2000 K 1200 RS ABS Lights - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2013, 6:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2000 K 1200 RS ABS Lights

Can someone please enlighten me about my ABS dash lights? My lights don't come on at all. They don't come on with the switch in the on position, or when the engine is running, or when the brakes are applied. I'm not familiar with ABS brakes. Are the lights suppose to come on when the ABS system isn't working? Our owners manual say little about the ABS system. When are the ABS lights suppose to come? Do they only come on when the ABS system us working correctly? I would like to have a better understanding about what's happening, so when I take my bike in for a brake inspection, I'll have a better understanding what the technician might tell me.

A little explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2013, 9:02 pm
Rookie

My 2002 K1200RS flashes the "brake failure" light until I roll the bike a few feet then it goes out and stays out until the next key off/on cycle.

2001 K1200 RS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 7:37 am
Enthusiast

ABS lites should normally come on and flash, until you roll the bike, which should clear the flashing lites. I would check to see if someone has removed the bulbs to 'solve?' an ABS problem.

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 10:00 am
Veteran

Not sure about the 2000, but my 2003 i-ABS has a "ABS warning relay". All it does seemingly is to control the warning lights from signals coming from the ABS control unit..

Clymer shows one for the 2000, but there seems to be so many errors on that diagram that I wouldn't trust it for anything.

I say seemingly controls the light, I also don't get the flashing warning light for the selftest less the bike has been sitting for a while, then it will come on again. Looks like it is an "always on" relay (reversed), means when the power is applied to it the contact is broken and light goes off.

What I think is happening with my bike is that the relay fuses after a few minutes of riding. Then takes a while for it to cool off, unfuses and then I get my light back.Getting worse btw, used to get the light back after a couple hours. 2 days the other day and still no light altough it eventually did come back on temporarily. I am waiting for some more info on that before I look in the electrical box but everything else is functionning properly for now and no faults showing with the GS911.

Can't even find that relay for my year in the parts fiche, waiting for someone with one of them on the bench to send me the info/part number and maybe relay specs so that maybe I can rig another one temporarily in place of the OEM and see what's up with my lights.

So yes on your bike I'd look in the dash first to see if the bulb is even there. May be burned. If that checks out maybe look in the electrical box where the relay is (or maybe isn't) if someone removed it to get rid of flashing lights. Works that way with the i-ABS, again don't know about the earlier bikes. Bulb first....much easier than going into the electrical "jack-in-the-box".

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 8:03 pm
Enthusiast

Since your bike is a 2000, it should have ABS2. The warning lights with this system are supposed to flash alternately until the control unit sees signals from the wheel sensors. 2.5 MPH is the threshold at which the lights should go out. It is possible, as mentioned above, that someone has removed the bulbs because of chronic ABS problems. We had a lot of trouble with ABS2.

If I were you, I'd buy a GS-911, or find someone who has one. This will save you a lot of time in diagnosis.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2013, 9:11 pm
Addict

[/headscratch] Or maybe take it to a dealer? They usually have people who know about this sort of stuff...

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 3:16 pm
Enthusiast

I think the first thing I would do is test to see if the ABS is working. Find a dirt road or sandy spot and have just a little speed and depress the REAR brake pedal fully, do it rapidly and hold it down hard for a little bit forcing a rear wheel lock-up, as long as you can stand it or until the ABS kicks in and releases the rear in a pulsing manner, which should be immediatley when the rear is locked. If the ABS does not kick in, then, there is an issue, a Big issue. If the ABS does kick in, you can relax a little bit and start pulling the necessary body panels so you can remove the dash to check whether or not there is a bulb. Bulbs are inexpensive and they can burn out. If the bulb is there, remove it and test it, I don't recall the wattage, it is low, but it is a 12 volt bulb and should be easy to test.
If there is no bulb....then....I would presume that someone removed it because the ABS relay is fried and the prior owner decided to remove the bulb rather than fix the relay. Or, perhaps, as indicated above, the relay kept frying out or the light was continueing to flash because of a larger issue with the braking system. The only problem I have ever had with my ABS on the 2000.....well, I was told the clutches in the unit went bad. This required a full replacement of the unit. Back then, it was about $1500 for the part, over $2000 now, and then the labor to get it put it. I was having my clutch and tranny seal done under warranty so I had them do the ABS install at the same time....I got a used ABS unit for about $450 and all has worked as new since.
Your post indicates you may have recently purchased this bike from a private party. It may be time to contact that party and say...Hey, what's up?

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2013, 4:02 pm
Noob

I have an 00 RS.
Two red ABS lights flash together at start up and for first couple of meters then they go off (system test).

No lights on under normal operation.

A problem is indicated by lights flashing alternately.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode