Dealer scratched during repair - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 6:14 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thumbs down Dealer scratched during repair

I stopped to check on status of my bike yesterday on my lunch hour and when looking over the bike (they were just putting on the panels after extensive repairs for oil leaks, clutch, NavII install, etc.) and noticed a scratch on the left panel (about 10 inches long) extending along the top.

I immediately pointed it out to the service tech and reported to the manager. He said he would look into it. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well last night. I'm going back to shop today to find out what "fix" they intend on doing. Should I settle for touch up paint (if they can make it disappear) or should I insist on new panel. It the large right side panel.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 6:35 am

Talking Losing sleep?

Please, it's a piece of plastic, chill a bit. I'm sure they will fix it to your satisfaction. It's only a matter of time until you drop it in your garage anyway, maybe tis will hold off that event! ;-))
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 6:50 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Unhappy Yeha, done that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws
Please, it's a piece of plastic, chill a bit. I'm sure they will fix it to your satisfaction. It's only a matter of time until you drop it in your garage anyway, maybe tis will hold off that event! ;-))
That already happend last year, dropped it in garage and replaced the panel so this one was bran-spankin new.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 7:57 am

Angry Scratch...

I immediately pointed it out to the service tech and reported to the manager. He said he would look into it. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well last night. I'm going back to shop today to find out what "fix" they intend on doing. Should I settle for touch up paint (if they can make it disappear) or should I insist on new panel. It the large right side panel.[/QUOTE]

New one if it does not look right to you. They did it, they have insurance plus are liable.
I just had the same thing done on my immaculate pick-up truck grill. If my body man can't fix it where you can't see it, it is going to cost my mechanic $300.00 for a new one.
The scratch is only 4-5 inches long, but gouged right down into the plastic/paint.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 8:01 am
Veteran

Thumbs up

That's easy..If it's actually in the paint... a new panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03k12RS
I stopped to check on status of my bike yesterday on my lunch hour and when looking over the bike (they were just putting on the panels after extensive repairs for oil leaks, clutch, NavII install, etc.) and noticed a scratch on the left panel (about 10 inches long) extending along the top.

I immediately pointed it out to the service tech and reported to the manager. He said he would look into it. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well last night. I'm going back to shop today to find out what "fix" they intend on doing. Should I settle for touch up paint (if they can make it disappear) or should I insist on new panel. It the large right side panel.

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 8:01 am
Veteran

I doubt it can be touched up so as to look as new. I would insist on the panel being replaced. When I take my bike in for any service I demand only one thing, that my bike is returned to me in exactly the same condition it was brought in.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 2:14 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03k12RS
I had a small panel scratched by the mechanic at Honda Northwest in Columbus, Ohio. The panel replacement was ordered before they called me on the phone to tell me about the scratch.

I've had the large side panels painted on a 98 a couple of times to take care of extensive scratches from low speed low sides. The work was done in Columbus at IBS, a foreign car body shop. The work was perfect and cost a fraction of what a new panel would have been.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 2:35 pm

I had the same thing happen to mines. Found couple knicks around the screw area on the lower belly pan. I knew they had to remove the panel. I left it alone since it was not that noticeable. A scratch as big as you're describing, would not be acceptable to me. I would have them replace it.

My recent visit to the shop for the update ECU, I removed all the panels before bringing the bike in. I rode the bike there with no panels.

'04 K1200RS- sold
'06 R1150GS Adventure ( Final Edition ) ( Still in Crate) 4-sale
'04 Honda RC51 ( still in the crate!) 4 sale
'08 BMW HP2 Sport #43 (awsome)
'09 BMW HP2 Sport w/ABS #77 ( still in crate)
'10 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 5:55 pm

I don't think a touch-up has any chance of looking decent. It could be repainted, but that may not hold up as well as an original panel or fade the same. I think a new panel is the only way to go. I'm sure the shop's insurance has a deductible higher than the cost of the panel, and even if they made a claim it would likely raise their rates.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:40 pm
Veteran

new is the only way.......they never repaint anymore....even insur co. knows that....infact they know better to even ask......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode