New GT owner in Robin Hood Country. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2013, 9:59 am Thread Starter
Rookie

New GT owner in Robin Hood Country.

Hello from Nottingham - Long time GS owner here, still love that old tractor.. but fancied something with a bit more oomph and so just bought an 04 K1200GT in Grey/Green and rather nice it is too. Completely standard aside from auxiliary LED spot lamps to the front and a Topcase to the rear. No Cruise control.. but that doesn't bother me. Panniers removed and in storage until required.
Bike has just had its 24K service. New PR3 tyres and battery so should be good for the rest of the year. Im really impressed with its performance so far and Im sure I'll have a lot of fun with it. Keeping the GS as its worth more to me than it could ever sell for.

The new bike.

And its older sibling. a 1999 R1100GS (ABS)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2013, 10:20 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker
Hello from Nottingham - so just bought an 04 K1200GT in Grey/Green and rather nice it is too.
Welcome to the site Tony, and congrats on the new bike. In my eyes, the RS/GT is the swoopiest, sexiest bike BMW ever made. I had an '03 RS that I turned into a GT, and I thought it was a fantastic bike. I traded it in for a new GT in '07, but I still have a lot of good memories of that '03!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2013, 11:10 am

Welcome

Hi

Welcome to the Forum.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2013, 12:18 am

Nice...I have a 2003 same color. The bike is well represented here and most of the answers are here if you are willing to search a bit.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2013, 8:43 am
Enthusiast

Got an 04 in the same"money" color. I get a lot of compliments on the look and the color. The ladies like something other than black. Add'ed PIAA auxiliary lights, an autocom system, garmin Zumo, pillion backrest and lowered pegs for her and audio amplifier to mine. I love this bike and will always keep it, if for no other reason than a loaner bike for visiting friends.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2013, 10:58 am
Enthusiast

I have the same year, color and model -

A very nice and powerful machine. That Brick engine is bulletproof. I like your GS as well - but different bikes for different rides!

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 7:28 am Thread Starter
Rookie

I have a ZUMO fitted to the GS and am just waiting for a new cradle to arrive from Amazon - so it can be transferred between bikes. It has LED spot lamps fitted - which help considerably 'fill out' the dip and main beam. Aside from that its completely standard - has had very little use. average of 3,000 miles per year. Previous owner bought it on a whim but lost confidence when he almost dropped it - he was very short. 5'4.

I was looking for an RS - but availability wasn't exactly huge. And then this turned up for the same kind of price of a much older bike - so was, in my opinion a bargain. I'm 6'5 tall and found it immediately comfortable - the ride home was 160 miles. I got home with just a very slight back ache.. so will be investigating ways to cure that. - I find myself sliding forwards in the seat. a common issue I see. I might have the seat rebuilt to cure that in due course.

fwiw - this is my first ever '4'. my first ever 'sports' type bike with tupperware and i am really pleased with it. It has by far the best gearbox I have ever encountered - click click. rather than the more usual bang clunk on the Boxer. the power delivery is staggering by comparison.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 7:49 pm
Enthusiast

Yeah -

The trans on your GS is built like piece of Polish farm equipment - rugged but clunky. The GT is like buttah. Power is your friend - watch for speed cameras!!!

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT

Last edited by Beemer01; Feb 4th, 2013 at 4:52 pm.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2013, 3:36 pm
Noob

Congrats and Welcome

Cee Baileys Motorcycle Windshields - "When you want the very best"
www.ceebaileys.com
Add us to your Circle on Google+ now: Cee Baileyís
You can now follow us on TWITTER @CeeBaileys
Be our friend on Facebook and like our Fan Page: Cee Baileys
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2013, 8:52 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer01
The trans on your GS is built like piece of Polish farm equipment - rugged but clunky. The GT is like buttah. Power is your friend - watch for speed cameras!!!

I had to go inside the transmission on my RS....all the bearings are "Made in Poland".

BTW, the GSs and GT/RSs share a lot of the same transmission parts.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode