bummer news from dealer - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2006, 6:03 pm Thread Starter
Addict

bummer news from dealer

rode my 04 kgt(20k miles) over to my dealer in tampa today. there was some oil mist below the boot on the rear end, just wanted to check it out. so the service mgr looks it over real close. immediately says i either have a front or rear seal blown in rear end. then he looks closer and finds some seepage in cases between engine and clutch. "is your clutch slipping".......i answer "no". "looks like main seal blown there too". two day job, they will probably have the bike a week. i'm so dissappointed...........i luv the bike so much. ride it real easy. i'm looking at a new '06 330i currently. it's got me wondering about bmw quality. i guess this just luck of the draw. if i had raw-dogged the bike, it would be different, but i cruise around 70-80 and never wind it tight. i keep wondering if there were anything i could have done to prevent this. i'm stumped. does the model have a history of bad seals.? i just bought it new in april '05.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2006, 6:59 pm
Veteran

Bill
Bad deal!! You probably run your bike as hard as 90% of the people here do(regardless of what is said on some posts). Let us know how much gets covered by the warranty.
Bruce C
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2006, 7:50 pm

Germans are known for their engineering. Japanese are know for their (boring) reliability...I believe this applies to both cars and bikes and base it on my own experience as well as what I've read. I think that even american cars have passed german cars for reliability (only). Remember everyone is entitled to an opinion and I don't want to offend anyone or start an argument. I currently own 2 BMW cars (740i and M3) and 2 BMW motorcycles (R1100RS and K1200RS) and I'm not planning to get rid of them (well, the cars are going away in the divorce but I'm not getting rid of them for reliability reasons). --Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2006, 8:16 pm

To answer your question, I've read that the seals are a common problem with this bike. I've not had any issues with mine in 14K miles, but some do, and others go upwards of 50-70K before this shows up. I think yours may be a unique situation. At least the service manager acknowledged it and is taking care of it.

BMW car reliability isn't perfect - but in my honest opinion, good enough given the other qualities. I have an X5 in my stable that's had a few bugs, but nothing major that would scare me away. My next 2-wheel and 4-wheel purchases will still be Beemers. If you like the 330, I'd say go for it and enjoy. I've driven one myself and it is an awesome car.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2006, 8:47 pm Thread Starter
Addict

good attitude

that's the attitude i'm taking. let them fix it under warranty, the service mgr at euro motors of tampabay(todd) was very professional explaining they would take care of it under warranty. so be it.......
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
rode my 04 kgt(20k miles) over to my dealer in tampa today. there was some oil mist below the boot on the rear end, just wanted to check it out. so the service mgr looks it over real close. immediately says i either have a front or rear seal blown in rear end. then he looks closer and finds some seepage in cases between engine and clutch. "is your clutch slipping".......i answer "no". "looks like main seal blown there too". two day job, they will probably have the bike a week. i'm so dissappointed...........i luv the bike so much. ride it real easy. i'm looking at a new '06 330i currently. it's got me wondering about bmw quality. i guess this just luck of the draw. if i had raw-dogged the bike, it would be different, but i cruise around 70-80 and never wind it tight. i keep wondering if there were anything i could have done to prevent this. i'm stumped. does the model have a history of bad seals.? i just bought it new in april '05.....
It's a common problem. I have had the seals on the forks go last year. (First 2 years of my bike it lived in Florida, heat did the damage there). Now my rear seal is leaking, but not blown, should be a $200 fix..... I have 30K miles on my 02 RS
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:14 pm
Veteran

ride it real easy.
if i had raw-dogged the bike, it would be different, but i cruise around 70-80 and never wind it tight. i keep wondering if there were anything i could have done to prevent this.

Don't ride it easy they aren't built for that. I'm not sure what "Raw-Dogged" means
but I guess it means beating on the bike? Big difference between abusing the bike and riding like it was meant to be ridden. BMW's like to see red line now and then. Seems that most of the bikes that have problems are the ones that get babied..
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2006, 10:05 pm
Enthusiast

Welcome to the club...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
My bike in nearly done with repairs for same issues. Clutch front seal, rear seal and valve covers. Warranty work. Now is the time to have any extra wiring done or service for aftermarket stuff as long as he'll be pulling tanny and everything off the bike. That's what I did with mine (03K12RS w/ approx 23k mi.). Pains me to see failure rate on the K1200, always thought these things were bullet-proof. Guess quality control in Germany has taken a dump on this for the later models (though my dealer stated only about 5% have this issue from this dealership). Personally I'd suspect the percentage to be closer to 10% from this forum's postings. Maybe all their engineers were too busy bustin' a nut trying to get the K1200s r gt motors for '05 and '06 to be too concerned about the production lines cranking out the last of the "old style motors" or unloading inventory.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2006, 11:04 pm

Talking Regardless ............

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Bill
Bad deal!! You probably run your bike as hard as 90% of the people here do(regardless of what is said on some posts). Let us know how much gets covered by the warranty.
Bruce C
Well, I guess my posts are bullshit then. Either that, or I am a nutcase. I hit the rev limiter almost every time I go out, and it doesn't start purring until 100. Never encountered a problem yet, some call me anal about checking/maintaining my bike.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2006, 11:18 pm

Rear main seal leak

I just got my 2000 K1200RS with 40K out of the shop after they found a leak in the rear seal. They had to remove the transmission (12.5 hours of labor) and install a $16 piece and $2 washer. $900+ later I'm back on the road. Ouch!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode