Headlight Bulbs.......Silverstars.. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Question Headlight Bulbs.......Silverstars..

OK, another dummie question. Our bikes (K12GT's) call for a H3 & H7 bulb, correct?.
Has anyone bought and are using the Sylvania Silverstars bulbs. I am getting conflicting
"application" info on them. I am assuming it is a Silverstar H3ST, and H7ST . I do not mean thier "Cool Blue" bulbs. Plus, yes, I have been recommended to switch to HID, but at this time I do not wish to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 9:42 am

Thumbs up Hell Yea ...I like them

I use the H7 - low beam, it works the best. The high beam H3 does not get the same bang for your buck. Cabnfvr turn me on to them a couple of years ago. Do Not touch the glass bulb, it will not last as long.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 9:53 am

Headlights

My dealer installed Piaa's, the ground wire melted,dealer would not warrany groundwire because of Piaa bulbs installed were not stock bulbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:23 am
"Hey Y'all"

Conflict this ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawK12GT
...Our bikes (K12GT's) call for a H3 & H7 bulb, correct?.
Yep.

Quote:
Has anyone bought and are using the Sylvania Silverstars bulbs. I am getting conflicting "application" info on them.
The Phillips Vision Plus or the Osram / Sylvania SilverStars will out perfrom ANY 55 watt replacement bulb. As for the PIAA 55=85, I can see NO difference between a side by side comparison (at night, btw) between the PIAA and the Vision Plus. There is a difference to the wallet, but that seems to shed very little light on the topic. The stock wiring still sees only 55 to 60 watts using the Vision or Silverstars, so there is no problem there.

Quote:
Plus, yes, I have been recommended to switch to HID, but at this time I do not wish to.
If a replacement bulb wasn't so $$$, and if I thought I could find one in Colorado or Arizona or wherver on any Sunday I'd have HID, but my comfort level isn't there. (but auxilliary lighting is a must).

p.s. I was wrong on a post last week (crusie cable), so this info should be good.

p.s.s. I tried one of those "purple HID equivalent" bulbs a couple of years ago. They look BRIGHT in the daytime, and suck at night.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Wink Back at ya........

[QUOTE=CABNFVR]Yep.

[color=blue]The Phillips Vision Plus or the Osram / Sylvania SilverStars will out perfrom ANY 55 watt replacement bulb.

Mr. Cab'nFvr, Is there anything you don't know about these bikes???. HA. Anyway, I have not looked at the "Vision Plus" yet. Is the "lumens" high??. Plus, nobody ended up answering my specific question, is the model(s) Silverstars H3 "ST", and H7 "ST" the right one?. I am assuming (DUHHHHHHHHHH) the "ST" stands for Silverstar. I have found both these for $19.95 each, sound like a decent price to you?. Thanks.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 1:43 pm
Addict

[QUOTE=RedHawK12GT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABNFVR
Yep.

[color=blue]The Phillips Vision Plus or the Osram / Sylvania SilverStars will out perfrom ANY 55 watt replacement bulb.

Mr. Cab'nFvr, Is there anything you don't know about these bikes???. HA. Anyway, I have not looked at the "Vision Plus" yet. Is the "lumens" high??. Plus, nobody ended up answering my specific question, is the model(s) Silverstars H3 "ST", and H7 "ST" the right one?. I am assuming (DUHHHHHHHHHH) the "ST" stands for Silverstar. I have found both these for $19.95 each, sound like a decent price to you?. Thanks.

That's the going price... I paid 20 bucks each at Auto Zone here in Florida for both the low and high beam. I think mine said "ST" on it too.
Also, for what it's worth, I had the Vision Plus on prior to it burning out after about 14k miles. I went to the Sylvania 'cause I could source it locally rather than ordering. I thought it put out a slightly better light than the Phillips VP. But that's just my impression, and it may have to do with the old bulb performance diminishing with age. As CBNFVR said they're both noticably better than stock... And auxillary lights are a must for serious night runining. I have the PIAA 1100s and like them a lot.

Now you have to install the pain in the ass thing. I'll be looking for that post .
Good luck
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2006, 3:27 pm

I have the Phillips Vision Plus bulbs, Purchased from this outfit: http://www.motogear4you.com/
The owner, raffyk, is a member of this forum.
I have them running through relays and a heavier ground wire on my 04RS. I live in the country, and they are a significant improvement over the stock bulbs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode