Driveway Tip-Over - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2013, 8:04 am Thread Starter
Noob

Driveway Tip-Over

My 2001 K1200RS had a nap on her right side for about 15 minutes before getting it off my maybe broken foot and getting a neighbor to help pick it up. The angle of repose was slightly downhill. Now it won't start. It sounds like the fuel pump is empty in spite of 1/3 tank of gas.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2013, 9:33 am
Enthusiast

Look for a bent or broken limit switch,

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2013, 4:23 am
Addict

Sorry you had a tipover and hope your foot is ok.

It is very easy to misunderstand the weight of the K-bike if you are new to it. Slopes on driveways and gravel are tipovers waiting to happen, unless you read the 'rules'. Parking on downslopes using the side stand is best avoided (unless bike is left in gear). It is far better to take a little time turning the bike around to park 'up hill', preferably on the center stand. In my driveway I park uphill on the center stand with the sidestand also lowered.

Right side is where the fuel pump is.

After any tipover showing some external damage, you should always remove the plastics and check for internal damage behind the plastic panels.

Key areas are the fans and housings, ABS fuel tank, radiators, their mounting brackets and radiator hoses. Right side also has the foot and hand brake so both levers and their microswitches may need checking. The engine cutoff switch is also on the right side bar assembly.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; May 5th, 2013 at 4:29 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2013, 9:31 am
Veteran

Right hand side, I'd sure check the radiator on that side. My only tipover and the fairing pushed against the airbox which in turn pushed the rad and bracket sideways. Rad is slightly bent from that but not leaking.

But at the same time the tipover slightly dislodged the lower radiator hose and that leaked a little.

American bike with a charcoal canister??? I'd look at that to make sure the canister isn't full of fuel, that may flood the engine and prevent it from starting or if it starts may run poorly. Seems to happen frequently to them GS guys.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode