tire wear indicators - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2006, 6:22 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Cool tire wear indicators

How does one know when to replace tires. Are there wear indicators/ depth of tread? On my cars I use a penny with the depth being edge of penny to lincoln's head. Any advice would be appreciated

K12Marine
98 k12RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2006, 8:09 pm

tire wear indicator

I usually can tell that my ride becomes unstable. If the tire pressure is good and the suspension is fine, then I notice the tire treads are the piss poor, time for new tires.
If I recall correctly, Michelins have a tread wear indicator. But I think most manufactures state that replace the tire when the tread wears to 1/16".

Be one with the bike!!!

ONON-
Mark
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2006, 9:59 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvreschar
How does one know when to replace tires. Are there wear indicators/ depth of tread? On my cars I use a penny with the depth being edge of penny to lincoln's head. Any advice would be appreciated
Most all mc tires have wear indicators. The Bridgestones that came on the bike did, as well as the Metz Z4s, Contis and the Avons I've been using and will probably stick with. The only ones that I've seen that don't (at least the usual type indicator) are the Metz Z6 rear tire, with it's slick center tread pattern. But I understand it has some type wear indicator too.
Look again it's probably there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:32 pm

Look a bit to the left of the center of the picture, you can see two wear indicators at the middle of the tread. I replaced this tire, even though the indicator showed some wear left, because ther were cupped and made the bike wobble at 60 mph. The tire is the OEM Bridgestone 020 on my K RS.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2328sm.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1553  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2006, 7:23 am
"Hey Y'all"

When you get home and .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvreschar
How does one know when to replace tires. .....
Sometimes it's by wear indicators.
Sometimes it's because a trip is planned.
And sometimes it's because you get home from a weekend of frolicking and .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3382Worn_Out[1].jpg
Views:	420
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1557  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2006, 1:01 pm

Tread Wear Indicators

A few months ago there was an excellent post on this, complete with pictures.

It showed how to find the tread wear indicators and what they look like.

The tires had the letters TWI stamped on the sidewall at several locations and once you found the TWI then the tread wear indicators are adjacent to them in various locations, some near the center and some near the edge of the tread.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2006, 3:05 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfespinosa
Look a bit to the left of the center of the picture, you can see two wear indicators at the middle of the tread. I replaced this tire, even though the indicator showed some wear left, because ther were cupped and made the bike wobble at 60 mph. The tire is the OEM Bridgestone 020 on my K RS.

Ron
Those front 020s are notorious, aren't they?.. Mine (original factory fitment) did the same thing. Really noticed it after my first long trip on the bike to VA, around on the BR Parkway south back to Florida. Never really felt it on the road though.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcurtis
Those front 020s are notorious, aren't they?.. Mine (original factory fitment) did the same thing. Really noticed it after my first long trip on the bike to VA, around on the BR Parkway south back to Florida. Never really felt it on the road though.
I noticed mine soon after spirited riding on lots of curves. The cupping appears to be on the shoulder.

Ron
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2006, 7:17 pm

On a related note, Target (In the US) now sells a pencil type digital tire gauge with a tread depth measuring thingy (not sure what it's called) on the other end. It's about $7. I like the digital gauges because the ones I have all agree with each other (unlike the variety of pencil and dial types that I have.) I plan to measure tread depth periodically so I can see how fast they are wearing and I can use that to decide if I need to replace them before a big trip.

-hank
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2006, 7:28 pm

Tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcurtis
Mine did the same thing. Badly "cupped" at 4600 miles. Whole front end would shake at speeds 50-70 (and higher of course). The dealer tried to tell me it was from too much air in them, I have a habit of checking ? twice a week, and only ride 3-4 days a week. NOT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode