throttle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2013, 6:06 pm Thread Starter
Noob

throttle

I have two K1200lts and I found a K1200RS which my dad ended up buying.

I am on the LT site but could not find the information and was wondering if you guys could help me.

The bike is awesome but my only complaint is the stiff throttle. I want to fix it for him since it is much harder to use the power if it is stiff.
Both of my K1200lts have the throttle kit upgrades and are much easier to drive.

I want to solve my dads throttle. Here is my question.

The upgraded throttle kit is the same for the LT but the cables are different on the RS?

it has cruise control like my LT.

I was looking to buy the following

BMW OEM Part - SET: REP.KIT ACCELERATOR CABLE DEFLECTION - D=45MM (from 12/04)
Part Number 32727691990

BMW OEM Part - THROTTLE CABLE, BREAK CONTACT (from 12/04)
Part Number 32737694490

BMW - ACCELERATOR CABLE, CONNECTOR (to 12/04)
Part Number 32737694491

The new cables are different than the older stock ones. they have a black plastic adjuster where the older stock have smaller metal adjusters.

I wonder if I have to buy both cables to get them to work with the new throttle kit?

I will also let some pressure off the spring but it does not seem so definitive as with the LT?

Any help as I want to get this solved while there is still some decent weather.

Thanks,

Ian

I would spend more time introducing myself but I won't be on this forum much unless I buy my dads 2002 K1200RS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2013, 2:08 pm
Addict

My KRS doesn't have cruise and altering the springs made a world of difference. It is no good doing this first unless you have checked the cable routings for very gentle bends and got their friction right down. But I can see with drag from the cruise cable, it may not work so well.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2013, 9:05 pm
Enthusiast

You don't need the cruise control cable. It's lower end attaches to a different place on the throttle rail and only moves when you are using the cruise control. The improved cables are indeed an improvement. With them, there is no need to alter the return springs. Getting the routing and adjustment right is critical. If not done right, effort will be higher and the cruise control won't work.

The part numbers you have are for the LT. Unless the bike has some extreme bar backs on it, you should use those for an RS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2013, 12:45 am Thread Starter
Noob

The part numbers you have are for the LT. Unless the bike has some extreme bar backs on it, you should use those for an RS.[/QUOTE]

The challenge is finding the RS cables that have the black plastic adjuster ends to go with the throttle assembly kit. see the picture below of the new cable style, left of the tag the bend is done in the new cable. The old cables the bend is done in the deflector.

the cable bend piece goes into part 17 on this parts list

look at the cable ends they don't look like they work for the updated deflector,

I don't want to buy the same cables that are on the bike now. Since they have the short metal adjusters they won't work with the new throttle tube parts.

2005 and newer LT's switched to the new cables and grip assembly pieces.

I believe the 2004 RS switched?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2013, 10:45 am Thread Starter
Noob

new cables

old cable end on top new cable end on bottom.

Not from same bike but this is the old stock bend vs the cable.

old design on a gs

new design seen here.

I will swap out and post a step by step later.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2013, 9:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

Job done

Did three projects yesterday for my dad,

HID headlight ( low beam)
recovered seat ( Ebay cover from Poland)
replaced stock cables with the new improved ones from an LT.

Yes the cables were too long so I routed them under the headlight. They go in a big bend and does not follow original path behind the radiator.

The throttle functions again, smooth and unobtrusive. The bend being in the throttle cable makes it much easier. I did not need to take any pressure off the spring since it is really easy to use the throttle.

If I was to do this project again, I would source new RS cables that work with the improved throttle adapter kit. If I couldn't find them I would reroute and use the LT
ones.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2013, 7:19 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug66
Did three projects yesterday for my dad,

HID headlight ( low beam)
recovered seat ( Ebay cover from Poland)
replaced stock cables with the new improved ones from an LT.

Yes the cables were too long so I routed them under the headlight. They go in a big bend and does not follow original path behind the radiator.

The throttle functions again, smooth and unobtrusive. The bend being in the throttle cable makes it much easier. I did not need to take any pressure off the spring since it is really easy to use the throttle.

If I was to do this project again, I would source new RS cables that work with the improved throttle adapter kit. If I couldn't find them I would reroute and use the LT
ones.

Pictures during the project or AFTER, would be very useful.. ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode