another newbie - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2013, 2:23 am Thread Starter
Noob

another newbie

Hey everyone. I just discovered these forums a few weeks ago as I was researching these bikes. I pulled the trigger this evening and bought my 2002 K1200RS. It's my first bike in 17 years, so I'm going to take some time to get back up to speed.

I learned to ride on an old Yamaha Virago, and then traded up to a VFR700, and then had a Honda Nighthawk for a few years. I moved to Los Angeles and didn't bring the bike with me, and that was back in 1996.

I've been in Utah for 10 years, and have finally bit the bullet and bought the bike I always wanted. I'll post more pics, but this is a quick one I snapped after parking it in my garage this evening. I took it out for a quick spin, and it does all com back to you, just like riding a bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluemotorcycle-small.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	14269  

Last edited by kastegir; Aug 11th, 2013 at 5:39 pm. Reason: reduce size of image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2013, 10:09 am
Enthusiast

I'll do it.

Hello and welcome.
Brick K bike are getting a bit long in the tooth, but there's still plenty of life in them.

I own a number of bike right now, including a 2003 K1200GT. Also owned an '04 GT 7 years ago.
Basically the same as your RS especially considering the fact that your RS has the Comfort windscreen (standard on 02--5 GT) and the hand / wind guard, also standard on 02-05 GT.

Poke around, lots to see about these bikes.

For whatever it's worth, I'll give ya a few starters as a welcome to the neighborhood.

All IMO or IME . Your results may vary.

Many k12RS/GT will puff considerable oil smoke on cold start when stored on side stand.
Normal condition. If yours is too much, use the center stand when parking as needed.
It'll help.

Small oil leak at LF of motor (timing chain cover) is fairly normal. Frequently not worth fixing... In you picture it would be creeping around to the bottom FRONT edge of your valve cover

If, on the other side of the bike from your picture, there is a golden yellow discoloration on the visible engine cover,the bike has already suffered a fuel line quick connector (plastic) failure. iF SO, Then they have probably already been replaced with upgrade. If your engine cover is still shiny grey...they might not have failed yet. Many of us change them b-4 they fail as a preventative measure.

I have the same wind screen on my GT. The standard GT Screen. If you find the ride to be too noisy, meaning too much wind roar as the air flow is directed at your helmet, you might consider a Laminar Lip for it.
Got one on mine. IMO Very effective for ~$100
Much more quiet.

If you want to paint the Handguards to match the bike...
Colorite sells spray cans for ~$40.00
They specialize in Motorcycle color match. Never tried them, but I would if I needed to.

Oh, one more thing. The OEM headlight sucks.
Not enough for nigh-time riding at any speed other than parade.

Refresher riders courses are always a good idea.
Caution... It's wilder than ever out there.
Expect the unexpected.
Knock wood for all of us.

That's my gift to you.
do enjoy
d'milan

Last edited by DMilan; Aug 11th, 2013 at 10:14 am.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2013, 12:12 pm
Addict

Er, are you posting the pic from Australia? Everthing's upside down. [/big wink]

Seriously, welcome to the fun!

I'd lose that windshield in a heartbeat, particularly out west where the wind really blows. That windshield is pain waiting to happen, plain and simple. Go back to the stock windshield and all will be well. Honest.

On the quick disconnect issue - the original QD's are made from Delrin or something like it. On the male side of each QD, there's a small spout with an o-ring at the end. The spout shears off at the base or at the groove for the o-ring. When that happens, gas comes out of the line. If this happens when the engine's running and the fuel pump is pumping...

The quick fix for the headlight is to replace the low beam H3 (halogen) lamp with an HID lamp from DDM Tuning for $23. This is a for-real HID lamp, not an incandescent lamp painted blue. The installation involves putting hole in the back of the lamp assembly dust cover (search on HID installation here), but the results are vastly better and don't involve adding external lights.

I Highly recommend David L. Hough's Profficient Motorcycling for coming back up to speed on riding.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2013, 2:28 pm
Veteran

There I spinned it for you or was that just me seeing the thumbnail upside down???

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2013, 2:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I really appreciate the advice and insights.

I had already read about the QD issue, and I'll check that today.
Is it a pretty easy thing to do myself?

I'm not a huge fan of the touring windshield that's on the bike. I had planned to replace it with something more like the factory original. Is there a good source for those besides a dealer or junkyard? I checked out Pirates Lair, and they're out of stock on all models for my bike.

The book looks like a great refresher, so I'll order that today. Thanks again for that tip!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Enthusiast

ya know
now that I look at that screen again

Is it a Cee Baileys or a BMW comfort?
Should say down low center on the screen.

dmilan
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2013, 5:38 pm Thread Starter
Noob

It's a Cee Baileys. It's nice, just not my style.
It looks like it's pretty easy to swap it out.

BTW, got the image flipped. Sometimes Apple's Preview app does that. Photoshop fixes it.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2013, 6:24 pm
Enthusiast

I thought so.

One was included with the sale when I bought my used 2003 GT .....Light green tinted...

It was quite effective. If a bit cludgy. I sort of liked it.
They quit making them.
I've learned that the heavy weight of the screen, combined with the rather harsh front end, the tabs kept breaking off.

Originally, I was refereeing to a BMW K1200GT standard screen with a Laminar Lip

The best set-up if you want protection is Aeroflow.
They don't make 'em anymore.

Some are convinced that less is better...
clean air flow and all that jazz....
to each his/her own.

enjoy
d'milan

Last edited by DMilan; Aug 13th, 2013 at 6:30 am.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2013, 7:44 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Ok, at the risk of asking a dumb question, is there a trick to getting the BMW hard bags to clamp onto the mounting rails.

When I bought the bike, they were attached. I had the seller show me how to put them on and take them off, and after removing them, I cant get them back on.

The center brace that rises up and grabs the rail seems to not line up quite right. I'm just wondering if there's some trick to getting it to grab more easily.

Any info is appreciated.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2013, 5:21 pm
Enthusiast

Not really
Quite straightforward
Ya got the 2 hangers up top, and the lower schtugie, 6 inches below the front hanger that fits in the channel.

You do have them unlocked (handle up) right?

d'milan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode