Newbie - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2013, 2:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Hi all, long time rider first time BMW. Seems like everyone finds these bikes in there 50's or so. I have ridden mostly every type of bike, started off with a 1974 Kawasaki Z-1 900.

Of course I went from a mini bike to the Z-1...lol then after awhile I started ridding Harley's along with the rest of my ridding group at the time. Nothing against the HD but after ridding and seeing the technology on other bikes and tired of the low power without spending another $10,000 grand to get it to move.

I bought my first Sport Tourer in 05 a Yamaha FJR, Awesome machine and light years from the HD. The power & performance was leaps ahead and the handling as well.

I kept that bike a few years, it had a real problem with throwing engine heat into your crotch which was starting to become an issue in the FL summers. Sold it and moved on with my search for perfection.

In comes the Fat Lady the F6 Cruiser the one and only Valkyrie. This my friends is one of the best machines on 2 wheels !! since 07 i have owned 3 Valkyries and they were the best cruiser's I have ever been on.

My last bike has been gone now for a few years, I lost a close friend to a Motorcycle wreck and I took some time off. Now I have the itch to get back in the saddle again, and I am looking for something between a FJR & Valkyrie. And I think I found it in a lightly used 2002 K1200RS that I found thru a friend of a friend.

It has 35,000 miles with all verified service, it has the 2 hard side bags and a huge top bag as well. The bike also has a Sargent Seat, which was very popular with the FJR crowd as well. It is a Black bike which I love and it has one blemish on the lower fairing where when new he tipped over on the apron of his driveway.

It is really minor and no other marks, he lost his footing and went over with the bike holding up the weight as he went over, so the scratch is minimal. The bike has no sign of oil leaks or anything wet to the touch. The bike needs tires ASAP and he is selling it because he got a great deal on a newer BMW which he already owns.

So I think I am getting a Great deal on this bike, I am getting it for $4200.00 and he is throwing in the Clymer Manuel as well. Sorry for the long story but I will get some pictures up when I pick her up. Looking forward to doing some riding again and maybe meet up with a few like minded people from this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2013, 2:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

pictures

Here are a few pictures the seller sent me of my new ride
I will be buying tires ASAP maybe some of u could point me in the right direction on brand and size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	14259   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	14260  

Last edited by Bronxboy; Aug 1st, 2013 at 3:16 pm.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2013, 8:34 pm
Enthusiast

new to you K12RS

Hi Nick,

Congrats on the new bike, and for getting back on the proverbial horse. I also have a black 2002 K12RS. Must send you some pics, so you can see what kind of stuff (farkles) you can put on this thing.

I noticed from the pics that you have the extra wide lids on your saddlebags. Be careful threading through traffic, as these make the bike abnormally fat !! Sargent seat is the cat's ass. Don't part with that !!

You also have a taller than stock windscreen on there. Looks like the GT screen. I'm 6' 2" and I found I had a not so smooth airflow using this screen. Sold it the same year.

Givi topcase is nice. May cause a bit of a weave when you get up around 75-80mph. Check to make sure it's mounted securely. I bought a used 52 litre Coocase from a guy up the highway from you. Now I have a secure place for my Shoei Multitec helmet.
All my previous other helmets fit in the right saddlebag, but not this one. Shows how your head swells over time, riding a BMW.

You'll be getting to know your dealer quite well. Regular service is important.

I'll stop there. Round up some pics for you. Let me know if you have any questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2013, 8:39 pm
Enthusiast

Tires

Yes. Tires. I've always used Metzelers. I ride when it's cold, when it's wet. The Z6 is a nice tire. The Z8's on the bike now are excellent, except the front is cupping in a strange way. Will be sending some pics to Metzeler and asking them what's going on.
Dealer told me that some of K1600GT guys complained about the Z8's.

Others swear by Michelins. Have a look on the forums. There's plenty of info. Stick with the 120/70-17 for the front, and assuming you have the 5.5" rear wheel, stick with the 180/55-17 size.

Good luck.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2013, 8:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Are there a lot of maintenance issues with these bikes? Or can I just keep the fluids clean and ride. Not looking for job just looking to ride without any hassles. I am pretty good with wrenches but the Valkyrie spoiled me.

I never did anything but change the fluids and ride, that's what I am looking for in this bike hopefully. If there is something I should know please tell me as I pick it up tomorrow.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2013, 10:21 pm
Enthusiast

Not to worry . . .

It's not like a Japanese bike. It's just that once you get on these forums, you end up knowing more about the bike than you ever thought you would. Not to worry. If you were on the FJR forums, you'd be in the same boat. Brake fluid is important wheel circuit needs flushing every year, and the control circuit, every year.

Sounds like you can do your own oil and drive fluids.

Sorry, have to go. Talk with you tomorrow.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 6:23 am
Rookie

Ohhh I like it in black! I have a 2002 K1200RS in silver and red. I freakkin LOVE this bike! The Clymer manual is excellent and gives detailed step by step instructions with plenty of photos. I bought my bike from one of my customers after I did some major services on it so I already knew it well enough. Things are a little harder to get at but with patience and some skill you can do quite a bit of service yourself. Of course this awesome community here is full of experience and advice as well.

I bought mine with saddle bags, Clymer manual, a case of oil filters, a Corbin seat and 22K miles on the clock for $5000. I think $4200 is a pretty good deal.

2001 K1200 RS
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 6:53 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to getting in the saddle.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 7:38 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxboy
Are there a lot of maintenance issues with these bikes? Or can I just keep the fluids clean and ride. Not looking for job just looking to ride without any hassles. I am pretty good with wrenches but the Valkyrie spoiled me.

I never did anything but change the fluids and ride, that's what I am looking for in this bike hopefully. If there is something I should know please tell me as I pick it up tomorrow.
No, usually there's nothing but the usual stuff: filters and fluids. But... be very, very, very sure the fuel line disconnects near the fuel tank have been updated to metal quick disconnects. The stock plastic QD's have two states: failed or gonna fail. When they break, expect a lot of gas all over the bike. Not good, and really not good if the bike's hot. See Pirate's Lair for replacements.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode