Exhaust - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2013, 8:18 am Thread Starter

Exhaust

Hi All

My 99 K1200RS has a standard exhaust, however I have noticed that lots of these bikes have nice shiny standard silencers! Mine is quite dull and looks aluminium. Are there two different silencers, one shiny and one dull?

Any info welcome.

Thanks in Advance.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:05 am
Veteran

Yep later ones had the shiny stainless can. I know the shiny SS can/sleeve comes off on my bike but don't know if you can retrofit it to an earlier model. Watch them bloody bolts holding the can and rear cap, they corrode and can be very hard to remove.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2013, 8:28 am
Enthusiast

I understand that the SS muffler sleeve is interchangeable, and if I recall correctly was a warranty item long ago. I Like the aluminum look.

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2013, 8:48 am
Rookie

Easier to buy a full replacement - if the shiny one is worth £125 to you - here's one in ESSEX removed at 4,000 miles.

http://tinyurl.com/p7p23s6

keep an eye on eBay - these babies turn up all the time.

Last edited by Motobiker; May 23rd, 2013 at 10:32 am.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2013, 9:55 am
Addict

I got a 2003 KGT as new 'take off' from the States and put that on my '97 KRS. Many buy these bikes and want lighter and a different sound, so buy aftermarket.

My header flanges were so badly corroded (NOT stainless steel) that I was not going to mess about swapping bits over. I did open up the old can just for kicks with an angle grinder. As others said, rusted in bolts are a pain.

If you buy a clean take off from the States (and quite a few come up), check the seller has the right facilities to pack and send. It is doubtful that a private seller could do it. I went through a bike parts seller (like UK Motobins) used to handling international shipping.

Shipping from US would probably cost you as much as the selling price, as the system is in one piece, very heavy and needs contorted packaging to protect the headers and muffler sleeve, It is very nearly a small crate job. Use DHL/UPS etc. Do not even think about el cheapo surface mail ending up in Mount Pleasant UK, else you will have a ££ surprise on arrival!

If your headers and the pipes to the CAT are all good, then you will not want the uncertainty and pain of import. Either buy a nearly new complete system from UK, or even a new sleeve at Stealer prices may work out cheaper.

I like my stainless polished sleeve. I have gradually been replacing most parts that go bad on the finish with stainless. I am a lazy 'wash and go' guy who hardly ever gets the polishes out!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2013, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

Shiny Exhaust Sleeve

Hi

Thanks for all the input. Bought a new SS one for the unbelievable cheap price of £45.00 delivered. Now the fun begins can't get the mounting bolts off, H96669 did warn me) drilled the end cap bolts off as they only go into spring clips. Any tips? Cant really drill the mounting bolts out, as I would still need to remove them once I have taken the sleeve off.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2013, 7:16 pm
Veteran

Drill away, they aren't very long but they are stainless so use the proper precautions to drill them. Don't harden them with heat drilling too fast, otherwise you may never be able to drill again you'll have to grind. They also go into a void so would be easy to retap them.

But first try to work them ever so slowly back & forth, you may even want to try tightening them a little if just to break the bond. Slowly back & forth trying to get a little more movement each time. Don't try to remove/unscrew all at once, the threads will pack and then they'll jam real good.And lots of lube as they start to move.

The cap...darn thing, first time two springs broke and the bolts just spun. Lucky for me they broke small so I could still pry the cap without drilling. I drilled the holes on the cap and got bigger clips at the autoparts. Then bigger shiny SS bolts.

Bloody cap....took the rest of the black coating off and that was hard, , then polished it. Cheap(er) SS is now rusty. Serves me for riding on wet roads with leftover road salt and not poolishing after.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Last edited by H96669; May 30th, 2013 at 7:21 pm.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2013, 9:49 am
Veteran

Got them out yet? Eh....I forgot to add heat yesterday to the bolt removal. Maybe because I just spent 32 days/12 hrs a day adding heat to just about everything.

That muffler gets pretty darn hot, may be enough just running the bike first.But watch out and wear long sleeves/gloves otherwise we may have to compare burn marks.I got a few of them recently.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2013, 10:24 am
Addict

You write off the cap retaining screws by drilling the heads carefully with a drill a little under the external size of the head so the screw head breaks away.

Then you lift/pull back the cap through the threads sticking out and you can see the crappy spire clips they use all rusted through. You will not damage anything. The clips are so thin and crappy they will be rusted out and breaking up by themselves (U need new spares).

What I did was to cut 3 small rectangular pieces of stainless sheet and drill center holes to take a stainless self tapping screw. The rectangular pieces I made were slighly larger so if they turned, they stayed stuck against the internal hardware.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode