...item53f32cc99a

The above costs tthe equivalent of 1550 dollars.

Mark
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2013, 5:10 am Thread Starter

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
The OP is in UK so he may not be so familiar with the US brands and sellers.

Whilst there are plenty of kits out there, there are 2 types of configuration. One type has 4 components - A HID bulb and holder, an electronic ballast, the high voltage igniter and connecting cables.

My UK bought kit has the igniter and ballast all in the same weatherproof housing which is how they do it for oem on cars. But I can see having a separate igniter adds some space choices. With one HID kit I don't think it makes much difference for space, but integrated ballast and igniter units came along later in the development cycle.

There are many firms selling kits. These bikes use a H7 dip beam bulb. You can find the kits really cheap now on Fleabay, but you get what you pay for in build quality and reliability.

I bought four 35 watt kits from these people 5 years ago and all are still going strong with zero defects. I made a personal visit to their place. Choice is between 5K white and 6K white to a touch blue is yours. Mine are all 6K which gives exceptional daylight viz which I thought was important at the time. I have no probs with MOT's.

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7-motorcycl...rsion-kit.html

They may be more expensive than buying Chinese imports, but their ballast units are compact and well enclosed in a very good oem looking ali weatherproof housing. Lamp start times are good on a cold lamp at about 1/2 second and their interconnecting leads are of high quality necessary for the voltages.
Thanks for the info and in particular about the MOT. Are the 6k bulbs okay in heavy rain? as I ride all year round that is an important point.

Regards

Mark
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2013, 8:08 am
Addict

I have 6K to be seen in daylight which is when I ride most and am most likely to be T boned if not seen. I am also very visible in rearviews.

I don't find a problem with rain, but fog gets a bit nasty as it throws back a lot of light in your face. Also those big blue motorway signs and cones are extremely bright so I look away. Once you put in a brighter HID light, I think the differences between 6K and 5K are quite small. Some USA States are a bit funny about anything not like a tungsten yellow light, but in UK you will find most of the Korean SUV's are running 6K also some Audis. From what I see coming at me, the BMW cars seem to be lower at 4-5K.

If you get a 5K HID it will migrate towards 6K after many running hours (i.e go bluer).

Whatever colour temp you choose, buy the parking bulb as a led the same colour temp to match.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode