just stopped running - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 12:51 am Thread Starter
Rookie

just stopped running

Hey All, couldn't find anything on this issue so putting it out there for any ideas. I was riding my 03 k12gt to work when it just started to hesitate, as I pulled the clutch in, it just stopped. I tried to restart but it just rolled over not kicking in, not even trying to kick. fuel was about 4 days old and I had ridden it for about 35 ks before this happened with no dramas at all.
Has this happened to anyone else and any ideas as to what it could be?
Fuel pump still making noise when key turned on.
any ideas appreciated thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 4:14 am
Addict

Quote:
as I pulled the clutch in, it just stopped
May be coincidence, but it could be a fault in the stand/clutch/shift interlock wiring or switches. Their purpose is to stop you starting and running the bike if in gear with the side stand down. It is just like putting on the handlebar cutout switch whilst riding. You did not do that by accident did you?

Search the forum because this is a nasty bit of BMW design to fault find.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 1:54 pm
Enthusiast

A bad batch of fuel could have plugged your filter, especially if it was nearing time to renew. I had exactly this happen to me. I was 60 miles from home when I stopped and fueled. After maybe 10-15 miles, it hesitated then died, let it sit, and it would restart and go a bit, then repeat till I could make it home. Since the fuel stop was the only 'change', I made the assumption it was bad fuel plugging the filter, similar to an experience with a car I had dumped old gas into from a gerrycan when in a pinch. When I changed the filter on the bike, I could not blow through the old one at all, cut it open and loads of junk from that last load of fuel was plugging it. You could pull your injectors and see if you are getting any fuel spray. If no spray, it is likely either the filter is clogged or split inside the tank. Either way, drain the tank and pull the filter. If it is okay, then, maybe the pump is making sounds but not actually pumping. Good luck.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 3:08 pm
Veteran

Just yesterday removed the fuel filter on my RS. Well under the recommended BMW schedule for replacement but I usually ignore that, wouldn't be my first time for a bad fuel filter. Just about plugged solid I could barely blow through it....looks like my bike was just about to stop on its own.

BTW the other filter from 2 years back was also pretty dirty. Not plugged but also well under the recommended change. I do cut them open just for clues.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 7:45 pm
Enthusiast

Well - it's either fuel, air or spark.

Air is seldom a problem, so move to spark - take a plug out - lay it on the block and see if you have spark. (you probably do) so now we're down to fuel.

As mentioned - check filter and fuel lines...easy stuff...I'd start there.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2013, 4:45 am
Addict

Quote:
I do cut them open just for clues.
I do the same because I aim to be conservative about changing it.

It is one thing for BMW to recommend a mileage replace figure, but another is knowing how clean the gas is you are buying and how clean their tanks are.

There is yards and yards of fine paper in those filters and you have no easy way of telling if your fuel pump is over pressuring to supply the fuel rail. The consequence could be stopping caused by an overloaded and failed expensive electric fuel pump.

I wish they had put in an over pressure release valve on the filter input. The bike would not stop, but power would drop off with the lower fuel flow rate letting you know the filter was blocked. I looked at it once and thought about 75psi would do the trick, but stopped short of finding something small that could be fitted on the Xmas tree inside the tank.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2013, 10:29 am
Veteran

The clean gas.... Got to wonder how often they change their pump filters. I think those have a bypass so if getting plugged, they can still pump/sell gas.I'll ask next time.

Got to wonder where I got the dirty gas, maybe all over as I rode some remote Canadian roads last year, on them roads you don't want to pass by too many gas stations without topping up and regular gas only. Same with some American roads I also rode last year.

Oh well....darn expensive filter the BMW one, got to check how much it was at my other supplier and maybe buy "a few" of them. And glad I don't have to replace the sock at BMW prices.....

Wear at the pump, that I don't like at all. Bench tested I'd say it sounds a little funny but could be because it is empty. May have to go read on fuel pressure tests later.

Injectors....was planning on sending them in for a cleanup but at 100,000 Kms, that's not just yet. Next winter but will see how it goes in the spring when I get back on the road.

I truly hate going into that tank just to replace a filter, what should be a 5-10 minutes job turns into an hour or two of piddling around and gas fumes. The GS guys external filter mod is starting to look very appealing to me. Not sure if we have the room but I sure do have all the lines/fittings required to do that. May do some mocking up as I put everything back together. One more filter to cut open next fall at about half the recommended milleage,then I'll make up my mind....mod or not.

+- 42" of paper in one of them, measured it yesterday just for kicks. Well....there is stick on ruler tape on my bench from a previous project.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2013, 2:33 pm
Addict

That 42" is about what I measured.

Think carefully about the external filter mod. I think the reason BMW put theirs inside the tank is if they get plugged and explode or split, you are not turned into a human fireball.

All it takes is one of those modded GS's to have a lazy owner and the bike won't just stop but split its filter can. I tested my old filter can under water just for kicks and went to over 80 psi. but those pumps can go way over that. That is why I always thought there should be an over pressure bypass valve put in before the fuel filter.

If you ever consider going external then think about some kind of pressure switch that can cut the pump if it tries pumping more than 100psi.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2013, 2:59 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
That 42" is about what I measured.

Think carefully about the external filter mod. I think the reason BMW put theirs inside the tank is if they get plugged and explode or split, you are not turned into a human fireball.

All it takes is one of those modded GS's to have a lazy owner and the bike won't just stop but split its filter can. I tested my old filter can under water just for kicks and went to over 80 psi. but those pumps can go way over that. That is why I always thought there should be an over pressure bypass valve put in before the fuel filter.

If you ever consider going external then think about some kind of pressure switch that can cut the pump if it tries pumping more than 100psi.
Split inside the tank....just like the original K filters in 85. Yep there is a reason they are now built like a little tank. Reminds me to find out exactly where the filter is on my car, hopefully not a lifetime one inside the tank.

Pressure relief switch or bypass yes....lots of time to think about that. No need to have another bike burn at the gas pump, old story but got my lesson a long time ago.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2015, 9:31 pm
Noob

how does the fuel filter come out???

I have the tank off and drained and cant seem to get the big plastic lid to unscrew and the bottom of the tank.

Is there supposed to be a football shaped disk bouncing around in side???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode