K1200 GT Thoughts - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2013, 10:39 am Thread Starter
Noob
 
SCBMWRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Moore, SC, USA
Posts: 21
K1200 GT Thoughts

Hi all;

I have long been riding Klassic K bikes (2 separate K75's) and am the person who started the MOA Klassic K Klub and Klassic K Kampout.

Long story short I am thinking that a K1200 GT (classic) would be my preferred choice for my wife and I as a long term long mile bike. Not going to be in a big hurry, I have an 84 R100RT that I need to do a little work on and sell before I can get a GT. I test rode one a couple years ago and loved it. The size of the left saddle bag has always been a problem before. Now we have a Bushtec Spartan trailer so that is no longer an issue.

I know that the GT is basically a RS with a taller windshield and the addition of smallish fairing pieces. Weather it was right or not I was told that it was originally a Swedish police modification. My biggest question is what I should look for when shopping for a bike. Good years – bad years, spline lubes, whatever I need to look for.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.

Greg Hunt [email protected]

93 K75S
84 R100RT
77 4WD K5 BLAZER

Klassic K Kampout VI July 12-14 2013

http://brickbattalion.weebly.com/klassic-k-kampout.htm

MOA #52651, RA #28912, SLEDDOG, CONEBUTT
DOD #1698 K-whiner #350
Squid Factor 11.72
SCBMWRIDER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2013, 11:04 am
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBMWRIDER
Hi all;

I have long been riding Klassic K bikes (2 separate K75's) and am the person who started the MOA Klassic K Klub and Klassic K Kampout.

Long story short I am thinking that a K1200 GT (classic) would be my preferred choice for my wife and I as a long term long mile bike. Not going to be in a big hurry, I have an 84 R100RT that I need to do a little work on and sell before I can get a GT. I test rode one a couple years ago and loved it. The size of the left saddle bag has always been a problem before. Now we have a Bushtec Spartan trailer so that is no longer an issue.

I know that the GT is basically a RS with a taller windshield and the addition of smallish fairing pieces. Weather it was right or not I was told that it was originally a Swedish police modification. My biggest question is what I should look for when shopping for a bike. Good years – bad years, spline lubes, whatever I need to look for.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.
If you are buying a USA specs K1200GT classic (brick engine), then you are pretty much limited to a 2003-2005 model.

To the best of my knowledge, these K1200GT (2003-2005) are pretty much all the same - not much changes from BMW during production except:
1) Color
2) Motronic-ECU
3) Possible that some may not have the electronic cruise-control option

All the rest (electric windshield, heated bars, heated seat, larger fairing pieces) was pretty much standard on these K1200GT.

On the item (2) above, there was a Service-Bulletin where BMW would replace the Motronic-ECU for the latest version (part number ending with 296) if the customer complained of cold start problem (it would die if you opened trhottle until it was warmed up).

Hard to tell which ECU you will get unless plugged into the dealer's computer or a GS911 to read the data. Even removing the fuel-tank does not allow easily reading the part number - you need to remove the Motonic-ECU from its plug.

P.S.: since you seem to work on your own bikes (like me), I did not include any warnings on what to look for when buying a used BMW - I am assumimg you know some of that stuff (maintenance history, I-ABS unit sensitive to regular fluid changes...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sailor is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2013, 9:32 am
Enthusiast
 
Beemer01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lake Forest, Il, USA
Posts: 350
KGT Classic

I have one and it is a very capable two up sport touring bike. The brakes are astonishingly good and there is significantly more power than you currently have.

'Sounds like a can of rocks at idle, but moans with pleasure when you hit that sweet spot above 5000 RPM.



I have even track raced mine several times.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance


1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
Beemer01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2013, 8:48 pm
Addict
 
RBEmerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Skippack, PA, USA
Posts: 518
The black "fairing extenders" come in two forms: the hellishly expensive (IIRC $200+ ea.) but smooth fitting ones, and the astoundingly inexpensive (about $35 ea.) ones with a funny little chute or scoop at the front of each piece. The scoop or chute thingies are there to lead wiring to add-on flashing lights for law enforcement bikes. I don't think this mod is nation-specific (that is, cops everywhere got it).

Past that, speaking as an '03 K1200RS owner, the biggest changes for the GT are a slightly more upright riding position (hence the taller windscreen), heated seat (BTW, heated grips for at least the RS were an option; they may be standard for the GT), different mirrors (often fitted to the RS as the mirror area is larger and the stem looks a little more attractive (IMHO). There may be some change to the engine output (maybe trading a bit of horsepower for more torque?) but for all intents, the basic bike is the same.

That said, I enjoy the heck out of my RS. I rode an '07 K1200GT ("new "version") and found it somewhat lacking compared to the RS. And this even with the ESA option. The PO installed a custom seat that raises both seats (even with my long legs I felt as though I was "dabbing" and not planting my feet at stops), which didn't help keep the CG down. This particular bike also had a very sloppy throttle (too much play). After 80-90 miles, I can see where this is indeed a fast touring bike with two up. Since I ride solo, I'll stick with my RS, thanks.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
RBEmerson is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2013, 10:33 am
Noob
 
bulldogranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Warren, MI, USA
Posts: 1
I have a 2004 K1200GT and I can say that it's definately a sport/cruiser bike. However, with that said after just completing a 1600+ mile ride around Lake Superior, I would NOT do that again with the stock seat. Also, the riding position wasn't comfortable for that many miles two up even with a set of handlebar extenders. After 4 days, we were happy to be home and "un-ass" the bike. The left side saddle bag size wasn't really an issue even though it was significantly smaller than the right side. The cruise control is worth it! I did experience the cold start deal mentioned in an earlier post however that wasn't really an issue as I always let the bike warm up before going just to make sure the oil gets where it's supposed to go before gunning it. And lastly, the brakes are outstanding. Just be sure to brake slowly or your passenger will push you over the tank (ask me about that later when my voice drops back down a few octaves).
03k12gt likes this.

2004 K1200GT
2004 ZRX1200R
bulldogranger is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2013, 1:25 pm
Enthusiast
 
cruizbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Greater Chicago area, , USA
Posts: 373
We have had ours since 05, and it has been the best all around bike we have ever been on. We bought the last one the dealer had and it does not have the cruise control. But it was less than $100 to put throttlemeisters on it and I am quite happy with it. I only use the cruise on the highway, anyway. We have taken extended journeys on it and found it comfortable for long distances and more than enough power to have fun on the twisties, when you get there. This is the first bike in my last 5 that we did not feel the need for an aftermarket seat. But, the Pirate's lair backrest sure does keep the wife happy on long trips and it also allows you to attach a large tail bag for long trips. We added PIAA lights under the cowl, a garmin zumo, and autocom system. I also, added lower foot pegs for the passenger and a tank bag for longer trips. I have no desire to replace this bike. But, wouldn't mind adding more bikes in the garage to go with it.
03k12gt likes this.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
cruizbz is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2013, 1:21 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL,
Posts: 138
I have an 03 RS that has been partially upgraded as a GT. I originally bought the bike with barely 1700 miles on it so I've had it a while. A few thoughts.
- The GT came with a slightly better seat than the RS. The RS seat is pretty much unbearable except for short rides. The GT seat is better but only up to a few hours. You can tell the difference between the two because the GT seat has a slight hump at the front of the passenger area. The RS seat doesn't
- RS windshield is shorter, I still have my old one in the garage somewhere. The GT shield is better but if you are going to buy a windshield one of the aftermarket ones might be better depending on how tall you are
- The GT came with those wings that mount on the side of the fairing up by the handle bars. I put them on my RS because I tend to ride in the cold. They make a huge difference. If you don't ride in the cold I wouldn't worry about them.
- The GT also had those leg fairing extension things. I rode another bike that had them and wasn't impressed so I never added them.
- GT came with factory heated seat and control switch on right handlebar, RS didn't. I added the factory control to my RS because I got lucky and got the control unit cheap from a guy who couldn't figure out how to wire it in. It was a pain to wire in but not that hard.
In retrospect I wouldn't do it again since I was part of the group buy for the Russell seats. I ordered that one heated and it pretty much stays on the bike all the time. For long rides plan on spending money on a good seat.
- Definitely get the pirates lair backrest for her. I sent my in during the Russell seat buy and had it overstuffed and recovered to match the seat.
- As far as riding the bike is great, some, even. I've had about 30 bikes and for nice long term riding it is my favorite. As someone else mentioned I also tested and 07 or 08 a couple years ago and wasn't impressed enough to get rid of my 03
- Depending on your arm length, height you may want the bar risers. I added them and they are very nice for long rides. Another popular option is the foot peg extenders. Once again I think this depends on your height.
- The footprint of the side stand is a joke. If you plan are parking a lot at non-concrete areas such as grass, asphalt, etc, put a 4x4 or so piece of plywood or steel plate in one of the bags for those occasions.
- These bikes have the final drive issue that you should be aware of. Ask the Seller if the final drive has been replaced or not. When looking at the bike look at the rear boot seal and clamp area. Clean, looks like puss coming out etc.
- On a side note, NEVER, EVER be in a hurry to change the battery. I was in a hurry, didn't find my taped end wrench, used a regular one and created a small short. Quick little, zap, not even any marks on the end wrench. Just cost me $4400 for a new ABS control and brain etc. Total nightmare.
- I'll be putting my CBX up for sale in the next week or so to pay for the damn repair. Can't afford both.
Hope that helps.
AugWest is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 6:29 pm
Noob
 
AndyKB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
If you are buying a USA specs K1200GT classic (brick engine), then you are pretty much limited to a 2003-2005 model.

To the best of my knowledge, these K1200GT (2003-2005) are pretty much all the same - not much changes from BMW during production except:
1) Color
2) Motronic-ECU
3) Possible that some may not have the electronic cruise-control option

All the rest (electric windshield, heated bars, heated seat, larger fairing pieces) was pretty much standard on these K1200GT.

On the item (2) above, there was a Service-Bulletin where BMW would replace the Motronic-ECU for the latest version (part number ending with 296) if the customer complained of cold start problem (it would die if you opened trhottle until it was warmed up).

Hard to tell which ECU you will get unless plugged into the dealer's computer or a GS911 to read the data. Even removing the fuel-tank does not allow easily reading the part number - you need to remove the Motonic-ECU from its plug.

P.S.: since you seem to work on your own bikes (like me), I did not include any warnings on what to look for when buying a used BMW - I am assumimg you know some of that stuff (maintenance history, I-ABS unit sensitive to regular fluid changes...)
Hello all, I'm a new member to the forum as I'm looking at buying a 1200GT '04 model. Was looking at one yesterday with 96,000klms on it, and the salesman started it up, sounded sweet no strange noises, remus exhaust, (I also have a K100RT '88) but I noticed that it did flutter / hesitate if you gave it any throttle, as it was coming off idle. The salesman reckoned it did it till it was warmed up. I was thinking maybe Throttle Bodies need a sync, but I just saw this post, and wondering if the motronic computer replacement is still valid ( I'm in Australia ).
Will get a test ride on it during the week,and see if the problem is still there once the engine is warm. Is there other things I should look at if it still does it once the engine is warm?? Any advice will be appreciated, really nice bike!

cheers!

Andyb
AndyKB is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2013, 8:33 am
Addict
 
RBEmerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Skippack, PA, USA
Posts: 518
Although at 96,000 Km (56,000 Mi) the bike is starting to get a bit long in the tooth (still lots of use in it though), I doubt it's a sync issue. If the computer was having problems, the engine should be far more out of whack than simple hesitation. I'd think more in terms of running some effective carb cleaner through the bike for a while. Here in the US, Techron or Sea Foam come to mind - dunno what's available in Oz, though. Anyway, I'm thinking about some gumming up of passages, etc. Again, a good carb cleaning gas additive is where I'd start.

About the only thing that sounds like grief but isn't is the "rocks in the box" noise heard at idle and out of gear. They all do this. You'll ignore it once you've ridden the bike for a while.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
RBEmerson is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2013, 10:37 am
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKB
Hello all, I'm a new member to the forum as I'm looking at buying a 1200GT '04 model. Was looking at one yesterday with 96,000klms on it, and the salesman started it up, sounded sweet no strange noises, remus exhaust, (I also have a K100RT '88) but I noticed that it did flutter / hesitate if you gave it any throttle, as it was coming off idle. The salesman reckoned it did it till it was warmed up. I was thinking maybe Throttle Bodies need a sync, but I just saw this post, and wondering if the motronic computer replacement is still valid ( I'm in Australia ).
Will get a test ride on it during the week,and see if the problem is still there once the engine is warm. Is there other things I should look at if it still does it once the engine is warm?? Any advice will be appreciated, really nice bike!

Andyb
If your dealer is an authorized BMW dealer, he has access to a database of all Service-Bulletin (on-line) and could have easily found it using the search option.

Tell him/her to look for this:

Bulletin No: 13 002 04 (057)
Date published: June 2004
Topic: Throttle response when starting from cold. K 1200 RS/GT, Model year 2003/2004.

For most owners, finding the part number involves removing the fairing, fuel tank.... The Motronic part number tag is on the unit itself (version number is visible on the unit below the Bosch part number - below the barcode). For the dealer, it is an easy task using the BMW diagnostic computer plugged to your bike. If you have a GS911, you can also find the ECU version yourself without removing anything.

My experience: I have seen cases where the new and latest MOTRONIC ECU (BMW part no ending with 296) will fix the cold start hesitation. BUT, I have also seen bikes where the throttle cable(s) free-play adjustment was such that the TPS (Throttle-Position-Sensor) was confusing the Motronic. When the throttle is fully closed (idle-stop), the Motronic is expecting a certain value (tight range) from the TPS - If the cable(s) free-play is too small or nil, this will cause similar symptoms as described in the Service-Bulletin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by sailor; Aug 4th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.
sailor is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K1200 R and S air box parts compatibility Titanium5 K12/1300R/R-Sport 22 Jun 2nd, 2014 6:45 pm
2008 BMW K1200 GT For Sale Boston Bagger Bikes 7 Aug 12th, 2013 3:51 pm
Newbie member, hi all! K1200 rs 1998 NotRegistered K1200RS/GT (Classic) 14 Oct 24th, 2008 5:24 am
K1200 GT - dilemma JIS K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 14 May 13th, 2008 11:58 pm
BMW's K1200 R voted Motorcycle of the Year 2005! LOCUS K12/1300R/R-Sport 13 May 20th, 2007 10:01 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome