Retrofit LED Brake light on at all times..... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2013, 1:04 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Retrofit LED Brake light on at all times.....

My 2006 K1200S has an additional LED brake light fixture under the license plate. It is the one that pulses and then comes on as you apply the brakes. it was working well until just recently when i turned off the key and left the bike in the garage. Came back several hours later to discover that my retrofitted LED brake light fixture is on even with the key turned to off position.
The light does not pulse any longer when the brake handle/pedal is pressed but just comes on and stays on at all times.

i disconnected it (four wire connector) and am now trying to find out what is happening. Any thoughts? I'd hate to have to start tracing electric wires, but if that is the only way to find out i'll do it.

anyone had similar issues? whey are there four wires going into that LED brake light fixture?

Petar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2013, 9:44 am
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by petar
My 2006 K1200S has an additional LED brake light fixture under the license plate. It is the one that pulses and then comes on as you apply the brakes. it was working well until just recently when i turned off the key and left the bike in the garage. Came back several hours later to discover that my retrofitted LED brake light fixture is on even with the key turned to off position.
The light does not pulse any longer when the brake handle/pedal is pressed but just comes on and stays on at all times.

i disconnected it (four wire connector) and am now trying to find out what is happening. Any thoughts? I'd hate to have to start tracing electric wires, but if that is the only way to find out i'll do it.

anyone had similar issues? whey are there four wires going into that LED brake light fixture?

Petar
I had the same problem. Dealer replaced the unit. if you have enough electrical knowledge and tools, you may be able to fix it. The circuit board is shot and there is no replacement part available. the while unit is $150.00

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2013, 2:09 pm

Or just replace the unit with a set of Skene P3 lights. Programmable via the brake lever, so you can set the type of flash you want upon braking, and can also function as hazard flashers. Skene also stands behind their products if you do have a problem with them.

Just a satisfied customer,

GTRider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2013, 2:16 pm
Addict

It worked and then suddenly stopped working? Either something ugly happened with the wiring or the thing is outright broken. If you used those wretched 3M "vampire" connectors, that's a prime suspect. Do the job right with properly crimped spade or bullet connectors. Vampire clips are notorious for poor connections. In this case, some sort of odd return path could have been created when a normal connection either failed or ended in a high resistance connection.

If the wiring is 100%, then you're left with the flasher is toast.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode