99 K1200 RS front turn signal pod backing plate - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2013, 11:47 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question 99 K1200 RS front turn signal pod backing plate

Does anybody know where to buy an OEM right front turn signal backing plate for my 99 K 1200 RS? At least one of the baskets is broken and need to replace. Can you just buy new baskets without buying the whole backing plate?

I want to avoid bringing it to the dealer and paying throught the nose. This appears to be a simple repair. Do I have to remove the fairing or can I just remove the pod separately?

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2013, 4:02 am
Addict

This site has an excellent search engine - use it like Google!

You need the voxmagna universal solution that does away with all those nasty baskets on the early KRS and makes taking off the pods everytime when removing plastic a real dream.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...highlight=pods

If you do not want to fix the problem forever you can buy a new back plate complete with baskets, then use the old plate for spare baskets by drilling out their fixing rivets and remounting them. By the time you have done that and spent a lot of money you might as well fix the problem forever.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2013, 8:35 pm

The FIX really WORKS!

Following the Voxmagna use the magnets repair I did it to my 99 K12RS. It is the best
modification I've done to the bike besides the shocks.

I've run the bike well into warp speed and no concerns with the pods working loose.

It took very little time and the instructions were concise and easy to follow. Got my magnets of the Internet from a company I believe was called KG Magnets. They worked well and were easy on the budget.

Snowy1248
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2013, 12:02 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the suggestions to use magnets.

How do you pull off the pod to get to the backing plate and fairing pins? If the fairing blade is broken that fits into the backing plate slot will it effect proper alignment to keep the pod straight and levels? Any special tools for this repair?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2013, 4:17 am
Addict

Ah, I can see you are new and have not had the 'pleasure' of getting the pods on and off many times like the rest of us!

I do have one tab on the plastic that broke when I was a newbie like you. It is not a big disaster, but when it happened I learned how the pods come off. Each time you take the pods off or put them back one or more of the springy baskets will collapse or break.

You cannot use horizontal force because you risk breaking the tab. Roll the pod slightly downwards from the top first then pull hard at an angle of about 45 degrees. Once the top basket loosens the others should follow. You do need a strong pull. If the pods have not been off in a while they will be harder to remove. If you are staying with baskets, give them and the pegs a good coating of grease or never seize copper grease. But magnets are the way! Modify, fit and forget. The fairing tab becomes a bit superfluous when you fit 3 strong Neodymium magnets - They are Soooo strong.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2013, 10:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks! I will try to repair my right pod this weekend--I will see what I need once I have it removed. Can I use lithium grease or WD40 spray to lubricate the baskets and pins?

Needless to say, the design engineers at BMW Motorrad got it wrong and should have used an integrated bat wing fairing directional.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2013, 6:27 pm
Addict

Lithium or MS3 silicone grease better long term as it stays put.

WD40 may be helpful if you can squirt some into the baskets through the gap around the pods before you try pulling them off.

If they could not get a nice comfy seat, what makes you think they could get the pods right?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2013, 6:55 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy

If fairing tab is completely broken what should I do? I currently am not inclined to do your innovative magnet repair due to lack of tools and a workbench to do the correct fabrication. Will probably be force to buy the new backing plate and put more money into the corporate coffers of the Break My Wallet Mottorad division in Munich.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2013, 5:28 am
Addict

I always thought the fairing tab was more trouble than its worth. There are plenty of fasteners at the top of that fairing section, so I do not think the tab is helping the fairing. I think it is there to give some extra support to the pod, maybe damp any pod vibration. But to be honest, I've never missed mine on the left side. Even with the old baskets, I doubt a pod would come off at 200 mph as they are on there so tight! The last resort if you lane split and hit a van or truck mirror will be the wiring, which should leave the pod hanging in its clip until you stop.

When mine broke, or rather cracked and went floppy, there was no damage on the external visible side of the plastic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode