Back into a K bike - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2013, 10:37 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Back into a K bike

Had a '99 K12RS for a few years, then traded it for a Honda VTX1800C, sold that and was without a bike for a few years.

Just bought an '04 K12GT which I'll use to commute to work pretty much year round here in Texas, and will take on trips throughout the state. Bike has 13.5K miles and appears to be in good condition. Rubber is good for now and tires are about 2.5 years old. Right now bike is still at the dealer getting its 12K mile service, and I'll pick it up in a week or whenever I can get back over there.

Soon I'll do the metal fuel disconnect and a few other things.

I need a new helmet since mine's nearly 10 years old now. I have a Shoei X11 now, which is more of a race helmet. Thoughts on what helmet I should get? I looked at the Shoei Neotec, which is a modular, though I'm wary that the modular won't provide enough protection in the event of a crash.

I have a Shoei shaped head so prefer to stick with that brand. Thanks for any tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 1:30 pm

Hi

Hi

Sounds like a nice bike.

Helmet wise I have not tried a flip up one. However like you I have a Shoei shaped head, and if you know that you are well on your way to choosing the right helmet! In the UK we have a Govt testing/rating scheme, the Neotec scored 4 out of 5 stars.

Have a look for yourself: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Hope this is of use.

Mark
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 9:00 am
Addict

Do the quick disconnects like they were done yesterday. Honest. If one of the plastic QD's fail, you could literally lose the bike (think lots of gas on a hot engine or hot exhaust pipe). If you're lucky, it'll "only" be a slow leak, but any gas leak is a hazard. I know this sounds like a lot of alarmist BS, but the risk really is there, and the fix is relatively easy.

What other mods are you considering?

FWIW, I have a Nolan 103 modular helmet. It has decent air flow in hot weather. I can't think of a modular helmet that's as quiet as a non-modular helmet, though. I use the Nolan for short, local hops where I'm in and out of the helmet a lot. For longer rides, I wear a Schuberth S-1. Spendy but safe.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 4:29 pm
Noob

I gather Shoei make helmets around an approximately round head shape, like mine. I had an HJC FG-15 that fitted fairly nicely but wasnt great for airflow or noise.. then I had an AGV GP-Tech which seems to be engineered for slightly more oval heads, fit wasnt right out the box and needed some fettling with towel material (sounds shoddy, works though!) but was a good helmet, only marred by slight visibility limitations when I had my head down. Noise was ok. Just recently I bought a Nexx X1R1 carbon after reading the reviews and figured it was economically priced enough to be worth a gamble. I havnt had it long enough to be definitive about the build quality, some people say they have had issues, but for me it has held up well so far (I commute weekdays so all kit is well used!). I like the fact it weighs nothing (1250g), has neutral aerodynamics when I turn my head (no getting buffeted with each shoulder check) and the field of view is ridiculous, I see my eyebrows before I see the upper edge of the viewport, peripherals are expanded too. Useful for me as I spend a lot of time picking my way through dense traffic. Sound is about the same as my AGV which most people reckon is quiet, I ride with IEM type headphones in acting as earplugs anyways, but every little bit of soundproofing adds up!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 10:57 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Wound up getting a Shoei Neotec. Fits great but isn't quiet at all.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 10:31 pm
Enthusiast

Neotec concerns

Are you using earplugs ?

I've been wearing a full face helmet all my 34 yrs. of riding. But the heat and sweat build-up in the warm weather at stoplights and border crossings is unbearable.

The Neotec is heavier for sure. I went with the Multi-tec as the price has really dropped on those since the Neotec came out.

As far as safety is concerned, neither one will ever make a Snell rating. But if you've done your research, you'll see that you're still far ahead of the game;ahead of those butt heads with beanie helmets or just a little more.

Truth is, it all depends on how you crash.

There was an article about 5 yrs ago in a mag. which gave me the assurance that Snell or no Snell, as long as I had a one piece fiberglass or carbon helmet, not a two piece poly, then all will be okay. Unless you REALLY hit something hard !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode