Damaged heated throttle grip - - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2013, 7:10 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Damaged heated throttle grip -

Hello,
Proud new owner of a 2003 K1200RS - Throttle grip has a small tear and I can see inside the grip that the plastic tube that rotates is partially broken back about 1/2" and the end of the heater element wire is barely sticking out the end of the grip. Heat element seems to work fine.
Short phone conversation with my local BMW dealer says to replace the assembly is about $120 in parts and $250 in labor - The out of state dealer (not a BMW dealer) I bought it from is acting like all that is needed is to cut off the old grip and glue on a new one (like any dirt bike).
The shipper marked the grip as damaged before it was shipped so there is no question it was damaged on his end.
I have not been able to get it to the dealer to look at it yet because of weather.

Is this something that if I am careful I can just replace with a new rubber grip?
On the other hand, if it is so easy to replace the grip why did he not do it himself before he shipped it?
I am stuck between two dealers - Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2013, 9:16 pm

I've replaced the grip over the old element before. Getting the old grip off without damaging the element is a tenacious job that takes time and patience, but it can be done.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2013, 8:00 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for your response - What adhesive remover or solvents did you use to remove the old grip? Also, What adhesive did you use to mount the new one? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:23 am
Enthusiast

Easy

There seemed to be two different grips used on the KGTs and KRSs - The one you have is easy to replace. I use a shot of compressed air to loosen the grip and then you slowly peel back the rubber grip being VERY careful not to damage the wiring on the tube. Once off I've used aftermarket grips available on eBay. If you measure, one side is slightly larger than the other - I've just compensated by wrapping the smaller grip with black fabric electrical tape and then I used grip Glue to really lock the new grips in place.

$15 fix.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gassit
Thanks for your response - What adhesive remover or solvents did you use to remove the old grip? Also, What adhesive did you use to mount the new one? Thanks again.
Compressed air... some very sharp blades and a ton of patience. Hairspray for adhesive.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2013, 8:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the input -

Dealer (USA Cycles) in Dundee MI has agreed to pay for the parts and labor to replace. I will post again when I get the check.
Thanks again.

in Dundee Michigan hasa agreed
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2013, 7:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

USA Cycles comes through

To follow up - rec'd check for full amount to replace the heated throttle grip assembly - Work is done and I pick it up tomorrow. THX to Todd at USA Cycles (Dundee MI)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode