K120RS Sidecar Tug - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2013, 1:36 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K120RS Sidecar Tug

My 2003 K1200RS is a sidecar tug that, of course, eats rear tires at a furious rate. There is a car tire sold in England that fits the stock rear wheel and clears the rounded arc in the swingarm. Bridgestone Potenza RE040 175/55R17 Do any of you know where I might get this tire here in the USA or elsewhere and have it shipped here? (like a UK seller that can ship here). To get a 15" rear wheel for an R series bike costs over $800 but I am not sure, as yet, if one for the K1200 is even available. Direct fit to the stock wheel would be best I believe. Thanks for any help or ideas you may have on the tire or wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2013, 10:29 pm
Enthusiast

175/55-17

Hi Cal,

Wow !! Nothing even close with Tire Rack, like a 185, or even down to a 45 series.

I will keep looking at this. Not likely to find it here in Canada either. Nonetheless.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2013, 6:45 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaLbs
My 2003 K1200RS is a sidecar tug that, of course, eats rear tires at a furious rate. There is a car tire sold in England that fits the stock rear wheel and clears the rounded arc in the swingarm. Bridgestone Potenza RE040 175/55R17 Do any of you know where I might get this tire here in the USA or elsewhere and have it shipped here? (like a UK seller that can ship here). To get a 15" rear wheel for an R series bike costs over $800 but I am not sure, as yet, if one for the K1200 is even available. Direct fit to the stock wheel would be best I believe. Thanks for any help or ideas you may have on the tire or wheel.
Many owners of R1200GS, R1150GS have a sidecar. On the HACKS forum of www.advrider.com there is quite a few threads on finding a solution to the rear wheel and tire problem.

You should read (look into) this thread among many other on this subject:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418432

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2013, 8:48 am

UK Tyre Supplier

Found this on the Web, they appear to do worldwide delivery except to USA!

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...d=m54b0s2561p0

Mark

I could phone them for you?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2013, 8:54 am

Litigation

Update

Just phoned the supplier I mentioned in my previous post. They will not post to USA due to possible litigation if anything was to go wrong. They reckoned no one in UK will send tyres out there!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2013, 5:27 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Great Responses

You guys are GOLD. Thanks for trying. I hope my search from your help pans out. I will let you know either way. I will either have to buy a new 15" wheel or find a way to 'bootleg' tires from the U.K., I suppose. (for you from the U.K., bootlegging refers to hiding your bottle of illegal whiskey next to you leg in the top of your boot. From our alcohol prohibition days in the 1920's. Anything moved surreptitiously is now said to be bootlegged) Thanks Again. Cal
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2013, 5:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

To zxmark9r... You needn't bother calling them unless your brother works in their shipping department, hah. I emailed them and said I realized the USA was no longer a part of the Commonwealth like Canada and Australia but could they see their way clear to ship to an old ex-colony? They said that they aren't able to ship to the USA and no comment on my lame joke. Thanks for the offer to call them, however it would be an exercise in futility. Several 'tyre' sellers have the same story... no can do.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2013, 1:42 pm
Enthusiast

Funny stuff there Cal

I think with all the hassle of sticking with a 17", you should look at switching to a 15".

Much better tire selection, and you can fine better fine tune the overall diameter, so as to factor in the gearing and extra load that you're always carrying.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Even in the UK they know about our f***in lawyers over here.

Contact Claude at C. Stanley Motorsports. He makes an adapter that fits a 15" VW wheel onto the K-bike final drive. I run a BF Goodrich 155/80-15 on the rear of my K1200GT/Hannigan rig and routinely get 12k or better from a rear tire. And, those tires are less than a C-note mounted.

http://freedomsidecars.com/

Swallow hard at the price, then pay it and remember that you're saving by doubling your tire life with a tire that costs half of a regular MC tire.

Best,

GTRider
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 12:38 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaLbs
Since your last post last JUNE, did you find a car-tire OR a larger rim+tire for your sidecar rig ?

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode