No starter response - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2013, 9:08 am Thread Starter
Noob

No starter response

2003 - K1200gt: After a recent fill up on the way to work early in the morning, I pressed the start button and nothing. A quick look over (did I somehow hit the kill, lower the side stand, etc?) ... nothing out of the ordinary. After several retrys, all worked well. Started on command, no unusual sights or sounds. On the way out of the gas station however, the instrument lights, headlight and tail light went out - engine still running. I turned on my Aux driving lights (PIAA) and headed back home (1 Mi). Pulled into the garage and switched the ignition off. Engine stoppped running but the started motor was activated and engaged. Nothing changed that situation. Yanked the seat double quick and disconnected the negative of the battery. After work that day, I disassembled to access the starter relay/module. I lifted the cover off the relay module to find the relay output contacts had lightlty fused together. Seperated them and burnished with some 400 grit and assembled. After a day of battery charge, I tested. After turning on the ignition, all was normal (fuel pump activation,etc...) pressed starter button and only heard a click - no starter motor activation. I ordered and replaced the starter relay/module and normal function has now resumed. BMW Part# 61357655540 - $120. Hope this helps someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2013, 10:06 am
Addict

You went around all the right things. Low or a sudden death battery failure seems to knock out the starter relay contacts if riders keep trying to crank (on a low battery).You will know if you have been letting the battery get low for starting and a tender 24/7 fixes that. Recharging often appears to make a battery seeem ok, particularly in Summer. But then the slow cranking problems and risk to the starter relay come back in Winter. Check the battery terminal voltage with a digimeter whilst cranking, after leaving the bike stood 24 hours . Anything below 10 volts means you buy a new battery.

Lights going out does not seem related to the starter problem. Perhaps you still have a problem with grounds up front in the lighting wiring and it may come back?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2013, 10:29 am
Addict

Agreed. You diagnosed it perfectly. Had that happen on a Ducati-tiny battery-low voltage-starter relay fused-starter running-disconnect battery. Also, on a '06 K12GT-shitty Gel battery-2 months old (battery)-low volt=lights out, guages out. Yes, your lights and gauges out was part of the battery problem Bought an Odyssey battery-and no more problems. Modern ECU's want full juice or you've got roblems. If you haven't bought a new battery yet-get an Odyssey 680 and enjoy! BMW/Exide or BMW/Gel batteries are just as expensive as a AGM battery. AGM battery is the best. Wifes Audi came from the dealer with a AGM battery (mounted in the trunk btw) and still going strong after 7 freakin years .

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2013, 10:09 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
You went around all the right things. Low or a sudden death battery failure seems to knock out the starter relay contacts if riders keep trying to crank (on a low battery).You will know if you have been letting the battery get low for starting and a tender 24/7 fixes that. Recharging often appears to make a battery seeem ok, particularly in Summer. But then the slow cranking problems and risk to the starter relay come back in Winter. Check the battery terminal voltage with a digimeter whilst cranking, after leaving the bike stood 24 hours . Anything below 10 volts means you buy a new battery.

Lights going out does not seem related to the starter problem. Perhaps you still have a problem with grounds up front in the lighting wiring and it may come back?
Hey Vox! Always good input - thanks..There's a BMW gel in there now - holds a good level under load so I'll hold off on batt replacement for now. Test ride OK with no holdover symptoms. The relay/module is quite a creation - complex mini PCB using SMD devices - looks like this opens light circuit @ start command so starter can receive lions share of current.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2013, 3:52 am
Addict

I believe they modified the starter relay (or added electronics) to try and stop it operating with low battery voltage. There is a tendency these days to throw in lots of smd circuitry making vehicle parts so unique and sometimes more unreliable so you are locked into high dealer prices for parts.

There is already a simple system on the bike they call 'loadshare' to kill the headlight during cranking. However, this is a pain when you fit HID lights or have worn starter brushes. The amount of juice their 'loadshare' principal saves is only around 6 amps (low on main beam off) compared to a 300 amp draw from the starter motor. If a battery is so bad it has to rely on that current saving to crank the bike, then it is pretty bad and needs replacing. Funny thing is they went to all that trouble, but did not design the parking switch position on the ignition switch so you could accidentally leave it on and come back to a flat battery.

If BMW had really been thinking about it, they could have put their loadshare relay on the accessory outlets which most use for heated gear and makes more sense. BMW loadshare is one of those quirky things you think makes sense until you do the sums.

An Odyssey PC680 battery makes a lot more sense, win-win on everything.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode