How much for a 97KRS w/ under 5000 miles - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2013, 8:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

How much for a 97KRS w/ under 5000 miles

I am currently in negotiations on a 1997 K1200RS with less than 5000 miles on it. First of all the miles are very low for good reasons. Other bikes, other toys, and now , no time. The bike is not perfect. It has an extra fairing because it got scratched when it fell off the canter stand. It comes with a newer battery, newer tires (less than 1000), extra set of handle bars and seat because of after markets are on the bike now.
Now the down side.
Problem #1) Since sitting a while in will turn over but not start. We believe it's the fuel pump. Dealer said $3-$500 to replace.
Problem #2) I offered $2000, he wants $4000. I didn't think he would take it but I figured it would be a good place to start, I just didn't think he would be that high and firm about it. He definitely doesn't need the money but it's going bad sitting. I put a couple hundred miles on the bike myself and that's how I come to like it so much. Deal's Gap is an awesome ride if you've never been. The bikes never been down other then the tip over, no drips or leaks anywhere. I keep hearing how good the mid 2000 KRSs are. Are they noticeably better than a 97 ? Are they worth the price difference from this bike? How much would really be a fair price under this condition? He claims everything else is just fine with the bike. I've known him for years. I think he would be honest with me, but what else could be wrong anyway? A 97 has limited computer and such right ? So if you don't mind helping/advising it would help a bunch. I had 3 Yamahas, 2 Suzuki, 2 Honda, and 1 fast turn for the money Kawasaki, never had a bad one.This is different . Anyone...???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2013, 1:31 pm
Addict

All I can say is that you are looking at a lot of deferred maintenance. 16 years with 5k miles means -all new hoses, brake lines, flush everything, orig tires? new tires, on and on. Not saying is wasn't a great bike and if you can do all the work yourself probably 2-2.5k in parts. Dealer would want guessing 3k+ for thorough go thru. So, $2.500 and you're into it for 5k+. Is it worth it-your decision. $4k and he can keep it.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2013, 2:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorritt
All I can say is that you are looking at a lot of deferred maintenance. 16 years with 5k miles means -all new hoses, brake lines, flush everything, orig tires? new tires, on and on. Not saying is wasn't a great bike and if you can do all the work yourself probably 2-2.5k in parts. Dealer would want guessing 3k+ for thorough go thru. So, $2.500 and you're into it for 5k+. Is it worth it-your decision. $4k and he can keep it.
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you did because hoses, yes, but didn't think about brake lines. I see you had a couple mid 2000s and about the 06, but what about the 04 ? One thought behind the 97 was the small amount of computer controlled items. Am I wrong about that ? I know of an 06 KS with only 10,750 miles and he's down to $9450. Very sharp looking but I'm concerned about 180HP and tickets. I keep coming back to the 97 because they're is something about it that I love, I just can't put my finger on it. I feel as long as I get a K bike I'll be happy, I just don't want to go broke and I want to be riding, not parked, fixing it all the time. Other wise I'd get a Harley! LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2013, 10:35 pm
Enthusiast

Alan . . .

Good points, what the other poster said. The tires would be scrap. Anything rubber needs a doin'. 16 years old is the issue.

There is a computer for "engine management" (fuel / air , idle speed ,etc), and for the ABS pump.

It's a great bike, but you need to remind this guy (friend) that you will have to put X amount of $$ into it just to make it safe to ride day in and day out.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2013, 12:36 pm
Addict

According to Kelly Blue Book, The retail price is around $3900 and the retail trade-in is about $2500. And those prices cover the dealer's cost to take the bike in and prep it. In short, $4K on the street for a bike that's been sitting without maintenance and which doesn't start...? [/ROFL]

Unless your life depends on owning this bike or you do restorations, I'd walk away. The miles may be low, but in addition to tired rubber, in lovely Gulfport, FL I believe you have this thing called humidity or "air you can wear" for long stretches. I wonder what's condensed in the fuel tank, the hydraulics (that fluid is hydrophilic - sucks up water), the crankcase... it doesn't bear thinking about. Cranks but doesn't start could be anything from dead or dying ignition to clogged fuel passages to the fuel pump to... Again, I'd pass unless you want to buy a project. And for $2K? Still "nah".

The bike may be in better shape than we're saying, but "no start" is a big red flag. I went down that road with a Honda CB900 Custom that was a "barn bike". I didn't even get a t-shirt for being there. Or maybe I lost my shirt?

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode