Dripping ABS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2013, 11:20 am Thread Starter
Noob

Dripping ABS

Hey out there, My 03 GT has an electric motor in the ABS unit that's leaking and I can't find a seal to replace the one that's gone bad. Might have to replace the motor as a whole but can't find any nomenclature there on. Thanks in advance of your fantastically informative response. Skizick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2013, 2:22 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skizick
Hey out there, My 03 GT has an electric motor in the ABS unit that's leaking and I can't find a seal to replace the one that's gone bad. Might have to replace the motor as a whole but can't find any nomenclature there on. Thanks in advance of your fantastically informative response. Skizick
The motors themselves do not have seals....the seals are part of and within the unit.

Last edited by BAK04GT; Mar 14th, 2013 at 2:29 am.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2013, 11:36 am Thread Starter
Noob

There are two motors within the ABS unit. One for the front brakes one for the back. They drive pumps. The seal I need separates pump side from motor side. I found ONE seal stateside that may cure my leak. ID 5mm, OD 15mm, 6mm thick. SKS1972. If the bearing that the shaft runs thru isn't two loose the new seal should fix things. Thanks for your response. You're the one in 100 that took pity on my plight. Next time you're in Fiddletown, the beer's on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2013, 1:53 pm
Veteran

You can buy the motors..for around $240.00 each. I cant remember the place but it is in here someplace. If you have your motors out of the unit you may want to pull them apart and check the brushes and commutator for wear and crud build up. Mine were toast and built up with a lot of crud. I replaced the whole unit to save the pain in the ass. I had MAX do it and it was worth every bit of the $400.00 they charged me for labor, remove ,replace, bleed the system DONE!..These units are very sensitive and the problem with these units are endless. I got about 100,000 miles out of mine but some only get 30,000 out of them. Its a crap shoot.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2013, 3:30 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I don't know if there is a MAX on the West coast but they sound good. Haven't tried to pull the motors apart. I'm sort of tipee toeing thru this thing and the motor didn't seem to want to part on the brush end. The motor source would be handy. New brushes wouldn't hurt I'm sure. Thnx agn
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2013, 5:25 pm
Enthusiast

MAX BMW is the local dealer in New Hampshire, your local is A&S. Hard to get down the hill to Roseville with your ABS pulled apart though. But I am curious...since I lived in Fiddletown for 10 years.....didn't know there was another KBike in all of Amador County let alone another RS/GT in Fiddletown....where will you take him for a beer? Or just bring some home from Pokerville? I used to live on Hale Road.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 12:59 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Anchor Steam

Hey There Feller Fiddletonian, We lived on Rolling Oaks Court for a spell. Mostly we live downtown, across the creek from the park. Got the K from Rory's Towing. Impounded, riding with somebody else's plates. I think the guy might have let it go because of the ABS stuff.
Electric power brakes...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEE. Me no like. .
Anyway, got the seal in and the leak stopped. The rear brake motor doesn't spin. Guess I'm goin' back in. Wish I could get source for the motors, KEG brand from what I could see. Specs. are gone off the name plate
As to Bruski, Anchor Steam, Frosty mugs, my back porch. Maybe go for a ride on my other K model. '52 KHK. Magneto and a carb. No black boxes...

Last edited by Skizick; Mar 23rd, 2013 at 1:25 pm. Reason: One more questoin-misspelled woid
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 5:09 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skizick
Hey There Feller Fiddletonian, We lived on Rolling Oaks Court for a spell. Mostly we live downtown, across the creek from the park. Got the K from Rory's Towing. Impounded, riding with somebody else's plates. I think the guy might have let it go because of the ABS stuff.
Electric power brakes...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEE. Me no like. .
Anyway, got the seal in and the leak stopped. The rear brake motor doesn't spin. Guess I'm goin' back in. Wish I could get source for the motors, KEG brand from what I could see. Specs. are gone off the name plate
As to Bruski, Anchor Steam, Frosty mugs, my back porch. Maybe go for a ride on my other K model. '52 KHK. Magneto and a carb. No black boxes...
Here you go
Got word finally that the motors for the iABS brake system can be purchased. After disassembly of my iABS unit due to issues of sudden brake warning lights flashing and power assist failure (BAD!) I found my assist motors worn at the commutators and brushes to the point of intermittent motor failure and no brake assist. I have been hunting for a connection to buy these motors that are not obtainable through BMW and you must buy the whole iABS unit at over $2,500.00 If your unit is just in need of motors here is where they can be purchased. Here is the email I received inquiring purchase.
Date: 8/15/2011 6:57:21 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: M42-40 (211220) DC motor

body, html { overflow: hidden; } Hello Mr. Kenney,

Part # 211220 M42x20 12 volt DC motor: (KAG Manufacturing)
Qty 2 is $207.56/unit. (each) Lead time is 6 weeks ARO.

Sincerely,

Dan McFarland, VP Sales
408-529-5450 (Direct#)
408-993-0123 (Fax)
www.mcfarlandassociates.net.com Just make sure you check your part numbers on the motors
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 6:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Hope you like Anchor Beer...Thanks. I'm going to bench test the motor next. Don't want to buy a motor when its the circuit board, etc. It's more fun when you can share your misery with others, EH?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode