K12RS shocks - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2013, 8:21 am Thread Starter
Rookie

K12RS shocks

Anyone know if front and rear shocks from a 1999 K12LT will fit on a 1998 K12RS. Have a chance to buy a 1" lower set of shocks off an LT and would like to install on my RS.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2013, 10:11 am
Enthusiast

Even if they do physically fit I cant see them being any good, the LT must weigh another 100lbs.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2013, 11:27 am

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special-K
Even if they do physically fit I cant see them being any good, the LT must weigh another 100lbs.
LT weighs 79kg (174lbs) more than RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2013, 1:08 pm
Veteran

Don't know and don't think so.

But if you have lenght specs or pics of the LT shocks, I have a set of "take off" OEM Showas that I could compare fitment to.I can certainly measure.

If just for the bike's weight specs....I wouldn't do that, could be harsh on the old back.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2013, 4:11 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Good point. Thanks for the info.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2013, 10:24 pm
Rookie

I don't know how easily available this service is across the pond - but here in Britain there are numerous places that can and do fully refurbish BMW (non-rebuildable) shocks, In most cases they braze on a valve and refill the body. take off the spring - test it and if necessary replace - though need for a replacement is rare. The usual cost for this service - excluding a new spring is: £100 plus shipping. This is very common for GS owners who are happy with the original shocks and cannot justify paying 10 times the price for Ohlins or Wilbers.

It will certainly be the route i'll be taking as and when the OE shocks on my GT 'wear out'.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2013, 11:46 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker
I don't know how easily available this service is across the pond - but here in Britain there are numerous places that can and do fully refurbish BMW (non-rebuildable) shocks, In most cases they braze on a valve and refill the body. take off the spring - test it and if necessary replace - though need for a replacement is rare. The usual cost for this service - excluding a new spring is: £100 plus shipping. This is very common for GS owners who are happy with the original shocks and cannot justify paying 10 times the price for Ohlins or Wilbers.

It will certainly be the route i'll be taking as and when the OE shocks on my GT 'wear out'.
I looked into that a couple years back. No problem doing that with the rear but not so with the front. That one is crimped together and can't be easily opened.

Maybe something came up in the last couple years, don't know but I'll listen if you have any new info on that.

Something the LT guys have done with some success is to install progressive Hyperpro springs on their Showas. Listed on their website them springs....Hyperpro.

If the OP wants to DIY new springs....not as hard as some may believe replacing springs.With the right DIY spring compressors actually easy. Even making compressors is relatively easy. Made two sets, one is now in Eastern Canada....mine stays in the West, sorry no Winnipeg but I can certainly show & tell on the "how to".

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Rookie

You're right. The consensus seems to be that the front shock has double the service life of the rear - so its not usually necessary to 'replace both at the same time. Fortunately there always seems to be plenty of low mileage second hand shocks available - not to mention far more affordable 'brands' made here in the UK at a far lower price than either Ohlins or Wilbers.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2013, 3:52 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker
You're right. The consensus seems to be that the front shock has double the service life of the rear - so its not usually necessary to 'replace both at the same time. Fortunately there always seems to be plenty of low mileage second hand shocks available - not to mention far more affordable 'brands' made here in the UK at a far lower price than either Ohlins or Wilbers.
Double the service life??? Ouch! that's the one I really hated the front one, big dips in the middle on an S-curve and hang on when that thing compressed/rebounded. Anything but progressive that spring. All replaced at 40,000 Kms.Ohlins take that kind of stuff in stride.

The rear one, did not wait until I blew it. 3 of them on the old GS under warranty, none lasted more than 15,000 Kms. Had to reinstall the low milleage take off from my K100RS when I sent the aftermarket in for service.....quickly blew that one also but I think the seals may have dried out from disuse and then it leaked.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2013, 11:37 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
Double the service life??? Ouch! that's the one I really hated the front one, big dips in the middle on an S-curve and hang on when that thing compressed/rebounded. Anything but progressive that spring. All replaced at 40,000 Kms.Ohlins take that kind of stuff in stride.

The rear one, did not wait until I blew it. 3 of them on the old GS under warranty, none lasted more than 15,000 Kms. Had to reinstall the low milleage take off from my K100RS when I sent the aftermarket in for service.....quickly blew that one also but I think the seals may have dried out from disuse and then it leaked.

Yes.. Double. I am obviously talking about the front shock on the GS - which i think its true to say has to work a lot harder on that bike - than the one on the front of my GT - which seems to have had a very easy life. I'm pretty much amazed by the suspension on this bike thus far.

But as with anything mechanical - there are always exceptions.

even for Ohlins.

Not pretty is it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode